David berning zh-230

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A good match for the David Berning. 36 Watts into for for less than $8.5 k. Of course David is one of the great names in audio amplifier design. This is ZOTL design David Bernings version of the OTL amp. I have not heard it yet.
The review is in theabsoulte sound 2/2011-issue 210,pp.79-81.

For those who can't afford the $140k Lamm.

Attachments

• Pure_Reference_Ex.jpg
    Pure_Reference_Ex.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 35_-David-Berning&#.jpg
    35_-David-Berning&#.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,545

caesar

May 30, 2010
Roy Gregory LOVED his bigger amps. In part, the glowing Martin Logan CLX review he wrote was due to the amps.

The problem is this seems like another garage operation. How would one go about auditioning these in his system?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Roy Gregory LOVED his bigger amps. In part, the glowing Martin Logan CLX review he wrote was due to the amps.

The problem is this seems like another garage operation. How would one go about auditioning these in his system?

He has been around for along time. Getting an audition is not easy.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'll be honest (and I've heard a Z270 in my old system in NYC which I liked quite a bit, but they had discontinued production at the time)---this looks like a garage built amplifier at a cadillac price. I respect David Berning, but the cost should be less than 5k for this thing.

Reactions: French Fred

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
garage??

I'll be honest (and I've heard a Z270 in my old system in NYC which I liked quite a bit, but they had discontinued production at the time)---this looks like a garage built amplifier at a cadillac price. I respect David Berning, but the cost should be less than 5k for this thing.

hi everybody,

I must admit, I am biased, running both a ZH270 and a new ZH230 (albeit in prototype form):

this is great gear, way over the usual Conrad Johnson or Audio Research Field. I do not know every gear, so I try and be careful; lets just say, I am a professional violinist, and this is it for me as monitoring device as much as for pleasure!

and as much as David may be not easily reachable, why not try the official website approach ;-)
there is always a prompt response in my experience.

Egidius

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
here is the amplifier in question---picture from last month's TAS:

View attachment 1459

I wonder if more people have heard this amp?
I was in the absolutely fortunate position to have it for a year in my system, albeit at the moment it is waiting, as I am smitten by the Audio Consulting MIPA amplifiers. There are people who seriously say, that these are among the 5 best amps in the world - I could imagine they are not far off, but I get the same impression with the Berning. So which other three amps would be among those "5 best"????

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
here is the amplifier in question---picture from last month's TAS:

View attachment 1459

That case is the basically the cheapest type of enclosure you can build. It’s just a piece of sheet metal with two bends. It’s not very sturdy (it can’t be by design), and it probably involves some pushing and pulling to get the fasteners lined up when installing the top/sides.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Has anyone heard his Quadrature Z amps? Also very expensive, and the chassis isn't much different from the above amp. I've read a couple of reports saying they will drive hard loads like electrostats without the problems that OTLs might have (without autoformers).

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have heard the Quad Z mono's in a friends system. They were driving Coincident Pure Ref Extreme speakers. The sound was very good. Very transparent and clear. Right up my alley sound wise. The Coincident speakers are not a tough load though. I would like to try them out on my stats someday.

Sean

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone heard his Quadrature Z amps? Also very expensive, and the chassis isn't much different from the above amp. I've read a couple of reports saying they will drive hard loads like electrostats without the problems that OTLs might have (without autoformers).

I have spoken to someone with Alexandrias and he swears by his Quad Zs. Again, not an especially hard load as i understand, though i am no techie.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
zh230/270

I have spoken to someone with Alexandrias and he swears by his Quad Zs. Again, not an especially hard load as i understand, though i am no techie.

Same here: I have used the ZH 230 and the ZH270 for years now, very satisfied. But no experience with the Q'z..
But judging from their behaviour, i'd say yes go for it, they punch way beyond their Wattage, especially what bass control concerns absolutely tight!

e

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes i own a pair of QZ's. They will drive most anything out there.

Nice! If i may ask, what do you drive with your Quad Zs?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Aerial 20T's and i have never had anything close to drive them the way they do. Amazing....

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A good match for the David Berning. 36 Watts into for for less than $8.5 k. Of course David is one of the great names in audio amplifier design. This is ZOTL design David Bernings version of the OTL amp. I have not heard it yet.
The review is in theabsoulte sound 2/2011-issue 210,pp.79-81.

For those who can't afford the $140k Lamm.

I can't tell which speakers are these :( (getting old....)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing