Mike Brown To Be Lakers New Head CoachNew Lakers Coach

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
New Lakers Coach: Is Mike Brown's Hiring By Lakers All About Money?
By Adam Wells
Los Angeles Lakers Reportedly Close To Hiring Mike Brown, Is This A Money Hiring?

When the news broke early Wednesday morning that Mike Brown, the current ESPN basketball analyst and former head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers, was the leading candidate to take over the Los Angeles Lakers, it was met with a lot of questions to say the least.

The biggest question is the most obvious: Why Mike Brown?

No disrespect to Brown, who did a good job in his five seasons with the Cavs, but he doesn't exactly have the name recognition that you would expect from someone taking a job with the Lakers. Maybe he is what this team needs right now - a guy who isn't flashy, but is a good X's and O's coach with a strong defensive mentality.

This could be a question on finances, too. Last year, when the Lakers were negotiating a contract with Phil Jackson, the front office made it known that they wanted him to take a pay cut because they couldn't afford to keep paying a coach in excess of $12 million. Jackson signed for $8 million last year, but with him retiring the Lakers clearly want to bring in their own guy for their price.

The Lakers are expected to give Brown a contract for four-years, $18 million, according to Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com.

The Lakers wanted to bring in someone who wasn't going to cost them an arm and a leg, and Brown certainly isn't going to do that. But this team has also interviewed at least five candidates with Brown being the most impressive of the bunch. That candidate list included Rick Adelman, Jeff Van Gundy, Brian Shaw and Mike Dunleavy.

Clearly the Lakers had money in mind when they went through this whole process, but perhaps Brown just fits with what the team wants to do right now and that's why he looks to be the man in Laker-land.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
so what sayest you guys. Brown is an OK coach whose claim to fame was coaching LBJ for 5 years. I do think he would be better than Brian Shaw but I was very interested in Rick Adelman as well Jeff Van Gundy

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Perhaps you'll see LeBron in two years when he has opt out?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Any news on potential player movements in LA yet Steve?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm quite surprised as Mike's name didn't surface till these past few days. We'll just hope he can take control of the Lakers the way Phil Jackson did. And I really wonder why Brian Shaw fell out of the running.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The biggest question is the most obvious: Why Mike Brown?

No disrespect to Brown, who did a good job in his five seasons with the Cavs, but he doesn't exactly have the name recognition that you would expect from someone taking a job with the Lakers. Maybe he is what this team needs right now - a guy who isn't flashy, but is a good X's and O's coach with a strong defensive mentality.
This is the key. If the Lakers had a coach who emphasized defense, they might be playing the Thunder right now. Their defense, and in particular their defense against the pick and roll, is what lost them the series against Dallas.

The Lakers wanted to bring in someone who wasn't going to cost them an arm and a leg, and Brown certainly isn't going to do that. But this team has also interviewed at least five candidates with Brown being the most impressive of the bunch. That candidate list included Rick Adelman, Jeff Van Gundy, Brian Shaw and Mike Dunleavy.

Jeff Van Gundy also is/was a coach who stressed defense. This begs the question: why Brown over Van Gundy (assuming the latter was interested)? Alas, we never will know.

I see Shaw now being a finalist for the job with the Warriors.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I agree Ron.

Also Van Gundy is probably getting as much as a sportscaster rather than a coach

Interesting point, Steve. If I would get the same money as a coach than a sporstcaster, I'd love to be the latter. Coaching is so stressful. Had I not seen the behind the scenes clips in a practice facility, I would have thought otherwise. One such clip showed an NBA coach repeating the same sequence of a play countless of times it took 30 minutes of the airtime and he was still instructing the same play. And the vocal cord wear and tear. Man, that is gruelling. All the shouting amidst the crowd roar. They deserve their pay.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Don't think Van Gundy would make more than 1 mil/yr. as a sportscaster (ah poverty!), so it wouldn't match a coaches pay.

They certainly didn't hire Brown for his offensive genius. W/a passer of LeBron's genius, that they never ran a motion offense is a crime. I think Ademan would have been a great choice, but think there might be some bad history between him and the organization.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Don't think Van Gundy would make more than 1 mil/yr. as a sportscaster (ah poverty!), so it wouldn't match a coaches pay.

They certainly didn't hire Brown for his offensive genius. W/a passer of LeBron's genius, that they never ran a motion offense is a crime. I think Ademan would have been a great choice, but think there might be some bad history between him and the organization.

Expect that outside of broadcasting though, van Gundy has a life. Most coaches at his level work 12 months a year. Sure that Jeff can pick and choose what he does in the post-season and assume he concentrates on his or working at other BB camps during the summer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing