Phasemation PP-2000 vs. Dynavector XV-1t

Milimetr

Dec 29, 2017
Poland
Hello,
i currently own Phasemation PP-1000 and use them with Origin Live 12” tonearm. My cart is over 2000 hours of use so I look for replacement.
After trying a few carts in my setup I narrowed the search for two cartridges in the post title.
I have briefly heard Dynavector in my system and like almost R2R realism and „a studio” type of sound. Pure, simple and honest.
I did not heard PP-2000 but I like PP-1000 in my system, however sometimes I found it a litthe too bright or edgy.
Anybody heard PP-2000 and can compare the sound difference with PP-1000?
thanks.

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Hello,
i currently own Phasemation PP-1000 and use them with Origin Live 12” tonearm. My cart is over 2000 hours of use so I look for replacement.
After trying a few carts in my setup I narrowed the search for two cartridges in the post title.
I have briefly heard Dynavector in my system and like almost R2R realism and „a studio” type of sound. Pure, simple and honest.
I did not heard PP-2000 but I like PP-1000 in my system, however sometimes I found it a litthe too bright or edgy.
Anybody heard PP-2000 and can compare the sound difference with PP-1000?
thanks.
Hi there,

I also own (since a few days only..) a Phasemation cart ie. their PP-500 model. I have read that the PP-2000 was launched first, then they derived the PP-500 out of it. The PP-1000 is an older design, as far as I understand the various iterations of the Phasemation cartridges.

I paired my PP-500 with a 12” Brinkmann tonearm. I would not say that the mid-high and high frequencies are ‘hot’ nor bright. But clearly the PP-500 is a cart full of energy, impact and musical presence. Mine is not broken-in yet, and its treble extension is good, although not as extended and delicate as my dCS Vivaldi DAC (a King in this domain). On the other side, I obtain more ‘instrumental presence’ with the PP-500 than with the dCS.
I also bought a REGA Atlas cart scale to fine tune really properly the VTF. It seems very little changes can be quite noticeable.
I guess the PP-2000 should be a good step above the PP-500 (sharing the same design elements but on a higher level). Some friends and dealers told me that the next large upgrade step after the PP-500 is actually switching brand and opt for the MuTech cartridge!

Ps: I have no experience nor solid feedback whatsoever with Dynavector cartridges ; sorry about that ...

More news on a fully run-in PP-500 by February. I am currently away from Home for some weeks

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I own a Phasemation PP-2000, and run it through a stereo pair of Phasemation T-2000 step up transformers to my MM phono stage, and it is the best sounding phono playback that I have ever heard. I did listen to a Phasemation PP-500 (amongst other well known cartridges, but not the Dynavector) first on my system before deciding to fork out for the better (much more expensive) pairing. Because there were no reviews on line of these together, I wrote my own for my dealers web page that you can read here: https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/customer-review-of-phasemation-pp-2000-stereo-cartridge, if still on his site, or just search Review Phasemation T-2000 and it should be the first entry top of page. Hope this helps (and not too late).

Reactions: shakti

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Although the combination of the Phasemation PP-2000 MC cartridge and Phasemation T-2000 step up transformers gives me the best sound my stereo has ever had, perhaps the best sound I have ever heard as well, I must agree with Michael Fremer on his Stereophile review of the cartridge that it may not be the best for hard rock n roll.

Reactions: amadeus and shakti

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Any news on these cartridges or maybe another comparisons between the PP-2000 and maybe AirTight, MSL signature platinum, Sumile or Etsuro?

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
A short news is that I got a demo if the Phasemation PP-500 paired with the EA-1200 from the same brand, and it was … a pure musical bliss. One incredible moment in audiophile life. I could not imagine what this really expensive Phono stage could deliver with the higher end PP-2000.
Since this moment I’m a firm believer that the phono stage is the most important element in vinyl playback.
Really fantastic results can already be achieved using a mid-range MC cart. No need to spend a fortune (> 5K$ ) on a cartridge that will get used and will need periodic replacement, in any case.

Reactions: Cristian

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
“I could not imagine…..“
“No need to spend….“

…maybe you should really try it and hear it for yourself to believe it. Maybe then you will willing to pay more for a cartridge, too. Maybe…
But of course, cartridge/phonostage synergy is important in every price range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing