Help Refine this system, please!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hear the same sort of horn coloration in the Murat video as in my Avantgardes, which is why I moved on from them. Other than that, they sound fantastic. Great music (the Shostakovich) which is a nice change from much of the standard audiophile fare.

It's not even remotely the same to me

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I hear the same sort of horn coloration in the Murat video as in my Avantgardes, which is why I moved on from them. Other than that, they sound fantastic. Great music (the Shostakovich) which is a nice change from much of the standard audiophile fare.

So what kind of horn coloration are we talking about? Nasal, shouty? I don't particularly hear that, apart from a general bleached-out brightness.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
So what kind of horn coloration are we talking about? Nasal, shouty? I don't particularly hear that, apart from a general bleached-out brightness.
I don’t hear the system as too bright. And it sounds like a really good recording and performance. I think the coloration I’m sensitive to is from the material of the horns, which I assume is plastic of some sort? ABS? It’s most evident to me in the strings. I always wanted to replace my duo mezzo AG horns with wood, but it would’ve been too big and undertaking!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don’t hear the system as too bright. And it sounds like a really good recording and performance. I think the coloration I’m sensitive to is from the material of the horns, which I assume is plastic of some sort? ABS? It’s most evident to me in the strings. I always wanted to replace my duo mezzo AG horns with wood, but it would’ve been too big and undertaking!

And you find that with this as well?

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Got, it the strings do sound weird. I was ascribing that more to the general malaise of system video recordings, but if you're attuned to the particular coloration that is a different matter.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
And you find that with this as well?

Just comparing the different Shostakovich recordings, I actually think the first recording (not in this batch, but from page 1 of the thread) sounds best. I do hear the "abs sound" in all of them. I'd be curious to hear Bionor's with the same recording. From what I've heard of them, just on video's here, I think they would not have this subtle coloration which I attribute, rightly or wrongly, to the abs material.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just comparing the different Shostakovich recordings, I actually think the first recording (not in this batch, but from page 1 of the thread) sounds best. I do hear the "abs sound" in all of them. I'd be curious to hear Bionor's with the same recording. From what I've heard of them, just on video's here, I think they would not have this subtle coloration which I attribute, rightly or wrongly, to the abs material.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This thread reads :

Help " Refine " this system, please!​

The title doesnt say: Put as many Horn information / vids as possibly can fit in a thread

What do you expect? ;) :D

Reactions: andromedaaudio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Refine a SETs powered system...and DON'T put as much horns-based info as possible?
Some mistake, surely?

Reactions: christoph

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Refine a SETs powered system...and DON'T put as much horns-based info as possible?
Some mistake, surely?
These are not SET amps, the Bernings he has are 60 watt Push pull OTLS .
Which leaves the door open to more neutral sounding loud speakers ( not Horns.)

Ps i have studied freq responses of many Horn units extensively , they are usually all over the place + - 5 db stuff like that.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The last horn i heard was at in 2014 , some 60 K Blumenhofer on Nagra 300 B s .
What a piece of crap , they have to pay me a substantial amount of money as a compensation to have that in my house to listen to on a daily basis .
Were talking at least 2 K/ per month :)

And yes i have heard a lot more horns before 2012 when i started posting on this forum

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Like most people in their late 60's, I do have some high frequency hearing loss (not extreme) and some tinnitus, again not extreme. I can still tell what sounds good and what doesn't. Electrical could certainly be an issue. We always make sure that nothing is running when we listen. Like last night, no washer/dryer, no A/C, no tv, no dishwasher etc. The only thing running was the refrigerator and a freezer. Last night they system sounded pretty damn good, unlike a few nights ago when I felt is sucked. Electrical is suspect when that happens, but it is also affected by mood and which bottle of wine we opened, the last being more important than most realize :oops:
Last night it was easy to hear the that the room was an issue, but I still think that the amp/speaker combo is the weak point, as many have suggested.

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus.

Electrical really has little to do with appliances running in the house. That's really not even scratching the surface as I suspect there's no end in sight if one were to do a deep dive. To the point where all appliances can be running and it doesn't matter what time of day or or night you're listening.

But electrical is so significant an impact, either negatviely or postively, that it could and should make many of these other suggestions seem like chasing windmills. Presuming of course the ultimate goal is the most enjoyable listening experience whatever that pleasure may be. ;)

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
If you have a coffee table between your listening position and your speakers ... remove it. I made this discovery while married but it always found it's way back . . . via my ex wife.

Eventually, musicality won out.
1642131308901.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing