NEW Luxman C10X Preamplifier First Impressions / Opinion

Polyrhythm9

Nov 25, 2023
New York
I thought I would give people a quick review/opinion of the new Luxman C10X Preamplifier- Not much has been posted so far on this preamp.

Associated Equipment:

Luxman M10X Amplifier
Chord Dave DAC
Aurender N200 Streamer
Magico S3 Mk II Speakers
(average speaker cables/interconnects/powercords)

I've had the C10X for one day as new, so it's not really broken in yet - fyi. The M10X is 2 weeks old with limited use as well.

I did use the M10X with the Chord Dave as a Preamp/DAC just so I could use the M10X temporarily.

As soon as I connected the C10X to the system, WOW!!! No joking, this Preamp was an ENORMOUS improvement to the sound compared to the Chord Dave as Preamp/DAC.
I heard a level of CLARITY that I've never heard before.

The top end is crystal clear-I've never heard cymbals sound so real/metallic with realistic decay (I'm a drummer and cymbal accuracy/realism has always been something I've listed for). There is what I would consider to be an excellent airiness to the overall sound.

The mid range sounds very open with singers voices sounding very convincing and live. Drums, guitars, instruments have a realness that you immediately hear.

Low end sound is tight, accurate and not boomy. I'll still use a subwoofer but for folks that don't want a lot of bass it's probably good enough.

Two other things stand out as well:

1. Musicality----This C10X Preamp adds a musicality to ALL music that I've also never heard before. When I'm listening to music with the C10X I get drawn into the music, the song...it seems to portray music in a very cohesive way. You can turn off the analytical side of music listening if you wish. At the same time, the details are all there. I would say the level of detail is close to Soulution Audio gear (300 series) that I've heard in the past. (my ears my system)

2. Timbre and Tone-----this immediately jumped out and is part of the musicality. I feel that the timbre portrayed on different instruments seems very realistic. Whether it's a trumpet, electric guitar, tom tom, snare, violin-the tone is palpable well. It's not making me be overly critical of the tone-again giving the analytical side of listening a break. Believable would be a good word.

If the C10X continues to get better as it breaks in (again it's one day old)- I may have just reached as close to audio perfection as my ears could want!!!
There's a bit of a clean sheen on music that to my ears, is extremely appealing. It makes you just want to listen to the entire SONG rather than skip around to the next best audiophile quality recording.

I'm sure there is a synergistic effect between the M10X and C10X---however, I would suggest people audition the C10X with other amps as well. I did hear the M10X with Luxman CL-1000 Preamp and can say that the CL-1000 Preamp did not sound as clear, or clean. It had a warmer sound with edges/transients not as noticeable as with the C10X.

If the C10X does get better with time (again it's one day old), I may have just found as close to 'audio nirvana' for my tastes!!!

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I am a big Lux fan. Hits my sonic biases quite well. And I am confident that after a couple hundred hours, things will open up dramatically. Congrats on some great gear and enjoy.

Reactions: Sunra

Polyrhythm9

Nov 25, 2023
New York
Thank you thedudeabides! Luxman does indeed have an easy sound to like (with the caveat being that everyone has their own subjectively 'perfect sound' to their ears)- I'm looking forward to seeing how this sounds after a few hundred hours.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulation on your new Luxman pre amp - since its new unit, it will get better and better with time.
Enjoy the journey.

Polyrhythm9

Nov 25, 2023
New York
Thank you exupgh12! It will be a fun journey - hopefully a lot of great musical moments.

I see you have Luxman paired with Magico also- I haven't heard every amp/preamp combo out there with the Magico's, but of the pairings I did hear I liked Luxman the most with Magico. It seems to bring a little sparkle to the top end.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Thank you exupgh12! It will be a fun journey - hopefully a lot of great musical moments.

I see you have Luxman paired with Magico also- I haven't heard every amp/preamp combo out there with the Magico's, but of the pairings I did hear I liked Luxman the most with Magico. It seems to bring a little sparkle to the top end.
Luxman and Magico are an excellent combination, although there are various other alternatives like Pass Labs, Pilium, Vitus, CH, and Solutions. Luxman's lush and honest sound complements Magico's clarity and remarkable detail capabilities perfectly.

The significant advantage of models like M900 and M10x is their ability to perform exceptionally well with smaller speakers like the A5 while still maintaining an excellent match with larger models like the M6. This speaks volumes about the capabilities of Luxman electronics.

Polyrhythm9

Nov 25, 2023
New York
I did demo the cl1000 with M10X briefly at a dealer before getting the C10X, From a limited session, I would say the cl1000 sounded a bit warmer in comparison with slightly less detail (I gave that should be expected with tubes!). It was a very impressive sound overall.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

guitardave

Feb 29, 2012
The cl1000 is significantly more detailed and resolute than the c900u, imo. I did have both at the same time, and sold the 900. It was really excellent, but the cl1000 is exceptional. I have a c10x arriving in early February. I am looking forward to the comparison, and of course the remote!

guitardave

Feb 29, 2012
I did receive my c-10x a few days ago, so it is still breaking in. I have used it with a few amps, including pass x250.8 and xa25, lux m-10x and mq88uc.
With all these amps, I felt the c-10x was very transparent in revealing of the differences between amps. The xa25 sounded extremely direct and transparent, occasionally startling in its master-tape like presentation on well recorded material.
The m-10x had comparable detail, though slightly less direct, with more depth and much more foundation.
The mq88uc was an extremely natural listen, lots of detail, slightly warmer, but still engaging.
Lastly, the pass x250.8 was a bit too full in the bottom end for my speakers (Sasha daw) at least in their current positions, but still quite enjoyable and the power was a hoot when called for.
My point is that the c-10x made these distinctions clear over time. The combination with the m-10x seemed like a perfect pairing. It had probably the most
transparency, combined with plenty of power when needed.
The xa25 was as mentioned occasionally stunning in its directness, similar to very high quality set, This not a slam on the other amps. The xa25 is simply unique in my experience in this regard.
In comparison with the cl1000, well, that
is a great preamp also. I would say the amp differences are easier to observe with the c-10x. They are both a very enjoyable, natural,
revealing listen.
Maybe Luxman can offer them both as a 2 pack! Buy one get free? I like them both very much.

Reactions: owen lawlor

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I like Luxman. Been thinking about an older M600A. I wonder what that older amp really sounds like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing