Merging + NADAC @ the Pacific NW (this week) & SoundStage review

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am quite surprised that the Zuma lacks an Ethernet option as that is usually a feature of the basic motherboard.

It doesn't. Mr Moura is confused. :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
That's unusual. FWIW, my Baetis has two Ethernet connectors which allowed me to connect the NADAC to it privately and efficiently.

Poor choice of wording on my part, I inferred a double negative. To be clear, a Zuma has an ethernet connection.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I am quite surprised that the Zoma lacks an Ethernet option as that is usually a feature of the basic motherboard.

If the Zuma does have an Ethernet connection, it isn't mentioned on the web site that offers it:

Our C.A.P.S v3 micro Zuma build includes:

Fanless design
Noiseless, no extra sound in your listening room
SOtM tX-USBexp precision oscillator USB card
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8 or 16 GB memory (select memory configuration below)
Intel i7 processor (latest Haswell core) for high CPU usage playback such as up-sampling or room correction
SSD drive is a 540MB/sec mSATA card for fast silent disk I/O
Auto-switching power 110v/220v supply. Works in any country.
Small size (3" H x 11.25" W x 9.25" D)

Firewire Option - If you have a Firewire DAC this option adds 2x 1394B firewire ports + 1x 1394A firewire port to the back of the CAPS. The card we use has a TI chipset which is considered the best for audio application. With both Firewire port types you can connect any Firewire DAC with this option. The Firewire card replaces the SOtM card.

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/CAPS-micro-Zuma-CAPS-micro-Zuma.htm

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I run a Zuma for my HQP/Roon machine, and yes it includes a mobo ethernet port (I know of no motherboard that does not have an ethernet connection, but then again I know of not that many motherboards :) ). I don't use it cuz I use fiber (Mellanox card) to my Diablo fiber switch.

Update: My Zuma died (power issues, etc..too much to troubleshoot any longer). I am going to quickly build a Win 10 Pro machine (i7 6700k, etc) cuz I have recently heard that WS2012 R2 (my Zuma) is incompatible with Ravenna? (Kal sent me Philip's Nadac for review and I've been very sick for 6+ weeks!! so here I try to slowly reintroduce myself to my system and my server frickin dies!!). I'll probably use fiber NIC to fiber switch and internal ethernet (mobo) for NADAC...maybe via FMC....unless someone has a better idea.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I run a Zuma for my HQP/Roon machine, and yes it includes a mobo ethernet port (I know of no motherboard that does not have an ethernet connection, but then again I know of not that many motherboards :) ). I don't use it cuz I use fiber (Mellanox card) to my Diablo fiber switch.

Update: My Zuma died (power issues, etc..too much to troubleshoot any longer). I am going to quickly build a Win 10 Pro machine (i7 6700k, etc) cuz I have recently heard that WS2012 R2 (my Zuma) is incompatible with Ravenna? (Kal sent me Philip's Nadac for review and I've been very sick for 6+ weeks!! so here I try to slowly reintroduce myself to my system and my server frickin dies!!). I'll probably use fiber NIC to fiber switch and internal ethernet (mobo) for NADAC...maybe via FMC....unless someone has a better idea.

Wow, sick for 6 weeks - poor you - hope you're feeling better now. I don't know if WS2012 is incompatible with Ravenna, maybe ask the Merging guys?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I am going to quickly build a Win 10 Pro machine (i7 6700k, etc) cuz I have recently heard that WS2012 R2 (my Zuma) is incompatible with Ravenna? (Kal sent me Philip's Nadac for review and I've been very sick for 6+ weeks!! so here I try to slowly reintroduce myself to my system and my server frickin dies!!). I'll probably use fiber NIC to fiber switch and internal ethernet (mobo) for NADAC...maybe via FMC....unless someone has a better idea.

Here's the scoop on using the NADAC and Ravenna with PCs and Macs from Dominique Brulhart at Merging Technlogies:

"There is no PC incompatible with Ravenna as such, any PC and/or Ethernet port is compatible a priori.
However, by design, NADAC requires the Ethernet port it is connected to, to be a Gigabit port, and not a 100Mb port.
If your PC only offers a 100Mb port, simply add a Gb switch in between.

In the case of the Zuma, or any other PC, or a Mac running bootcamp such as the MacBook Air, with a USB port (not Ethernet) make sure to use a Ethernet to USB adapter that offers Gb Ethernet.
Typically the Apple doesn’t, while the j5Create works perfectly (http://www.j5create.com/our-products/ethernet-adapters/jue130.html) "

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing