Interesting market dynamic / OPPO 205 UDP

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I discovered that the OPPO 205 UDP 4K disc player, which is no longer being made and had a MSRP of $1,299 when the company stopped production approx. 2 years ago, is now bringing $3,500 for a used unit on Ebay. Amazon is selling a new unit for $4,800. Any explanations / thoughts?

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Supply and demand, I suppose. For those whose primary music source is optical disc, it was the best sounding of the Oppo disc players (I owned most every version Oppo made) for those discs it could play, which was most.

The earlier 105D was actually the most versatile player Oppo ever made, however, since it provided access to many streaming services (including Tidal) and decoded HDCD discs, two things the UDP-205 could not do. Late in the production run Oppo added MQA decoding to the UDP-205, however, so if you had fed a streamer into its USB audio jack, the 205's DAC would provide full MQA decoding out of the Oppo's analog outputs. I did not think it did a very good job of that, however, preferring the Auralic Aries G2's MQA decoding (even though it was not a licensed MQA decoder), and my current Lumin X1 has far superior MQA sound.

In addition, the UDP-205 is one of the best DVD and Blu-Ray players in terms of video quality, at least up through the 4k video standard.

The choices Oppo made in dropping HDCD decoding and direct access to streaming services were probably market driven. Most of the best recent DA chips don't handle HDCD decoding. And since there are software programs (such as dB Poweramp) which decode HDCD when you rip the disc to a file, you could feed the 205 computer audio files already decoded from your networked hard drive. As to streaming services, today those have migrated to dedicated streamers or to receivers and amps. If you want to, you can feed the digital output of a computer or streamer into the Oppo's digital audio inputs and let the 205's DAC decode the stream.

Today, I would not buy the UDP-205 at these inflated prices. I've moved on, as have many or most, to sourcing music from computer files on my local network or from internet streaming services. Today, the Lumin X1, fed from my network computer and internet, is the only audio source box I need in my greatly simplified audio system. The Lumin has a volume control so it acts as my "preamp" and directly feeds my amps, which drive my speakers.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
As Tom said, if you spin discs it is a fine unit. I use it for movies and some early morning listening via the headphone output. I think it was a bargain at the retail price. I would not pay the current inflated prices.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I discovered that the OPPO 205 UDP 4K disc player, which is no longer being made and had a MSRP of $1,299 when the company stopped production approx. 2 years ago, is now bringing $3,500 for a used unit on Ebay. Amazon is selling a new unit for $4,800. Any explanations / thoughts?

It is still a bargain @ $5,000 US compared to other lesser players that sell for more. IMHO

But, there is another Universal 4K Blu-ray player out there, not as good as the 205 in performance and features but not too shabby either...the Pioneer Elite LX500 for $1,000

And for strictly 4K HDR picture quality, the Panasonic 9000 also for $1,000

For one player the 205 is still the best, regardless of cost. IMO

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
The Oppo is the only all-in-one high quality universal disc spinner. Here in europe and in japan a lot of people still love spinning discs. And if you look after a solution which plays Blu-ray, SACD and CD at a high standard the options are few. Denon/Marantz is out, Sony and Panasonic don‘t have the same standard and the only actual alternative Pioneer was long time out of stock (why ever :rolleyes:). And Oppo has together with Pioneer the only enhanced analog section. But Oppo has in contrary to Pioneer streaming capabilities and plays Roon. So the available Oppos get rare.

Last fall I had the same decision problems and I didn‘t find an adequate alternative to Oppo. So by good luck my dealer got the last two remaining players in the warehouse of european distributor. I ordered one and gave the order to tune my player to a level where this player can compete easily with CD players in the five figures range. Once it is ready I will report in a thread at Oppo section of WBF.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The earlier 105D was actually the most versatile player Oppo ever made, however, since it provided access to many streaming services (including Tidal) and decoded HDCD discs, two things the UDP-205 could not do.
Yes. In addition, the 105(D) was also one of the Oppos that could be used to rip SACDs and that function is not available on the 205

Reactions: astrotoy

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Very true about the Oppo 105(D), but the 205 adds 4K UHD Picture with Dolby Vision and HDR10 and HLG, and also superior sound from a superior analog section and DAC.

If you want to rip SACDs and HDCD support just use your old 103(D), or buy a used one on eBay.

IMO

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Yes. In addition, the 105(D) was also one of the Oppos that could be used to rip SACDs and that function is not available on the 205
That is why I bought a 105, in case my PlayStation 3 stopped working and I needed a back up to rip my SACDs. Larry

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
That is why I bought a 105, in case my PlayStation 3 stopped working and I needed a back up to rip my SACDs. Larry
Me too I bought a 105d in the used market for multiple services; dvd+blu-ray player and my first steps in the liquid music. Me and a friend ripped many many cd's now stored in a HD connected to Oppo and via analog XLR to my preamp.
Oppo and my CD player are both old now; they can't compete with the best high-end sources, neverthless I enjoy the overall result, next year I'll take advantage of Oppo features as a streamer; it's a pleasant versatile unit.
Marco

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Me too I bought a 105d in the used market for multiple services; dvd+blu-ray player and my first steps in the liquid music. Me and a friend ripped many many cd's now stored in a HD connected to Oppo and via analog XLR to my preamp.
Oppo and my CD player are both old now; they can't compete with the best high-end sources, neverthless I enjoy the overall result, next year I'll take advantage of Oppo features as a streamer; it's a pleasant versatile unit.
Marco
Do you rip SACD's with the Oppo? That is most important to me. I can easily rip CD's on my computer using dbpoweramp. However, SACD's need special software which a modified PlayStation 3 or the Oppo 105D has to get the hirez .iso files. Then I extract both the stereo and multichannel files to play - in DSD64. Larry

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Do you rip SACD's with the Oppo? That is most important to me. I can easily rip CD's on my computer using dbpoweramp. However, SACD's need special software which a modified PlayStation 3 or the Oppo 105D has to get the hirez .iso files. Then I extract both the stereo and multichannel files to play - in DSD64. Larry
Also my friend who assisted me used dbpoweramp; CD ripped only.
Usually I play SACD with my old player (Emmlabs CDSA-SE)

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
On a hunch, in 2014 I purchased the OPPO 105d and within 2 or 3 days of burn-in it was about on par with my $8500 Esoteric UX-3SE cdp. Within a few months and after exercising a few of the 105D's options the OPPO easily outperformed the Esoteric unit in perhaps every way - well, except for the bling.

This and a few other "upgrades" like this helped me to realize it's really not so much what we purchase but rather what we do with what we've already purchased that makes all the difference from a performance perspective.

Reactions: RnRmf

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
On a hunch, in 2014 I purchased the OPPO 105d and within 2 or 3 days of burn-in it was about on par with my $8500 Esoteric UX-3SE cdp. Within a few months and after exercising a few of the 105D's options the OPPO easily outperformed the Esoteric unit in perhaps every way - well, except for the bling.

This and a few other "upgrades" like this helped me to realize it's really not so much what we purchase but rather what we do with what we've already purchased that makes all the difference from a performance perspective.
Yep the oppo was amazing value.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have an Oppo 105D and now I am getting an 205. However, we will still need to stream netflix etc. and I also check some albums over Tidal. What would be the best option for streaming? Shall I get an apple TV for video streaming and use mconnect for Tidal or are there better options out there?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing