Non-audiophiles who listen to your system...Comments and experiences?

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
A very interesting thread. Read all of it last night and still pondering the replies this morning. When I started reading everyone's comments, I expected to hear that most of your friends would be overwhelmed with hearing music on your systems, but as some mentioned, a lot of people were basically disinterested. In my case, i've experienced both situations, but the majority of people who came by and listened, have such a short attention span. Blame that on our shifting culture which increasingly relies on instant gratification. Wanting to share music with our friends who don't listen as we do, has more to do with our feeling the need to share because of our love of music and not necessarily wanting to show off our gear. Just my two cents....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A very interesting thread. Read all of it last night and still pondering the replies this morning. When I started reading everyone's comments, I expected to hear that most of your friends would be overwhelmed with hearing music on your systems, but as some mentioned, a lot of people were basically disinterested. In my case, i've experienced both situations, but the majority of people who came by and listened, have such a short attention span. Blame that on our shifting culture which increasingly relies on instant gratification. Wanting to share music with our friends who don't listen as we do, has more to do with our feeling the need to share because of our love of music and not necessarily wanting to show off our gear. Just my two cents....

My non-audiophile friends are basically that, and I don't blame them. I might not be particularly interested in their gaming collection or car restoration projects either. It's all a matter of differing interests. Don't get me wrong, I try to take an interest in their hobbies and support what they do, but they know I'm not going to get involved like they are.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Nowadays if someone notices my system I change the subject and we'll go to a different room. If you have to explain it to them they won’t get it, and when you tell them how it works the care a feeding involved and they ask the cost of admission they write you off as a kook.

Just recently we had guests over from Japan who were travelling on business, one of them was an audiophile and gravitated straight to my quad 57s and said “can I hear these!” he went on to tell me about his Magnepans he bought 30-yrs ago, yada, yada. I left him alone with my system only after he demonstrated judicious control of the volume and I felt he wasn’t going to blow anything up. He skipped our meal and listened for two hours straight – that might be the downside of inviting other ‘phles over ;) I didn’t even get 2-hrs with my system that weekend.

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
My non-audiophile friends are basically that, and I don't blame them. I might not be particularly interested in their gaming collection or car restoration projects either. It's all a matter of differing interests. Don't get me wrong, I try to take an interest in their hobbies and support what they do, but they know I'm not going to get involved like they are.

You are right on the money John. In the past, I tried persuading 2 friends to get into audio, but now I don't. Their interests are their own, but like you, I try to show interest in the things they enjoy.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
For awhile now, the usual initial response is 'Where's your vinyl . Course after listening to there own cd's from the car its Heavens, my cd's have never sounded so good Then a few quality disc go in or the look on-non philes when they hear HiRez or quality disc for the first time is priceless. I've had some come back for more listening sessions and others just shrug, that's nice. Its just not their bag.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing