NAD C390DD amp losing sync on some Dish satellite TV channels

Solo44

Nov 11, 2018
I've been using a 390DD amp for three years now, with all digital sources and no problem. One of my digital sources was a DirecTV satellite receiver and that source functioned perfectly with the NAD amp. This week I changed to Dish satellite service and have a different receiver and have a problem - On most of the satellite channels, I have no audio and the display on the 390DD indicates loss of sync. On other channels, the audio is perfect. I can feed the same digital audio signal into the digital input of a separate A/V receiver and have audio on all the channels. So, something is obviously different about the digital audio stream on the various channels that the A/V receiver can accommodate, but the 390DD can't. I'm not well versed in digital audio streams, so, can anyone shed light on what might be going on with the satellite receiver audio?

Solo44

Nov 11, 2018
The answer is: on the new satellite receiver, the default format for audio output is Dolby. Turning that off solved the problem.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing