Is 2-D Plasma still improving?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I haven't seen this problem.
I hope we all agree the problem doesn't go away because you don't see it :). We tend to be quite blind to picture problems unless they are pointed out to us. I bet you now that you know about it, you will notice it more :).

If you don't believe this is how they work, here are some references: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1734387,00.asp

"As the APL [Average Picture Level] increases, power and heat dissipation restrictions reduce the maximum brightness that can be safely produced, so the display automatically reduces the peak brightness. When 100% of the pixels are at peak white, the brightness is only 53 cd/m2, which requires subdued ambient lighting for good viewing. "

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/lg-plasma-tv-2010-2.html

"One review site noted that these LG plasma TVs suffer from a similar problem encountered on Panasonic G20/25 and S2 series plasma TVs, namely that of fluctuating black levels with different average level picture content, though the Panasonic picture is a bit more stable.

Unlike LCDs, all plasma TVs do this to some degree and happens as plasma display technology tends to adjust the overall brightness depending on the average brightness of the picture - also referred to as average picture level (APL) - to prevent panel overheating and excessive stress, and to extend the panel's life."

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42c3b-tx-p42c3-201103211056.htm

"we did see luminance levels (and Greyscale tracking) shifting around during the Average Picture Level pattern from the AVSHD test disc. This is very common for Plasma displays, and is a reminder that, although we didn’t see anything during viewing, some sort of low-level luminance fluctuation is possible."

You can read about ABL or Average Brightness Level circuit in Plasma here: http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...sions/downloads/tv_vcr/Weber_Presentation.pdf

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42vt20b-tx-p42vt20-20101110913.htm

"We’re used to seeing some brightness fluctuation from most Plasma TVs and often observe the same effect when we display a 100% windowed test pattern during Greyscale calibration, so we’re not surprised that slight inconsistencies can pop up in real world content."

I will stop here....

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
As I mentioned in a another thread, we have a relative cheap LCD, on which I spent some time playing with the settings in the normal and service menu: brightness of the backlight, min and max R,G,B levels, brightness, contrast and colour. I used a test disk first which still wasn't good enough, so then used the actual environment outside, the sky, the greens in the landscape, people's skin tones. I spent quite some time on this, and it makes a big difference getting every setting just right. In fact, I use separate nightime, overcast and sunny day settings to get the best for each of these times. Now when I go into a video store, even expensive sets look relatively out of whack with colour and brightness to me.

So from my perspective the advantages of plasma versus LCD aren't as important as being able to get the the critical settings just right ...

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I hope we all agree the problem doesn't go away because you don't see it .

Yes, I think we can all agree to that! :)

Tim

caesar

May 30, 2010
I just heard that no plasma has yet caught up with the Pioneer Elite TVs of 2 or 3 years ago. If so, it is a real shame, especially if Panasonic bought their patents.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yup. The problem they have is that the Pioneer process was designed for low quantity manufacturing. They instead, are in a dog-fight with LCDs on prices and size. Customers just don't care about quality more than those two factors.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I just heard that no plasma has yet caught up with the Pioneer Elite TVs of 2 or 3 years ago. If so, it is a real shame, especially if Panasonic bought their patents.

This is the conventional wisdom, and I'm sure in some absolute terms there is some truth in it, but I've seen last years TOL Panasonic, the VT-25, right next to the last generation Pioneer Elite, playing the same Blu-Ray source. They are very close. I'd give a very slight edge to the Pioneer myself, but reasonable men could disagree.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing