Hard wiring speaker cables to cross-overs - any real sonic benefits?

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Im looking for a bit of advice
Some of my spades and banana plugs are getting a bit ropey and due a change. But my x-over is really easy to access, so I am if just soldering the speaker cable directly to the x-over wires would be better, or do you foresee any problems? Surely removing plugs and binding posts is a good idea? Save a small fortune on connectors too...there are 8 binding posts on each speaker...thats at least $2000 in 16 high quality binding posts and spade connectors alone...

I don’t foresee me changing my speaker cable either so that isn’t a consideration.
Thanks guys....

See my x-over;

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
I kind of split the difference and use low mass pure copper lever clips, although if I knew my gear was in its final location I'd probably go all the way and solder. I think it's a no-brainer if the system and room are stable enough that you can deal with the inconvenience. Why put all that extra metal in the middle of the signal path if it doesn't need to be there?

My (work) computer isn't showing your crossovers, so apologies if this is meaningless advice in your use case, but one thing to note is that you might have to do some sealing around the wires where they exit the speaker. I was getting some "chuffing" and "puffing" noises when I played loudly and had to seal the area with silicone. It was more challenging than I expected to seal the holes to prevent this. A lot of pressure inside the cabinet even despite the small pre-existing port...

Attachments

• Coincident PRE connectors.jpg
    Coincident PRE connectors.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 7
  • First Watt F4.jpg
    First Watt F4.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 7

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks Cal
My cross overs are in a separate compartment away from any driver enclosure, so that’s not a problem. Though I would get some kind of rubber bung to keep the wire in place and affix the cable up the cabinet so there isn’t any weight pulling on the wire too....
Did you note much difference before and after or did you start from scratch that way with your First Watt?

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Unfortunately for both the speakers and amplifier I incorporated the binding post modification along with other changes so I can't report on the degree of improvement. Damn greedy behavior. Sorry.

But like you said, I don't care how exotic and perfectly engineered the connector is, you're just adding more metal (and micro air gaps) to the signal path. It has to be better to go direct.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing