I got "The Look" from the wife as she walked by the music room...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
As I was putting weather stripping on an interior door.
I was doing bass sweeps today looking for resonating objects.
At 20Hz I thought the door was going to fall off the wall.
Then walks by a bit later and she says , "Are you doing this for me to keep the music in the room"
Absolutely!

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
My wife used to complain that my music was too loud.

So, I bought a headphone rig.

While listening on the headphones she tapped me on the shoulder and told me that I couldn't hear her speaking to me.

Yes, I said. I know that! :D

She didn't see the humor in my comment.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

While listening on the headphones she tapped me on the shoulder and told me that I couldn't hear her speaking to me.

This made my day! :eek:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
As I was putting weather stripping on an interior door.
I was doing bass sweeps today looking for resonating objects.
At 20Hz I thought the door was going to fall off the wall.
Then walks by a bit later and she says , "Are you doing this for me to keep the music in the room"
Absolutely!

Like it. I found it depends on the music, Beyonce is no complaints, but Rammstein....

I have a music room off the lounge, so an open door to it. I can close it and play loud, to pressurise the room when I want a 'Caveman' moment.
It is something I need to do from time to time, bit like banging my shield with my axe, that sort of thing....

Seriously though, there is a level of enjoyment you hit on music played a bit louder than 'normal', it is more immersive, more like a live event.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am guess I am lucky, my main system is in its own room, downstairs from the rest of the house, I can lock three doors and little escapes, my record library is in an adjoining room, with my own bathroom, no one else goes down stairs, I bought the house for this feature

I installed a second small system upstairs in the living room, which has active speakers, so only a source and preamplifier

My wife told me she loved just being able to press one button, to get music

Our third system is in our bedroom, and I mainly play jazz on it, which my wife loves...

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Every audiophile should do a rattle and buzz sweep every few months or so , you would be amazed at whats resonating and sharing its happy little tune with the music.....
I rebuilt my room to be soundproof..its sealed.its my refuge from the rest of the world..I like the immersive effect of playing loud .....

mcondo

Feb 24, 2015
I agree that loading the room once in a while is absolutely necessary. In my house we play the main system a lot, but at fairly low listening levels, say 65 db. Those levels never really produce decent bass and overall balance in my ProAc D15's. Pushing it up to 80+db's transforms my system, loads the room and reminds me why I have a decent system to begin with. One caveat - higher volumes require well produced recordings for full effect imho. That's when I pull out my favorite SACD's. :)

COF

Sep 29, 2017
I feel so lucky whenever I hear of other audiophiles and the WAF/loundness issue.

My 2 channel listening room has always been the living room right beneath our bedroom. It was renovated to also do home theater duty years ago, so it has some sound absorption in the room. The room has a wide opening (no door) to the hallway, but our nice thick curtains pulled across that opening really deadens the sound getting out. The luckiest aspect for me is that my wife sleeps like a rock. So I can play music after she's in bed and it's no problem. (Then again, I don't play at really loud levels anyway).

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I feel so lucky whenever I hear of other audiophiles and the WAF/loundness issue.

My 2 channel listening room has always been the living room right beneath our bedroom. It was renovated to also do home theater duty years ago, so it has some sound absorption in the room. The room has a wide opening (no door) to the hallway, but our nice thick curtains pulled across that opening really deadens the sound getting out. The luckiest aspect for me is that my wife sleeps like a rock. So I can play music after she's in bed and it's no problem. (Then again, I don't play at really loud levels anyway).

Oh my friend, you must get yourself some high end headphones, it is great fun. I suggest the LCD4 or Abyss for starters!

COF

Sep 29, 2017
An airtight music listening room is like an underground bunker.
Nothing can disrupt the audiophile in it, nothing.

Understood. Though I'm not in the "want to be isolated" camp. I actually much prefer living spaces feeling shared and social. This is also the reason I renovated the living room for home theater as well as my two channel system, instead of doing the standard basement reno or creating some other isolated room. I like the ease of use and accessibility of my listening/viewing room being right here on the main floor, my kids often joining me. It's rare that I even have to pull the curtain across the room opening as no one objects to the sound.

Oh my friend, you must get yourself some high end headphones, it is great fun. I suggest the LCD4 or Abyss for starters!

My point is I don't need to use headphones :)

I'm not a fan of headphone listening anyway, for various reasons, and vastly prefer listening to speakers. I get why headphone listening appeals to some people, though.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Understood. Though I'm not in the "want to be isolated" camp. I actually much prefer living spaces feeling shared and social. This is also the reason I renovated the living room for home theater as well as my two channel system, instead of doing the standard basement reno or creating some other isolated room. I like the ease of use and accessibility of my listening/viewing room being right here on the main floor, my kids often joining me. It's rare that I even have to pull the curtain across the room opening as no one objects to the sound.

I was just generally speaking, for those times of inner sanctum music concentration, or just simple quiet privacy.
My music room is not a bunker, it is open, with windows, a regular living space.

When we share that space it is pleasant the comments we hear occasionally, and I have a good smile reading the OP's overture while performing duties of sound control. That was a good one that short interaction with his wife; I could picture it in the most sweetest way.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One of the greatest discoveries for me was when I got a good match between main speakers and sub and then focused on lowering noise floor with good isolation, emi/rfi, dedicated lines, etc. Still far from perfect...but to a point where even at volume level '1', late at night, i can work and enjoy a surprisingly balanced 'bass hit' where i do not feel the need at all to crank to feel the 'impact'. Its not that the bass is thwacking away while the treble is whispering...but rather that even when the music is at soft dinner discussion volumes...i can get a nice low level chest thump (if that makes any sense) that is well balanced with the music.

Ever since then i have found i tend to play at LOWER volumes not higher...both due to lower noise floor which in particular meant that bass hit was delivered with great satisfaction at lower volumes. Something which my wife appreciates as she works at our partners desk.

(Of course, as a bass freak and audiophile...yes, it ALSO means deep house electronic, orchestral and action flicks are insanely fun at exhilarating levels!...which fortunately my wife also finds fun when we watch Mission Impossible 5 or Man from UNCLE!)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

mens hearing aid.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My wife didn't think this was funny either!! :confused:

IMG_3632.JPG

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Exclamation point them a heart, awesome!
My biggest problem with my headphones (over the ear) is when I am in the zone with my eyes shut and she tries to get my attention, my reaction is usually less than mellow, not out of anger, but out of holy crap it startles me and my protective instinct is on immediate high alert.
I told her to poke me with a stick, jump on the floor, turn it down, something anything from a distance, anything just don't be close.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
My wife constantly asks when am I going to pull the pins from the MPods........chose wisely :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing