Mid Year Review: My Favorite 2013 Releases

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Another shameless thread trolling for new vinyl ideas...Grading: (Music/Sonics)

Bombino "Nomad", Nonesuch (A-/B+)
Great LP of difficult to characterize but very satisfying guitar music by this Taureg musician. Produced by Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys...you can hear the influence but it is not obtrusive.

Charles Bradley "Victim of Love", Daptone (A/B+)
Even better than his debut. Much more consistent. A great soul record.

Deerhunter "Monomania", 4AD (A-/A-)
On first spin a disappointment, especially on the heels of the brilliant "Halcyon Digest". Very different feel compared to the recent Bradford Cox (Atlas Sound "Parallax") and Lockett Pundt (Lotus Plaza "Spooky Action at a Distance") solo releases. Much more grungy/garage band feel. With repeated listens, this one has really grown on me. There are a couple of throw aways but the rest of the LP is brilliant allowing me to grant forgiveness.

Jacco Gardner "Cabinet of Curiosities", Trouble In Mind, (B+/A-)
He's clearly absorbed the psychedelia of the late 60's...think updated Zombie's. A little long and gets a bit repetitive but an artist to keep an eye on. Well recorded. "Clear The Air" is one of the best songs of the year...

The National "Trouble Will Find Me", 4AD, (A/A- with caveat...see below)
A bit of a disappointment on first spin but with repeated listens this has become one of my favorites. Not as intense as prior LPs and does not quite attain the brilliance of "High Violet". Ho hum, another great LP by one of the best American bands who absolutely kill in concert. The double LP is for the most part, excellent sounding. However, my copy had noise in the right channel on side 3...

The Orange Peels, Sun Moon, Mystery Lawn Music, (B+ to A-/Borderline A-)
A fun pop LP with jangly guitars and catchy tunes.

Phosphorescent "Muchacho", Dead Oceans (A-/B)
Another terrific LP, although not quite the masterpiece of "Here's To Taking It Easy". Has my favorite single of the year "Right On/Ride On". While the sonics are much better quality than previously (the aural equivalent of high jumping a pancake), sound quality is not audiophile.

Psychic Ills "One Track Mind" Sacred Bones Records, (A/A-)
My most pleasant surprise of the year. Never heard of these guys before a recommendation on SHF. "One More Time" is a killer single. Well recorded. Will be a year end top 10.

Smoke Fairies "Upstairs At United", 453 Music, (A-/A)
I'm a fanboy. It's the Smoke Fairies recorded backed by the Blitzen Trapper rhythm section. Excellent direct to tape recording. Did I mention I love the Smoke Fairies?...sigh. Short documentary can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe8xbo1M80

Kurt Vile "Wakin' On a Pretty Daze" Matador (A/A)
I was not a huge fan of his previous release, the critically well reviewed "Smoke Ring For My Halo" which had some great moments but was inconsistent and not well recorded. This LP is a big step forward with consistently excellent songwriting and excellent sonics. Can't wait for the concert next month!

A couple others I'm enjoying but not quite ready to make a final assessment Wolf People "Fain" and Rhye "Woman" but as I've posted previously, very promising on first few spins.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Jacco Gardner

Reincarnation of Syd Barrett? A few more years of LSD and he'll nail it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Another shameless thread trolling for new vinyl ideas...Grading: (Music/Sonics)

Bombino "Nomad", Nonesuch (A-/B+)
Great LP of difficult to characterize but very satisfying guitar music by this Taureg musician. Produced by Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys...you can hear the influence but it is not obtrusive.

Charles Bradley "Victim of Love", Daptone (A/B+)
Even better than his debut. Much more consistent. A great soul record.

Deerhunter "Monomania", 4AD (A-/A-)
On first spin a disappointment, especially on the heels of the brilliant "Halcyon Digest". Very different feel compared to the recent Bradford Cox (Atlas Sound "Parallax") and Lockett Pundt (Lotus Plaza "Spooky Action at a Distance") solo releases. Much more grungy/garage band feel. With repeated listens, this one has really grown on me. There are a couple of throw aways but the rest of the LP is brilliant allowing me to grant forgiveness.

Jacco Gardner "Cabinet of Curiosities", Trouble In Mind, (B+/A-)
He's clearly absorbed the psychedelia of the late 60's...think update Zombie's. A little long and gets a bit repetitive but an artist to keep an eye on. Well recorded. "Clear The Air" is one of the best songs of the year...

The National "Trouble Will Find Me", 4AD, (A/A- with caveat...see below)
A bit of a disappointment on first spin but with repeated listens this has become one of my favorites. Not as intense as prior LPs and does quite attain the brilliance of "High Violet". Ho hum, another great LP by one of the best American bands who absolutely kill in concert. The double LP is for the most part, excellent sounding. However, my copy had noise in the right channel on side 3...

The Orange Peels, Sun Moon, Mystery Lawn Music, (B+ to A-/Borderline A-)
A fun pop LP with jangly guitars and catchy tunes.

Phosphorescent "Muchacho", Dead Oceans (A-/B)
Another terrific LP, although not quite the masterpiece of "Here's To Taking It Easy". Has my favorite single of the year "Right On/Ride On". While the sonics are much better quality than previously (the aural equivalent of high jumping a pancake), sound quality is not audiophile.

Psychic Ills "One Track Mind" Sacred Bones Records, (A/A-)
My most pleasant surprise of the year. Never heard of these guys before a recommendation on SVH. "One More Time" is a killer single. Well recorded. Will be a year end top 10.

Smoke Fairies "Upstairs At United", 453 Music, (A-/A)
I'm a fanboy. It's the Smoke Fairies recorded backed by the Blitzen Trapper rhythm section. Excellent direct to tape recording. Did I mention I love the Smoke Fairies?...sigh. Short documentary can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDe8xbo1M80

Kurt Vile "Wakin' On a Pretty Daze" Matador (A/A)
I was not a huge fan of his previous release, the critically well reviewed "Smoke Ring For My Halo" which had some great moments but was inconsistent and not well recorded. This LP is a big step forward with consistently excellent songwriting and excellent sonics. Can't wait for the concert next month!

A couple others I'm enjoying but not quite ready to make a final assessment Wolf People "Fain" and Rhye "Woman" but as I've posted previously, very promising on first few spins.

A GREAT list jazdoc.

I second Bombino and Charles Bradley...

Give Wolf People a chance..I'm hooked!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm tempted to add The Vliets release by the Feedbands subscription service but need to allow for a few more listens

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have a few of the albums already listed (Bombino, Smoke Fairies, Wolf People) but the only release of new pop/rock I'm very enthusiastic about is Steven Wilson's "The Raven..."

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If new ideas, not necessarily new vinyl or 'emerging' artists:
Trixie Whitley- Fourth Corner (you have to get the vinyl from Belgium online).
Ben Harper- Lifeline- older record- analog recording, readily/cheaply available stateside.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing