Experiences with vintage preamps with tone controls?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I'm considering ditching my Lamm LL2.1 for a vintage pre with tone controls. Here's my thinking: I listen to a bunch of different music types and a bunch of different quality LPs... I don't just buy audiophile recordings. It seems like often I'm listening to something bass heavy and it sounds awesome and then I put on some Jazz and the bass sounds great but then another Jazz LP and the bass is gone. Same with highs. They are never muted but sometimes if I'm listening very loud I wish I could roll off the highs a bit.

So I'm looking at maybe a rebuilt Luxman LC-35 MKIII or something like that conceptually.

Has anyone had experience with a vintage preamp in a high end system?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My modern Octave HP 700 preamp has tone controls, which come in handy on some occasions (I rarely use them though, but I see your point).

Yet if you like the sound of your Lamm but still want a tone control at a reasonable price, I would suggest trying the Schiit tone control:

A friend bought it for his highly resolving system and he and another friend were astonished just how transparent it was to the signal when they heard it in the system.

The Lamm/Schiit combo probably has a very good chance of beating a vintage preamp. You just need an extra pair of high-quality interconnects as well.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One more thing. Don't be shocked by, or suspicious of, the relatively low price of the Schiit Loki Max. That's what Schiit does, deliver astonishing quality at very reasonable prices, very much below typical ones for high-end. A friend ditched his multiple times more expensive DAC for a Schiit Yggdrasil, which he found to sound better and equally resolving (I agreed with him, extensively hearing the comparison in his system at the time).

Reactions: Fishfood

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A few comments:

1) some phono preamps have variable curve for different era records, could be a factor here not sure.

2); at least one phono preamp thst I know of has a set of ' tone controls ' designed around the idea of pressing issues ( pm for detail - cannot mention by name here per current forum rules since I formerly had a commercial interest in the line ).

3) yes an outboard eq could make a lot of sense, especially as you like your Lamm gear. Sure the Schitt does a lot for very good price. Haven't heard it yet unfortunately. One test of an eq is if it is transparent when set at neutral ( as mentioned regarding Schitt ). In the studio world what really gets people going is what happens when the knobs are turned. Real mastering quality eqs cost around what nice preamps cost ( of course....more going on here versus a line pre,, not less ). A Gyraf G14 might rock your world :)

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A few comments:

1) some phono preamps have variable curve for different era records, could be a factor here not sure.

2); at least one phono preamp thst I know of has a set of ' tone controls ' designed around the idea of pressing issues ( pm for detail - cannot mention by name here per current forum rules since I formerly had a commercial interest in the line ).

3) yes an outboard eq could make a lot of sense, especially as you like your Lamm gear. Sure the Schitt does a lot for very good price. Haven't heard it yet unfortunately. One test of an eq is if it is transparent when set at neutral ( as mentioned regarding Schitt ). In the studio world what really gets people going is what happens when the knobs are turned. Real mastering quality eqs cost around what nice preamps cost ( of course....more going on here versus a line pre,, not less ). A Gyraf G14 might rock your world :)

Again, the Schiit was reported to be transparent, and of course that was when set as neutral. But it can be tried out at home for little money: it has a 15-day return period with a 5% restocking fee. That's like, 75 bucks or something (plus return shipping). A no-brainer of an experiment, if you ask me. That's also the condition under which I could audition my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, and I never returned it.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Again, the Schiit was reported to be transparent, and of course that was when set as neutral. But it can be tried out at home for little money: it has a 15-day return period with a 5% restocking fee. That's like, 75 bucks or something (plus return shipping). A no-brainer of an experiment, if you ask me. That's also the condition under which I could audition my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, and I never returned it.
I was going to say that about the return policy. Definitely going to give one a try. I've seen the G14 in use on a feature film mixing stage. Magic... but those guys really know how to use it.

Reactions: Solypsa and Al M.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Sounds like you have a good plan :)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'm considering ditching my Lamm LL2.1 for a vintage pre with tone controls. Here's my thinking: I listen to a bunch of different music types and a bunch of different quality LPs... I don't just buy audiophile recordings. It seems like often I'm listening to something bass heavy and it sounds awesome and then I put on some Jazz and the bass sounds great but then another Jazz LP and the bass is gone. Same with highs. They are never muted but sometimes if I'm listening very loud I wish I could roll off the highs a bit.

So I'm looking at maybe a rebuilt Luxman LC-35 MKIII or something like that conceptually.

Has anyone had experience with a vintage preamp in a high end system?
I recently picked up a Soundcraftsmen EQ/Preamp/phonostage for a cheap price in Europe. In the US prices are dirt cheap on occasion. Look into that. With mild EQ corrections you can dial in the speakers to adjust for the room dynamics.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
You like its SQ?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You like its SQ?
No chance to test yet, as I am in process of setting up a 2nd system with it as the lynchpin. My buddy says it rivals his Threshold pre , with a narrower soundstage, with a very decent Phonostage and great tonality. For the money, below $500 its a steal. Model is PE2217. Key is not to abuse the EQ. Slight adjustments to adjust speakers to room. In the past, people went overboard and did massive knob shifts and that is where the folkloric distortion came into play. This stuff was made by real craftsmen. LoL

Reactions: Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing