100.5 KB · Views: 4,708
  • AVR5308CI_Large_Fr&#.jpg
    AVR5308CI_Large_Fr&#.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,789
Last edited:
From Denon's site....

AVR-5308CI (A)

MSRP $5500

Setting the reference standard for sound and video quality, the AVR-5308CI(A) is packed with all of the latest technologies for the ultimate home theater experience.

Featuring THX Ultra2 certification, the AVR-5308CI(A) features Denon’s legendary D.D.S.C.-HD surround sound decoding, employing no less than 3 high speed DSP processors, along with precision Burr-Brown DACs in differential mode on all output channels (12).

Able to decode the latest high definition audio formats, such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio via the latest HDMI v1.3a specification.

Video sources, regardless of resolution or format, are upconverted to high definition via the top-performing Realta HQV video processor, all the way up to 1080p.

The versatile multi-zone functions include independent high definition and standard definition outputs. A host of digital media connectivity features includes network audio and photo streaming, via Ethernet and built-in Wi-Fi, along with internet radio stations, built-in HD radio, and XM satellite-ready capability.

This latest "A" version now includes Audyssey Dynamic Volume, and is also Sirius Radio Ready.

**For More Detailed Specifications....

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3755.asp#

Last edited:
Excerpt From Audioholics Review:

Conclusions and Overall Perceptions

Here's the thing. This receiver is absolutely the most top-of-the-line product you can pick up for $5500.

With a built-in Silicon Optix HQV Realta processor included, it's hard not to look at it as a $3500 receiver plus a $2000 video processor.

Or is that a $5500 receiver with a free processor?

It's also so ridiculously similar to the AVP-A1HDCI (sans balanced outputs but including 7 amplifiers) that it begs the question:

Is it really enough of an audible difference to warrant paying an additional $2000 for the separates processor? I'd have to say 'No' but ultimately you can read the AVP-A1HDCI processor review and decide for yourself.

The AVR-5308CI is a powerhouse receiver that delivers the goods whether they come from DVD, Blu-ray, SACD, USB, PC, HD Radio, XM or the Internet. That's a lot of music.

THX Ultra2 processing and certification means that this product was also put through the ringer by the folks at THX.

I found this to be the most enjoyable receiver I've ever had in my AV rack and one that I'll likely purchase for my reference system. If that's not a good enough endorsement then I'm all out of ideas.

**For entire complete review****

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/denon-avr-5308ci

Last edited:
Some Pertinent features:

* 3 high speed DSP processors, along with precision Burr-Brown DACs in differential mode on all output channels (12).

* Dolby Digital, dts and DSP Modes – Analog Devices, HammerHead SHARC

* DAC's -- 24-bit/192kHz - Burr-Brown PCM-1804

* Able to decode the latest high definition audio formats, such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio via the latest HDMI v1.3a specification.

* Video sources, regardless of resolution or format, are upconverted to high definition via the top-performing Realta HQV video processor, all the way up to 1080p.

* Network audio and photo streaming, via Ethernet and built-in Wi-Fi, along with internet radio stations, built-in HD radio, and XM & Sirius satellite-ready capability.

* This latest "A" version now includes Audyssey Dynamic Volume

* HDMI 1.3a Inputs -- 6

* HDMI 1.3a Outputs -- 2

* 10 Channel amplifier rated at 150 Watts per channel

* Toroidal Power Transformer -- 1 Main Toroid + 4 EI Type Sub Transformers

* 10-Ch External Analog Input

For More...

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3755.asp#

Last edited:
Denon claims 10 channels rated at 150 Watts per channel, but the Audioholics review says...

"The power supplies are located dead center, actually two additional E-core transformers (borrowed from the AVR-2805) are located on the backside of the receiver to provide additional power capability for the 10 internal 170wpc amplifiers.

* Two high current complementary output power BJTs per channel (with smaller cascaded devices) - paralleling multiple BJTs is a good method of ensuring amplifier output impedance is low enough to deliver high current while driving low impedance loads. It's also an effective way of minimizing frequency response variations which can occur when driving highly reactive speaker loads and exotic cabling. While the AVR-5805 doesn't have the real estate to sport multiple sets of power devices typically found on dedicated amps, it does have a single and conventionally much larger pair per channel that are top notch and as you can see in our measurements, perform commendably well.

* Multiple high voltage (80V) capacitors (4 x 33,000uF = 132,000uF, or 66,000uF per rail). In order to do 170wpc, a minimum recommended cap voltage of sqrt(2)*34.64 + 5 = 57V should be used. Using 80V gives them plenty of design margin and added headroom since the rails can swing much higher.

* A massive torodial transformer (borrowed from the AVR-5803) and dual E-core transformers (borrowed from the AVR-2805) ensures this amp can utilize the full rated power from the wall outlet (120V,15A) if called upon."

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/denon-avr-5805/build-quality

Denon claims 10 channels rated at 150 Watts per channel, but the Audioholics review says...
Perhaps this part of the review is more relevant :)

"For the fun of it I reran this test for five channels driven and was able to achieve about 145wpc at 0.1% distortion but again watched the line voltage sag down to 110V during this test. Thus again, this amp is certainly able to deliver the full capabilities of a 15A outlet and then some! Based on the amount of power reserves available in this receiver I would venture to say if you had a stabilized dedicated line to run this receiver, it could probably drive up to 7 channels simultaneously at full bandwidth unclipped at its rated 170wpc into 8 ohms assuming an internal fuse doesn't blown first. Before you actually declare your set-up can achieve this power, consider this: The efficiency of a typical class A/B amp, such as the ones found in this receiver, is around 35-40%. Let's assume 40% in this instance. In order to deliver 170wpc x 7, it would require: 170*7/.4 = 2975 watts! For a 120VAC system your line would be required to deliver 25 amps! Unless you are running 3 phase power, or convince the power company to run 6AWG romex and up the circuit breaker from a standard 15A to a hulking 25A, this simply isn't gonna happen (no, not even with name brand separates). Not to mention the fact that UL certified products such as this one are limited to 15A power consumption at the interface connector for safety reasons. Remember this next time your friend boasts about his dedicated 7CH 200wpc Class A/B amp which sports a single line cord connection."

So no, it can't do 10 channels at 170 watts. But does pretty well with 5 channels at rated output (although .1% distortion is a bit high in my book).

That's just one of the reasons I enjoy Audioholics and their reviews. Once you understand that they deal in objective info and you decide that's what you need/want -- they deliver. Now, if only they reviewed the other receivers in our survey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing