"I f*-ing love Science"

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
http://www.dailydot.com/society/facebook-fcking-love-science-elise-andrew/

When the owner of the most popular science page on Facebook revealed her identity the other day, the reaction was sadly predictable. "OMG GIRL," came the crescendo of comments from dumbfounded men (and a few women). It was as if Elise Andrew had infiltrated a 19th century scientific conference and suddenly ripped off a fake mustache in front of the assembled muttering menfolk. Cue pipes falling from open mouths. Shock! Awe! A woman!

Wow. Just wow... and this is the 21st century.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't know why people are surprised when women are good at or enjoy science. After all, they are almost as smart as men!!!!!!! :p :p :p I have always enjoyed women who were engaged in the sciences. They seem to have a lot on the ball.

The daily dot article reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was watching one of the "How the Universe Works" programs on the History Channel. There was a VERY well credentialed female astronomer who was doing a segment on infrered astronomy and I wanted to know more about the topic. I didn't catch her last name, I only knew her first name was Amy, so I googled "astronomer amy" and lo and behold, there was the google suggestion "HOT Astronomer Amy!" and I was lead to Amy Mainzer's work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory on astrophysics and infrared astronomy.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
An ever-higher % of doctors are women. A strong majority of vets are women. I think these are sciences....

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Women make up between 50 and 60% of medical and dental school enrollment in the US, more in some European countries.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
An ever-higher % of doctors are women. A strong majority of vets are women. I think these are sciences....

Tim

I can confirm, as my wife is Veterinarian, and deeply into all kinds of science, reading up on Quantum physics and any other scientific topic that interests her.

The fact that many men had negative reactions to the person behind a science site being a woman just shows how far we still have to go as a society.

And by they way, our own little hobby is woefully short on women participants, wonder why?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I am a big fan of IFLS on Facebook. When I found out she was a woman I had no reaction, apart from asking why does it matter? She could be a quad amputee and I would still love her posts. That she is an attractive women and all these science nerds were going ga-ga over her is no surprise, really. The hottest women are the brainiest ones.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, I hope it is not sexist to say that I don't expect a woman to create a site and give it that kind of name. :) Women tend to not talk that way....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing