logo lamp out

graystoke4

Apr 28, 2011
uk nottingham
hi ive only just noticed that the lamp/bulb, that lights up the spectral logo, has gone out, on my dma 250, does anyone know what sort this is, this is an English model, is it a ten minute job ? 9 ( i hope so ) all info welcome andy

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
Hi Andy, the pilot lamps are short lived in the three Spectral amps that I have owned. They are not difficult to replace, remove top cover and the two lamps are in a small housing attached with two nuts to the front panel. If you can get your dealer to supply them, you can do this replacement yourself most likely, I have. Mine are currently out and I have grown used to this low key appearance.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Takes about an hour to an hour and a half; the lamps are readily available.

graystoke4

Apr 28, 2011
uk nottingham
hi thanks for that, i took the top off and when i saw the housing unit i put the top back on,,ha ha ,, will give it a go at the weekend, or just leave them out, cheers andy

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The most frustrating thing about Spectral amps is those bulbs... my 30-year old Revox hasn't blown them out yet, neither has the 15-year old Magnum Dynalab Etude tuner, neither did a 20-year old Tandberg TD-20A I used to have, and the Spectrals' go within 3-4 years... utterly frustrating and unprofessional in my mind.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Takes about an hour to an hour and a half; the lamps are readily available.

That's a crazy amount of labor to spend for changing out some lamps, especially when they don't last that long before they burn out. Wasn't there a piece of Spectral gear that got so hot it actually melted the feet? Seems like I remember reading that somewhere.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My Jeff Rowland Model 1 and 5 also needed lamp changes - happily it was a 30 second affair!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That's a crazy amount of labor to spend for changing out some lamps, especially when they don't last that long before they burn out. Wasn't there a piece of Spectral gear that got so hot it actually melted the feet? Seems like I remember reading that somewhere.

Yes, the SDR-2000 DAC's Sorbothane feet would melt after 10 years. They've learned some lessons, apparently the bulbs isn't one of them.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, the SDR-2000 DAC's Sorbothane feet would melt after 10 years. They've learned some lessons, apparently the bulbs isn't one of them.

That sounds right. At least you got ten years out of them before the feet melted.

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
ack, you must be getting the premium version of the lamp, the ones in my amps have never lasted that long,:). These short life lamps are said to be sonically benign, by the way. My SDR 4000 cd player remote is silk screened SDR 3000, the web site is always out of date, printed literature is seldom available, etc. I have decided to view these minor shortcomings as CHARACTER. Spectral does get the important aspects of music reproduction more correct than any other company in audio, in my opinion.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
ack, you must be getting the premium version of the lamp, the ones in my amps have never lasted that long,:). These short life lamps are said to be sonically benign, by the way. My SDR 4000 cd player remote is silk screened SDR 3000, the web site is always out of date, printed literature is seldom available, etc. I have decided to view these minor shortcomings as CHARACTER. Spectral does get the important aspects of music reproduction more correct than any other company in audio, in my opinion.

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing