Denon and no sound to speakers

shade23

Feb 17, 2022
I have just been given a Denon AVR-1708 A/V receiver without the remote. I am behind the times, and I like the stereo stuff out of the sixties and seventies, and the new stuff is great but more complicated. The AVR- plays great on FM and AM and sounds great but when I use a DVD and TV, I get a picture but no sound to the speakers. I have tried various input and output configurations, and nothing works. I am sure that either I am not programming the unit correctly or the unit is bad. I can use another A/V unit and it works fine. I am sure that when playing a DVD, I am not sending sound to the speakers correctly. Any suggestions of fixing an annoying problem. Thank you.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have just been given a Denon AVR-1708 A/V receiver without the remote. I am behind the times, and I like the stereo stuff out of the sixties and seventies, and the new stuff is great but more complicated. The AVR- plays great on FM and AM and sounds great but when I use a DVD and TV, I get a picture but no sound to the speakers. I have tried various input and output configurations, and nothing works. I am sure that either I am not programming the unit correctly or the unit is bad. I can use another A/V unit and it works fine. I am sure that when playing a DVD, I am not sending sound to the speakers correctly. Any suggestions of fixing an annoying problem. Thank you.
Hi,
Have you tried going into input settings and playing around there? Often the same input name can have a few possible inputs and you need to choose one.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My guess.
I think there is some sort of automatic switch that anticipates you will be using your own sound system for home theatre. You need to locate that and defeat it. Sadly that may require a remote. Some functions can only be accessed via remote.

Hope that helps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing