Field-Coil Speaker Review: the Wolf von Langa SON

Nov 25, 2023
New Hampshire
Wonderful report on the Sons. Today, Colin and another colleague of mine are experimenting with raising the Sons height by a few inches to see what the effects are, especially for taller users where their lower height may affect image height and scale. I notice your terraza style floors but presume you have a rug between you and the speakers. For me, once hearing the Sons going back to box speakers (even ones like Harbeth) is hard to do.

Enjoy!
Curious what you settle on. I have Wellfloat isolation bases on order which will raise them up two or so inches but not any higher than the Gaia footers that I’ve seen used. I’ll share my impressions after they arrive.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
The Wolfies have landed and are in the Haus!!! [updated photos]

son1.jpg son2.jpg son3.jpg

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Love the cabinets!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, David! They look beautiful!

Reactions: the sound of Tao

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Has anyone tried bi-wiring their Son’s? I noticed an improvement when I took this route.
Hmm, very well could be on my agenda in the new year. For now, I will enjoy them and honestly get to know them better in my various systems here. First up is getting jumpers to match my existing speaker cables — Van den Hul 3T Air Flat. I like them more and more and forgot I even had them boxed, sitting on a shelf in my storage closet.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Has anyone tried bi-wiring their Son’s? I noticed an improvement when I took this route.
Yes, I recommend it. The included jumpers are good (use the top set of the bottom four binding posts when single wiring) but the speakers let you hear your system. Nice improvement.

Reactions: ThatStereoSound
Nov 25, 2023
New Hampshire
Did you add the Wellfloat base for the anesthetics (they go together well) or to raise the speaker a bit higher?
It was for vibration isolation since I had them directly on the floor previously and didn’t have feet for them yet. The added height though only 2” does make a difference and it’s a coincidence that the Wellfloat sizing is perfect for the sons. The price for two Wellfloat bases also seems to be lower than 8 footers when looking at higher end ones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing