Loot cars, device costs $17, no broken windows

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
For $17 to $100 you can buy an amplifier that boosts the signal between the keyless fob & car. The car can then be looted. Some work up to 100 meters. People are keeping their wireless keys in their freezers and other Faraday like cages.
zz.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello zztop77. Couldn't this same technology be used to gain access into a house via the garage remote?

Tom

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I do not believe this exact one could accomplish that, but there is a similar problem.
An amplifier device might be developed [probably has] that could work on keyless house locks; especially the "smart house".
My thoughts: Smart house = Dumb house. When something goes wrong, you cannot go to Home Depot & pickup a $3.00 switch & fix it [smart light switches can be over $100. each]
Deep Smart house technology is expensive to fix, service, and becomes obsolete every few years. Obsolete: try to get parts, try to get someone who truly understands the system.
I KNOW. My house was outfitted with extensive Smart; I did NOT do it. Much of it has been replaced. Most of it cannot be replaced. Just the lighting has 3 massive panels of transformers & electronic switching devices in the mechanical room & transformers in every area of the attics [sometimes I think of my mechanical room as an aircraft carrier engine control center].
Best to you treitz3,
zz.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
For $17 to $100 you can buy an amplifier that boosts the signal between the keyless fob & car. The car can then be looted. Some work up to 100 meters. People are keeping their wireless keys in their freezers and other Faraday like cages.
zz.

Explain more please.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Having been the victim of a similar feat ( Itjink I opened a thread about that) I can only concur ... While I am a fervent user of the Internet and of many other things technological, I have my serious doubt about this notion of Internet of Things ... Soon it will be possible to hack into more than our private lives; The entire Infrastructure of many Nations thus the lives of their citizens is at stakes.. This is no joke. We are on the cusp...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I do not believe this exact one could accomplish that, but there is a similar problem.
An amplifier device might be developed [probably has] that could work on keyless house locks; especially the "smart house".
My thoughts: Smart house = Dumb house. When something goes wrong, you cannot go to Home Depot & pickup a $3.00 switch & fix it [smart light switches can be over $100. each]
Deep Smart house technology is expensive to fix, service, and becomes obsolete every few years. Obsolete: try to get parts, try to get someone who truly understands the system.
I KNOW. My house was outfitted with extensive Smart; I did NOT do it. Much of it has been replaced. Most of it cannot be replaced. Just the lighting has 3 massive panels of transformers & electronic switching devices in the mechanical room & transformers in every area of the attics [sometimes I think of my mechanical room as an aircraft carrier engine control center].
Best to you treitz3,
zz.

I agree but only up to a point. Sure technology is changing but prices are coming down fast. I haven't had to carry any keys for about a year now. My car just requires the fob and I have keyless entry for the the main doors we use in the house. I can keep track of my lights via the web and the price on the latest and better units are down to ~$50. For most operations for lights etc you no longer require large panels such as you noted.

When on vacation or traveling if my doors are opened with the code I have given someone I am sent a text message.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing