Pass XP-20 vs XP30 how do they compare? or Any CJ users w/ Pass Amp's

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
I am wondering howXP-20 compares to the 30? If you have experience with both please feel free to update me. I am wanting more Bass control and bouncing on what to do? XA25 amp, and XP20, XP15 phono w/ Wilson Sophia II's and JA Michelle Orbe SE w/ SME V arm.
Previous CJ user with many CJ Pre's and thinking about going back to CJ Pre w/ Pass Amp

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
The three things that have made the most impact on low end control in my system were:
1. Room treatment
2. Speaker Placement
3. More amplification overhead

Regarding point #3, I've gone from the XA30.5 -> XA60.5's -> XA100.5's and now have XA160.8's. As I moved up the line, a better control of the speaker was always noticed.

Current speakers only have seen the XA100.5's and the XA160.8's, and the overall improvement in speaker control with the XA160.8's was incredible. I was very happy with the XA100.5's until auditioning the XA160.8's in my system as they brought another level of improvement I was not expecting. Note: I've spent a lot of effort on points 1 & 2 to get my setup where I like it as well.

Last edited:

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
I have the CJ ET5 pre with the Pass 350.5 amp. Great synergy IMHO.
I agree, that is a great combination. In my side by side of Premier 16LS2, ET-5 and Pass XP-10, the 16LS2 was a clear winner for depth and control on the low end, even the ET-5 sounded woolly (only when compared to the 16LS2), but the XP-10 had the edge in detail and overall sound. The XP-20 has detail, stage, and overall greatness I'd been missing. Speaker placement will continue to be adjusted. XA25 still holds command of the Wilson Sophia II's, it has the reserves to run them with authority and remain clean and clear while doing so. I use to run CJ Premier 350 (iron fist in velvet glove) and yes could bring it all at low volume and present well with out having to run the volume. The XA25 does it as well at a fraction of rated watts; class A all the way. Its impressive in all terms.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree, that is a great combination. In my side by side of Premier 16LS2, ET-5 and Pass XP-10, the 16LS2 was a clear winner for depth and control on the low end, even the ET-5 sounded woolly (only when compared to the 16LS2), but the XP-10 had the edge in detail and overall sound. The XP-20 has detail, stage, and overall greatness I'd been missing. Speaker placement will continue to be adjusted. XA25 still holds command of the Wilson Sophia II's, it has the reserves to run them with authority and remain clean and clear while doing so. I use to run CJ Premier 350 (iron fist in velvet glove) and yes could bring it all at low volume and present well with out having to run the volume. The XA25 does it as well at a fraction of rated watts; class A all the way. Its impressive in all terms.

The cj Premier 350 is a classic - authority and extremely musical. My only regret about it is the excessive gain if used with sensitive speakers. In such conditions preamplfier tube hiss or hum can become audible. Fortunately the GAT or modern cj tube preamplfiers do not suffer from this problem, but I could not use it with the ART or the ARC REF40.

We can find more detail, less coloration, more bass articulation and depth in many solid state amplifiers, but the gaiety and the unforeseeable character of the Premier 350 are unique. BTW, it needs a long burn-in if kept in storage ...

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
The cj Premier 350 is a classic - authority and extremely musical. My only regret about it is the excessive gain if used with sensitive speakers. In such conditions preamplfier tube hiss or hum can become audible. Fortunately the GAT or modern cj tube preamplfiers do not suffer from this problem, but I could not use it with the ART or the ARC REF40.

We can find more detail, less coloration, more bass articulation and depth in many solid state amplifiers, but the gaiety and the unforeseeable character of the Premier 350 are unique. BTW, it needs a long burn-in if kept in storage ...
Yes, I was fortunate to own the Pre350 twice..... everyone should have the opportunity to have one to listen to while their jaw is dropping.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing