Magnepan 30.7 For Condo's at Quintessence Audio in Chicago: TitaniumTroy version

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting that Magnepan is using a small dynamic driver tower in this design!

Reactions: josh358

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
It's quite a departure, isn't it? The challenge was to equal the naturalism of planar bass with dynamic drivers and from what I heard, they've pulled it off.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As far as I understand Wendell has been so dogmatically against dynamic driver cone bass for so long I wonder if this development opens the psychological and design doors to other very interesting product possibilities, such as woofer tower options for full-size models.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
As far as I understand Wendell has been so dogmatically against dynamic driver cone bass for so long I wonder if this development opens the psychological and design doors to other very interesting product possibilities, such as woofer tower options for full-size models.
Yep, he says he's never heard a hybrid that had the realism of planar bass. I think what changed here was the technology. A sealed or ported woofer has an omnidirectional radiation pattern and excites more room modes than a dipole.

A dynamic dipole woofer doesn't suffer from these issues, but there were still quite a few challenges to solve. DSP solved the problem of dipole equalization, and they were able to develop a configuration that's both compact and blends well with the planar panels, but it took a lot to get there, something like two years of experimentation with designs, drivers, etc.

I think your comment about psychology is astute, though Magnepan's concern here was with customers, dealers, and the press! According to Wendell, hybrids have a bad name and there was resistance to a Magnepan hybrid. He concluded that an incremental approach was best -- rather than developing a hybrid using this technology, they would develop an active dynamic dipole woofer that could be used not only with the 30.7 mid-tweet panels and midbass coupler, but with other planars in their line and that was small enough to be hidden behind furniture or a couch. Hybrids and larger woofers could be developed later if this incremental concept gained traction.

I'd love to see a larger dipole woofer with greater extension and enough output for large spaces. I've read that this woofer has extension down to 10 Hz., but it isn't flat to 20, though I imagine you could stack them for use in a larger room. (Really, I think they should also offer a sealed Magnepan sub for those who listen primarily to rock and prefer slam to accuracy, but it's hard to convince Wendell of that, since their focus is on naturalism -- and, really, there are quite a few excellent subs now for those who want to go that route.)

Meanwhile, someone who wants more bass extension in a dipole could buy the GR dipole drivers and plate amps, though those are still a DIY product in that you have to make the baffle yourself.

Anyway, they're dipping the toes in the water here and if the concept is accepted, I think we'll see more variations.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
What is their obsession with putting speakers behind curtains?
Heh, I asked Wendell about that and he said what's to look at? It's a lab prototype that's draped in black cloth and has boxes hanging off the rear. He said that people would have an opportunity to look after the presentation.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Heh, I asked Wendell about that and he said what's to look at? It's a lab prototype that's draped in black cloth and has boxes hanging off the rear. He said that people would have an opportunity to look after the presentation.

They do this at every show as well. It's odd and takes away from the presentation, literally placing a sonic barrier between the system and the listener.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Guess he likes doing that. :) I think he may be trying to keep visual cues from interfering with the audio experience. Or maybe he just wants everything to be a surprise.

When I heard the 30.7's and the LRS, there was nothing in the way (it would be kind of hard to hide 30.7's . . . )

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
They do this at every show as well. It's odd and takes away from the presentation, literally placing a sonic barrier between the system and the listener.
Guess he likes doing that. :) I think he may be trying to keep visual cues from interfering with the audio experience. Or maybe he just wants everything to be a surprise.
Perhaps but, even if it is measurably transparent to audio, the presence of the curtain likely influences our perception of the sound.

Reactions: jeff1225

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is their obsession with putting speakers behind curtains?

They probably liked the SME listening room - the very modified ESL63 speakers and power amplifiers were hidden behind an acoustically transparent curtain. a1.jpg

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Perhaps but, even if it is measurably transparent to audio, the presence of the curtain likely influences our perception of the sound.
I suspect you're right. I do know that Wendell likes to listen with the lights out when evaluating equipment, but the effect of that would I suspect be different than the effect of seeing a visible scrim.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I suspect you're right. I do know that Wendell likes to listen with the lights out when evaluating equipment, but the effect of that would I suspect be different than the effect of seeing a visible scrim.
Agreed. The more we perceive, the more we can be biased.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing