Nice Review of DSD by Andreas Koch

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dang, that is a tricky question micro.

What I wonder is how many SACDs stayed native in DSD throughout the process. Not many I bet.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,
Another tricky question - suppose you digitize analog sources using DSD 128fx , convert to 24 bit 192kHz (the highest PCM resolution we can get in standard consumer DACs) using a software utility and play it at this resolution using a top PCM DAC. Do you get a better result than digitizing directly to PCM 24/192?

LOL... trying to sharpshoot me here, huh?
O'kay.... in my experience, most of the time, if the final product is going to be PCM, it is best to record in PCM in the first place. You always have some degredation in any conversion.
Now with DSD128fs readily available, I have found that if you take the utmost care and use the very best algorithms, a converted DSD128fs file can sound better than it's native PCM file. You couldn't always say this with DSD64fs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
LOL... trying to sharpshoot me here, huh?
O'kay.... in my experience, most of the time, if the final product is going to be PCM, it is best to record in PCM in the first place. You always have some degredation in any conversion.
Now with DSD128fs readily available, I have found that if you take the utmost care and use the very best algorithms, a converted DSD128fs file can sound better than it's native PCM file. You couldn't always say this with DSD64fs.

No, just trying to get free advice from a great expert at WBF :).

And I had success - I now only need to find a seller for the Korg in Europe. BIG THANKS!
If I ever find a way of sending a vintage Porto wine bottle to the USA you will get it!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
No, just trying to get free advice from a great expert at WBF :).

And I had success - I now only need to find a seller for the Korg in Europe. BIG THANKS!
If I ever find a way of sending a vintage Porto wine bottle to the USA you will get it!

You're most certainly welcome, kind sir!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
<snip>

I will PM you my address ... :) Very easy UPS and FedEx are your friends...

I don't drink but Porto would have been after Champagne, my favorite wine ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I will PM you my address ... :) Very easy UPS and FedEx are your friends...

I don't drink but Porto would have been after Champagne, my favorite wine ...

Frank,

If you ask Bruce what is his receipt for " utmost care" and " the very best algorithms", and we got an answer :), I can find a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Brut in my cellar to join the Porto ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing