Can I use this Custom 16amp outlet for my Gryphon??

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi All,

I have emailed Gryphon and am hoping for some positive answers, but meanwhile, attached below is a 16amp outlet for use for on a dedicated line for a power amp.

Is this something i can use with my Gryphon Amp? I am told this picture is of a CEE17 inlet, and i would need to reterminate my power cable. The question is...if i did reterminate my Gryphon power cable, would it be ok if plugged my Gryphon amp into this dedicated 16 amp outlet (UK is normally 13amp)?

Thanks for any advice!! IMG_20160106_133048.jpg

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
First off i am not a electrician and no one on this forum will guarantee for the safety of your electrical system.
So here are my thoughts:

To go from a 13amp to 16 amp max current delivery specification is a good thing for any Amp as Headroom is what you are after when it comes to soundquality. This does not mean your amp will be pulling 16 amps from the wall!

As long as the voltage is of the right spec there should not be a problem with going on the dedicated line.

The only thing i can think of is that some people have reportd ground humm issues when the system is connected to two different lines because of difference in Potential.

Hope this helps you..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you! I have also now heard from Gryphon Audio directly, and they are fine with this outlet as well. The key is trying to reterminate my existing Gryphon VIP Ref cable and seeing if it will work...its a fairly fat cable though not nearly as fat as my PAD Dominus and Anniversary Contegos. Will see if one of the bigger distributors/dealers has an audiotech who can help us out. Thanks again!

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Thank you! I have also now heard from Gryphon Audio directly, and they are fine with this outlet as well. The key is trying to reterminate my existing Gryphon VIP Ref cable and seeing if it will work...its a fairly fat cable though not nearly as fat as my PAD Dominus and Anniversary Contegos. Will see if one of the bigger distributors/dealers has an audiotech who can help us out. Thanks again!

Assuming the Gryphon does not have some very fancy geometry or conductors with individualy insulated strands it should not be that much of a deal to reterminate. Then again finding some shrink wrap to fit over that connector might be an issue :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Assuming the Gryphon does not have some very fancy geometry or conductors with individualy insulated strands it should not be that much of a deal to reterminate. Then again finding some shrink wrap to fit over that connector might be an issue :)

yes, that is exactly what they said! they referred to the width of the cable, and wondered if an audiotech could reterminate. Gryphon does not carry the CEE17 plug outlet. I will ask tomorrow. Would certainly be fun to use this outlet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing