Interview with Pass Labs about upcoming XS PRE and XS PHONO

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Peter,

Not to start another passive vs active like debate. The XS series can be described this way...any superlative you can come up with for the XA series, the XS series does it better and by a significant margin. The amps are quieter, have better bass grip, are more defined and extended throughout the frequency range. They are more transparent, sound stage better and just sound more musical. At this level, XA to XS, The improvements are more incremental. Whether that increment is worth more than 3 times the price of the XA 160 for example is for you to decide. It was more than worth it to me, especially since I am fortunate to have the resources to buy bleeding edge components. At this stage with my system, it does not make sense to investigate any products that are not the reference product for the given manufacturer.

I agree with Christian's assessment. One additional comment I would make is that layering in the soundstage and the XS300's ability to portray instruments and voices as a 3 dimensional entity continues to amaze even after having owned them for more than a year.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I will note that I have a received a courtesy letter from the utility company stating that I use 107% more electricity than my neighbors of similar home size. They XS 150's consume 1100 watts total. If I had the XS 300's I would be afraid that I was under law enforcement investigation for a grow operation lol. Welcome to 1984 folks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I will note that I have a received a courtesy letter from the utility company stating that I use 107% more electricity than my neighbors of similar home size. They XS 150's consume 1100 watts total. If I had the XS 300's I would be afraid that I was under law enforcement investigation for a grow operation lol. Welcome to 1984 folks.

LOL! I've been getting those for years :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Christian-Your power company has probably already turned you over to the DEA as a possible grow operation. Expect a DEA SWAT team to show up in the middle of the night with a no-knock search warrant using a battering ram to cave in your front door.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian-Your power company has probably already turned you over to the DEA as a possible grow operation. Expect a DEA SWAT team to show up in the middle of the night with a no-knock search warrant using a battering ram to cave in your front door.

Fortunately, my front door is a Marvin 3" Mahogany door with a Mortise lock. A battering ram will be unsuccessful...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Fortunately, my front door is a Marvin 3" Mahogany door with a Mortise lock. A battering ram will be unsuccessful...

They have other methods to blow doors down Christian.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing