Does Step up transformer affect the Sound Quality?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Only if you believe ignorance is bliss!

david
David it’s complex and I’m not the ignorant one. to say in a blanket manner it’s always bad simply means you are what you say I am. is grounding ignorant too david.
there is no doubt better power is an obvious improvement unless your system is not able to portray it lol.
all houses are fed from a transformer and in mist cases many are on just one.
i helped one guy who had his own transformer for his house. you seem to always negative on any form of possible power improvements
yet you claim 30 foot SE interconnects are just fine lol. Not saying if done well it can be passable. But a well made bal is better if long.
reg him changing the input voltage I do agree it’s a good possible simple Choice.
but almost any front end uses low power and greatly benefits from a balanced iso period. and better made audio devices may use a balanced iso inside.
stop being be all end all negative

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Kid yourself if want your AC line argument is moot. It’s proven fact that what you stick between a component and the wall outlet has a direct effect on the sound!
Are you claiming an appliance transformer has no affect on sound?

david

Is everything you have written here simply based on random assertion or do you have any relevant observations to offer with regards to the specifics of the matter under discussion?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...Here are the specification.

1) DAC

- Power Supply: Factory set to either 100-120. 220-240V AC 50/60Hz
(It is set for 220-240V, with Type F consent type, widely used in Europe/Eastern Asia countries)
- Power Consumption: 6.5W typical, 50W maximum
This spec listing implies that the manufacturer of this unit either has a 100-120v transformer available, or that it has two taps to be selected from. The wording "set to" would give weight to the idea that it has two taps.

If its what you want and the price is right buy it. Open box and determine if it is as simple as changing taps. ( follow common sense safety in this endeavor ).

If it is not, contact manufacturer for replacement or part number...

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I use a step up transformer for my rice cooker but so far I haven’t noticed any difference in taste...

• Haha
Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David it’s complex and I’m not the ignorant one. to say in a blanket manner it’s always bad simply means you are what you say I am. is grounding ignorant too david.
there is no doubt better power is an obvious improvement unless your system is not able to portray it lol.
all houses are fed from a transformer and in mist cases many are on just one.
i helped one guy who had his own transformer for his house. you seem to always negative on any form of possible power improvements
yet you claim 30 foot SE interconnects are just fine lol. Not saying if done well it can be passable. But a well made bal is better if long.
reg him changing the input voltage I do agree it’s a good possible simple Choice.
but almost any front end uses low power and greatly benefits from a balanced iso period. and better made audio devices may use a balanced iso inside.
stop being be all end all negative

Question;
I’m wondering if using Step-down transformer affect Sound Quality.

Answer;
Transformers DO affect the sound of electronics and IME always negatively.
What do you want me to say Al if this exchange is too complex for you.

@montesquieu, what's your argument, appliance transformers stuck inline with an audio component don't affect sound or my experience and preference be damned?

I also recommended @Sangbro to verify if he can't internally change the voltage or get a replacement transformer from the manufacturer before purchasing an appliance transformer, you have a problem with that too?

david

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I agree. I think as long as transformer has enough capacity, then there would be no problem at all (no weird noise, jitter.)

In Asia, Japanese stuff (this I understand) have really attractive price, especially in person. Accuphase is a true gem in here.
Also, somehow (this I don’t understand) some European products (UK specially) are way cheaper than the US MSRP.
Some popular UK products are at least 25%-30% cheaper than pre tax price. And if you buy some volume, there would be more discount.
My understanding is that most Accuphase gear (if that’s what you are buying) is easily converted to US voltage by moving a couple of leads. Certainly that’s what our dealers do when they are shipping to the US.

Reactions: Sangbro

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I use a step up transformer for my rice cooker but so far I haven’t noticed any difference in taste...
I speculate that your rice cooker is digital.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
As usual, some pretty polarizing views and experience here regarding the OP's questions and predicament.

The simplest solution should Sangbro buy this DAC which according to spec is adjustable internally is if he doesn't want to tackle it himself is have a tech open it up to ascertain the process for swapping to the 100-120v input voltage setting. This could be a simple slider switch on a board, a quick disconnect tab, or a solder job being least common. All pretty straightforward and causing few arguments. This is the best solution.

In the highly unlikely event of a step up in voltage being required, placing a suitable toroidal of 120-230v of 100va will be perfectly fine. Degradation in sound quality will only ever be heard if the transformer is of incorrect specification and construction. Given that the DAC spec indicates low energy requirement, 100va will be more than enough to power this without saturation. A 'loss of dynamics' will simply not be evident. However, as Montesquieu above suggests, using this opportunity to spec a 120v input to 115v - 0v - 115v step up transformer would give an appreciable upgrade in sonic output of the DAC. Adding a DC filter to the input would be beneficial also. But I think all of this won't be necessary..

The SU tx in the link would not be the best choice btw Sangbro, you are looking to power a DAC, not a pair of monoblock amplifiers!

Best Rgds,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing