IEMs vs Headphones

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
How does very expensive IEMs compare to flagship headphones like Focal Utopia and others of this caliber ?

Thalassophile

Dec 23, 2020
Hi Thieliste. Huge gains have been made in IEM technology, including Shure introducing an electrostatic version (KSE series). I have not had a chance to listen to them, but the reviews have been very positive and owners have stated that they are the best headphones they have ever owned. But they are an insanely expensive outlier and require a proprietary amplifier. I think most people will tell you that IEM vs Over Ear is more of an apple to oranges kind of thing, and tend to be a personal and/or a pragmatic choice. I live in New York, and like any other city that relies on mass transit, an IEM is essential for any audiophile. I absolutely love the sound quality of mine, that sensation of having "surround sound inside your head" and their portability. Just amazing. That said, I personally feel that a really good set of cans (open or closed) is more preferable for long-term critical listening. Even very expensive IEMs cannot match the depth and soundstage, and I find IEMs become physically uncomfortable after a few hours. They are two different listening experiences, IMHO. Others may certainly disagree.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own many headphones and ciems high end types. headphones and good iems are both good but any iem falls short on ambience and powerful low end bass. if I had to pick overall what’s better it is tough as they both have there strengths. isolation on CIEMS is one good reason they beat headphones. an iem is a well focused microscope type stage. Where headphones are much more open.
one last thought if isolation is important in both aspects meaning room mate
ciems are best

Reactions: Thalassophile

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks guys, well i guess IEMs are best for traveling with a good DAP.
At home i much prefer open back headphones even though i still prefer a speaker system.
For traveling i use a Chord Mojo stacked to an android phone mostly for Qobuz streaming.
I will try to audition to a couple of IEMs and see if i like them.

GertSterlingSilver

Aug 12, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks guys, well i guess IEMs are best for traveling with a good DAP.
Yup, basically I have IEM's( about 4 pairs?) for the sole purpose of using them while being in very noise areas.
Aeroplanes, buses, the neighbors using a circular saw at 8pm(what the hell?).
A nice thing about them is being able to use a lot of different kinds and storing then in a compartment in you backpack easily.
I can go on a flight (not happening anytime soon though) and choose between a single dynamic driver, a dyn. driver/balanced armature hybrid or a very fancy 8 BA IEM all within a single pouch in my packpack, heck and I can even fit my sennheiser amperior and pack those 3 IEM's withing the space my headphones!
The "in your head" sound signature is a small price to pay for a the excellent passive isolation they offer and the easy to drive nature of them, unless your output is fairly noise, like most smartphones nowadays.

Reactions: Thalassophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing