comfortable headphones?

bobcornelis

Sep 8, 2022
I'm trying to create a wired headphone system and am struggling to find something I can wear comfortably. I'm hoping to find something of good quality in the $350-500 range.

I was using Audio Technica ATHM50XBTs for a while but found the earpads too small, I need something that will not touch my ears. I tried replacing the earpads but this totally messed up the sound.

I read a couple of review lists of most comfortable audiophile headphones that highly recommended the Sennheiser HD660s so I bought a pair. I really like the sound but am finding them pretty uncomfortable. Too much clamping pressure. The earpads are better in that they don't touch my ears, though the padding isn't as soft as the ATs. I think if the clamping pressure weren't so great on the Sennheisers they could work though - is there any way to reduce clamping pressure without damaging them? If they will loosen up over time, any speculation about how much (small, medium, large amount) and how many hours of wearing time it might take?

I know comfort with headphones is very subjective and depends on individual anatomical considerations, etc. But are there other recommendations you could make that I might try? I'd really like a headphone solution (open back ideally) vs an IEM one but may have to go that route.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you tried replacement pads?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is unlikely your head is bigger than mine. Both literally and figuratively speaking. I have the Senn .HD800s I have switched out pads because I hated the stock pads. If you like I can try and dig the box out to see what brand it is. It is definitely a matter of personal preference. Mine snapped in and out of place easily. No problem there.

bobcornelis

Sep 8, 2022
Sure, that would be appreciated if you told me what ear pads you used on your Senn HD800s. I really like the sound of the Senn HD660S that I bought over the Audio Technicas I already had. My problem with the Senns is not the earpads per se, but rather the clamping pressure. Maybe different earpads could mitigate the clamping problem? If I could get the clamping pressure of the Audio Technicas on the Senn HD660S I'd be in heaven!

I did read in advance that changing earpads on the Audio Technicas was a bad idea and that was proven true in my case. Not sure if it is something specific to those phones, it does seem to me that new earpads that change the physical relationship of the ears to the speakers would mess with the sound. I assume you didn't feel that was true when you changed your pads.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Are you a member of head fi. I find those guys to be very knowledgeble. I don't have personal experience with 600. I personally have not heard of your problem. Maybe they have a solution. They have given me excellent advice.

bobcornelis

Sep 8, 2022
Are you a member of head fi. I find those guys to be very knowledgeble. I don't have personal experience with 600. I personally have not heard of your problem. Maybe they have a solution. They have given me excellent advice.
Thanks for the pointer - don't know them but just joined and will post there. In doing more searching I've come across a couple of articles comparing the 660S and the 650 Sennheisers. While they both somewhat prefer the 660S soundwise, they both note the clamping force of the 660S being greater and definitely uncomfortable for some. I've ordered the 650 to see if it might work better for me.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
You can adjust the clamp on the Senn HD 600. Extend the metal arms from the headband. You can apply some subtle force to bend the arms slightly and this can adjust the clamp tension. Do not bend the plastic in the head band. It will crack.

bobcornelis

Sep 8, 2022
Thanks for this suggestion - I was wondering about how to adjust these and what you're saying makes sense and I could see it possibly helping. I'm a little worried about attempting this - I bought them on Amazon and there's a high likelihood I will return them. I'd be a little worried about damaging them or doing something that would prevent them from being accepted. Though I have no idea of what happens to returns of expensive products like this, whether Amazon examines them or even attempts to resell them. I hope they do, I hate to think about them just getting tossed.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Try and live with them for a day or so and concentrate on the sound. If you like them the adjustment to reduce the clamp is well know and I have done this on a recently purchased HD650. The pads will conform to your head shape slowly over time. My well worn HD600’s are very comfortable.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you considered the Drop 8xx?. Same as min, for much less price. Also there is a drop 6xx. My 800s is very comfortable. My head size is 7 1/4".

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks for this suggestion - I was wondering about how to adjust these and what you're saying makes sense and I could see it possibly helping. I'm a little worried about attempting this - I bought them on Amazon and there's a high likelihood I will return them. I'd be a little worried about damaging them or doing something that would prevent them from being accepted. Though I have no idea of what happens to returns of expensive products like this, whether Amazon examines them or even attempts to resell them. I hope they do, I hate to think about them just getting tossed.
Don't worry. Amazon will find then a home. I think they call it "B" stock.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I know the topic is very subjective, but I find most of Beyerdynamic headphones very comfortable. There's something about the earpads they use that makes them really easy to wear even for a long time.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I know the topic is very subjective, but I find most of Beyerdynamic headphones very comfortable. There's something about the earpads they use that makes them really easy to wear even for a long time.
That is certainly a common opinion in the many reviews I've read. I have the DT 1990 Pro and love the sound quality, but if clamping pressure is a concern, they will not satisfy. The Amiron has very low clamping pressure and a sound that is more consumer oriented than the DT 1990 Pro.

Republicoftexas69

I really like my Focal Clear and Celestee headphones, open and closed back, comfortable and great imaging. I have a SPL Phonitor 2 I use for double duty as a pre and HP amp. fantastic.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I really like my Focal Clear and Celestee headphones, open and closed back, comfortable and great imaging. I have a SPL Phonitor 2 I use for double duty as a pre and HP amp. fantastic.
Focals are well known for their comfort, that is true. I like higher end HiFiMans as well. And obviously HD800...

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing