Luxman M-900u power cable choices?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have a Luxman M-10X with the following socket to amp Shunyata power configuration: Sigma XC -> Denali 6000/S V2 -> Alpha V2 NR -> M-10X. Sound is dynamic and refined; IMO excellent value.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Hello

finally i have bough 1 Gobel lacorde power cord and i'm very happy with it (i have also one on my C900u).

Luxman representative in france answered to one question:
"Dear Sir,

... If the devices do not have an earth, it is to meet electrical standards. They also have double insulation between the chassis and the electrical circuit.

Furthermore, you can, if you wish, use a galvanic isolation system which drains interference and current residues from the ground socket located on the chassis of the devices. That's always a plus.
It is not always desirable to connect the earth or ground of all devices to each other. The ideal is rather to wire independently or in a star.

The chassis ground is an earth for the signal, it is not identical to the earth connection on the mains base."

My question is: has someone already tried to connect M900 u ground socket located on the chassis to the earth ? For which result/improvement?

thank you
I have tried the Shunyata Altair with our WestminsterLab amplifiers and the results were shockingly good. I suspect using a device of this sophistication will yield considerably better results. Good luck.

Reactions: Arif_in_Japan

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...the Luxmans are class2. The ground at the device IEC fixture is not connected internally. That is, the ground conductor from the wall ends at the fixture itself. The ground lug on the back is signal ground, not earth ground. I could not fully understand the comment posted back from Luxman France.

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Hello,

Thank you all..

I used google translation, maybe there was a mistake or something not clear concerning Luxman reply.
"The chassis ground is an earth for the signal, it is not identical to the earth connection on the mains base"

So I would like to use this connector (see below)

1697267769342.png

MarcusBarkus did you try to use the signal ground socket of the M900u?

I don't want to spend a lot of money for this connection (and if it's worth doing it)...

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I have not done anything with a ground scheme in my system. A couple of years ago, I did a dive into all this, but IMO it's very confusing, and arbitrary as well. The Luxman guys said not to mess around with grounding their gear, and frankly, I have no problem I am trying to solve.

I considered the various "sand-boxes" to connect to the signal ground lug on the amps, but IMO those boxes are ugly, expensive and take up a lot of space. And even a demo/experiment is going to be challenging to carry out, and again: I have no problem I am trying to solve.

I like Shunyata as a company, so when the Altaira boxes came along, I read everything I could find. If I recall correctly, the Shunyata docs identified the Luxman gear (by measurements and type, not by name) as not suited to the Altaira products.

So, on balance, it doesn't seem worth (to me) it to mess around with a lot of ancillary "ground" products, all of which are not actually grounding at all, in the conventional sense.

Now that said, reading in the Taiko thread this morning, I was reminded of the "old" Setchi product Taiko used to sell. This made me think of the Audio Quest DBS devices, and some of the info mentioned in Shunyata patents, with a small battery, wire (or charge) attached to various cables, in various places/configurations, sometimes with "crystal" materials These are "open" circuits, to my thinking; that is, they are not attached to + and - to evoke current flow.

So, I think I will get a couple of 9volt batteries, and attach a wire from the signal ground lug on the 900s to the negative terminal on the battery (the + remains open), leave it for a week or two and see what, if anything, happens. Unless it does something evil immediately upon hook-up.

If it seems to do anything that improves SQ, I would try fancy wire or other refinements to harvest additional possibility for improvement. If nothing seems to change, the cost will be for two 9v batteries, and the time it took to hook it up and write this post!

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Arif_in_Japan

Aug 20, 2022
Hello,

Thank you all..

I used google translation, maybe there was a mistake or something not clear concerning Luxman reply.
"The chassis ground is an earth for the signal, it is not identical to the earth connection on the mains base"

So I would like to use this connector (see below)

View attachment 118164

MarcusBarkus did you try to use the signal ground socket of the M900u?

I don't want to spend a lot of money for this connection (and if it's worth doing it)...
When I had the M900u a few years ago, I had a slight hum and so I used an IFI-audio cable and AC ipurifier and the hum went away so I left it in till I sold the m900u.

felipe91

May 23, 2022
Hello ,

thank you Arif, i don't have this problem of hum but your feedback is interesting.

Markus, if you perform the test with the battery, please let us know the result.

I'm also going to try to get more information from luxman seller.

Reactions: Arif_in_Japan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing