Hong Kong HiFi shops to visit

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Fantastic Shane...absolutely fantastic. Did you manage to hear the Arrakis setup? Favorite or 'meh'...i'd love to hear any comments if you managed to hear them. I know exactly where the Genesis Dragons are in Hong Kong, having had lunch just up the street with the owner of a new boutique restaurant there 2 years ago (unfortunately did not know the Genesis were there at that time!).

I went down to Ernest Lau's shop and saw the GIANT Arrakis, however he was doing some professional recording that week so they were not hooked up and there were wires etc everywhere.

Seriously thou, the big Rockports looked stupid in such a small room - like two big statues imposing themselves :p

But, they probably sound great in that small room thou:cool:

cheers

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ok, that sounds about right. Yes, I've found the Wilson's to be more involving on an intimate manner. Especially driven with cj amplification, would sound very warm and musical indeed! Same experience I had when I did own a used pair alexandria's. Oh what lovely special speakers they were...

Just like you said, the Genesis systems do push some serious air to give you that live event feeling. Although sometimes this can be very annoying, it seems that the viola amps (mini bar fridges) were doing a great job of controling it as you experienced.

Interesting to learn that you would have considered this system even though you already have a top of the line system with sota amplification from c-j!

The same dam phenomenon happens to me as well whenever I audition something good in another country. Hence why I went nuts with Lamm...
I guess it's a different kind of sound that gets us excited because we are so used to listening to the norm, which is off our existing systems. Something new always sound great!

Thanks for sharing that, I certainly learnt quite a lot here.
oh! By the way, what cabling and interconnects were they using, if you can recall?
Cheers mate, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Gary.

Oh! Yes I forgot that Genesis did do their very own cables & interconnects.

My very first experience with the Genesis 1's were driven by VTL's and they were superb!
Outstanding dynamics, sound stage, transient attacks, acceleration and decay were simply stunning. What hit me the most was the awesome depth that no other speakers have matched to date, other than of course the mighty one and only Infinity IRSV by Arnie Nudell.

I nearly bought a pair of Genesis 5's from Singapore somewhere around 98/99. Ended up with maggies instead and bought the dealer chaps smaller VTL's that he was using on an Infinity IRS Beta system. They were called Manley 350's Designer's Reference Series made by VTL. Got a great price with the amps and mg3.5 ribbons.

However, if I had stuck to the Genesis, I would have got built in power amps for the bass section and I could have kept my c-j premier 11A to drive the mids & highs. I regret not doing that deal still to this day! Even though it involved quite a few extra dollars...

The other thing is I never knew that I would end up in Australia, hence shipping a pair of Genesis speakers would cost a bomb!
It was far easier to get rid of the maggies and sell off my older Infinity Epsilon's & Renaissance 90's.

However, I still regret not going for a Genesis system. Now, there is no way I could ever afford a pair in this lifetime...

By the way, what's the difference between the new Genesis Dragon and Gen 1's? They look identical to me.
Thanks for your message Gary.
Cheers, RJ

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I went down to Ernest Lau's shop and saw the GIANT Arrakis, however he was doing some professional recording that week so they were not hooked up and there were wires etc everywhere.

Seriously thou, the big Rockports looked stupid in such a small room - like two big statues imposing themselves :p

But, they probably sound great in that small room thou:cool:

cheers

Thanks...yes the room could have been bigger (except for the expensive Hong Kong rent!)...but it was certainly ranked as 1 of 2 systems which i have heard that had no equal. There was no shimmer, no hesitancy, no weakness of sound when even a single Norah Jones guitar is plucked...powerful, bold, as in '50%' more powerful, snap-and-its-gone-with-no-loose shimmer power. I give Ernest Lau a lot of credit for getting that entire setup right.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for that Gary. I have come across other Genesis systems that I've liked but for the moment are out of my books. I would like to settle for a much smaller and affordable Genesis speaker when I finally get the new house going. we'll see what the future holds.
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Shane, I trust that your cj amps would sound sweet with a pair of Genesis speakers, let alone having the GAT pre!

just a quick question on your Prem 8's; after the upgrade to Teflon caps, what was the major / significant improvement in overall sound that you noticed straight away?

RJ

Analog Scott

Jun 21, 2017
Sorry, reviving an oooooold thread. I will be in Hong Kong next week. Given how much things change there. Same question. Where are the current best/most expensive intersecting high end shops

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sorry, reviving an oooooold thread. I will be in Hong Kong next week. Given how much things change there. Same question. Where are the current best/most expensive intersecting high end shops

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
HK just had their highend audio show last Aug. I just missed it, since I passed through Spore in July and onto Cmb to touch base with my pops (now turning 91 in June).

There are some top notch dealers out there, where you'll be able to get to experience the awesome Genesis speakers and others of that calibre. Also get in touch with Gary K (CEO Genesis Advance Technologies) he'll point you in the right direction.

HK also has their top end Alsyvox dealers and these full range ribbons are something else. Very exquisite design and high performance panels. Worth the visit I would say. If you're really lucky, you might even get the chance to audition the new Genesis Tribute speakers, now these are mighty fine!

Cheers matey, hope you have a good one.
Until then, enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Why not spend a few days in Singapore too?
:D

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
HK just had their highend audio show last Aug. I just missed it, since I passed through Spore in July and onto Cmb to touch base with my pops (now turning 91 in June).

There are some top notch dealers out there, where you'll be able to get to experience the awesome Genesis speakers and others of that calibre. Also get in touch with Gary K (CEO Genesis Advance Technologies) he'll point you in the right direction.

HK also has their top end Alsyvox dealers and these full range ribbons are something else. Very exquisite design and high performance panels. Worth the visit I would say. If you're really lucky, you might even get the chance to audition the new Genesis Tribute speakers, now these are mighty fine!

Cheers matey, hope you have a good one.
Until then, enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ
Which company in HK is Alsyvox dealer? Don’t think Alsyvox has anyone representing it.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Which company in HK is Alsyvox dealer? Don’t think Alsyvox has anyone representing it.
No dealer of Alsyvox in HK yet.
:(

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, not sure of any primary dealership as yet or whether in the process of setting up. I would've thought by now...2024/25, especially considering HK and its highend market buying capacity, they should have Alsyvox fully established but doesn't seem to be the case.
I was thinking more on the lines where those private demos offered only through known contacts are either importing directly through Spore or through the middle eastern region. No issues there with service or tech support, they seem to be well looked after. I guess money rolls.
Oops, think I've said too much, I'll leave it at that.

I'm sure in the near future, Alsyvox will be there in one way or another. It's just a matter of time. If Diptyque is already established at the Adelphi Spore, I'm sure it should reach HK markets. Then again, I noticed during my recent travels, the type of audiophile in this region prefer large dynamic driver type speakers, not much interest in panels. Must be something to do with setting up dynamic driver type speakers in average size rooms compared to setting up larger panels. Larger exotic panels will not work in small to average rooms. Dynamic driver designs, there's always a way to make them work. Just look at those huge Wilson XVX's, can work just about ok even in smaller settings, massive rooms aren't required. It's quite amazing how they achieve it.

I'll be passing through Spore again this June/July, must see what's new on the horizon. Still looking forward to hearing those Genesis Tributes, oh man do they really look outstanding! Woof!

Until such time, enjoy those finest tunes!
Cheers, RJ

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing