Boulder to Gryphon

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Beautiful.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
My system was Innuos-Statement -> dCS Rossini+Clock -> Boulder 2110 -> Boulder 2160 -> Magico M3. I have Tyr2 power throughout and am using Qbase8/4 and Qx2/Qx4 with V2 for speaker cables. I was able to live with the setup for about 7 months. For some reason, things did not seem relaxing anymore. I was not being drawn into listen. I might have had way too much resolution on the chain. Sounded great but something missing....so.....

I've always wanted to go into Gryphon land. Given that I've heard of 'em and spoken of in hallowed terms and since it seemed like all their gear is hell bent on world domination....I'm wondering what intel I could gather on how these play along with Nordost Tyr2 for interconnects and Nordost V2 for speaker cables? What other tethers have people tried and have had success with?

Thanks!

aLV
IMO, your issue is the Nordost cables. I think they are generally awful for all but the warmest gooey systems, but for your gear definitely awful. Start with the cables and I mean ALL those Nordost cables, replace with something more neutral, or warm. Tellurium Q would be a a great cable, but good luck dealing with Tone Imports. For me personally I'd take the least path of resistance, and work forward to the most expensive pieces. Someone else recommended MSB, I can whole-heartedly agree with this recommendation, it would compliment your gear well. Boulder is awesome stuff, but that and Magico, and DCS AND Nordost...No way no how...Gotta get some warmer gear in there somewhere, my opinion is it's the cables that are the issue.

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
@skids929 -- that was the issue BUT i have been a dCS fan since the 2000s.
in any case....i'm really liking the way the system sounds now with the setup.
thanks for the input....

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
all gryphon cabling....

Reactions: skids929

alvinjamur

Dec 14, 2020
I've been at this for about 35 years. What keeps this industry alive, I realize, is people going back and forth about
how to get the max of their setups -- that leads to mixing matching etc., and oftentimes the purpose (listen to music)
of the whole thing takes a back seat.....I wanted to "synergize" components as much as I could but with the caveat
that it be CLASS A -- I cannot listen to anything else as I was seduced by the sonics of class A a long time ago!!

Reactions: HughP3

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I've been at this for about 35 years. What keeps this industry alive, I realize, is people going back and forth about
how to get the max of their setups -- that leads to mixing matching etc., and oftentimes the purpose (listen to music)
of the whole thing takes a back seat.....I wanted to "synergize" components as much as I could but with the caveat
that it be CLASS A -- I cannot listen to anything else as I was seduced by the sonics of class A a long time ago!!

Yep! Same for me, I can't listen to anything but Pure 100% delicious Class A amplifiers. I love my Sugden first in Class A circuits!

I am sure your set up sounds great with those cables. Enjoy the music!

• Love
Reactions: alvinjamur

AThrillOfHope

Jul 27, 2021
@skids929 -- that was the issue BUT i have been a dCS fan since the 2000s.
in any case....i'm really liking the way the system sounds now with the setup.
thanks for the input....

There is something to be said for brand loyalty. I'd be hard-pressed to shake out my Audio Research pre-amp to any other brand ... at least if I am sticking with SS amps.

Last edited:

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
IMO, your issue is the Nordost cables. I think they are generally awful for all but the warmest gooey systems, but for your gear definitely awful. Start with the cables and I mean ALL those Nordost cables, replace with something more neutral, or warm. Tellurium Q would be a a great cable, but good luck dealing with Tone Imports. For me personally I'd take the least path of resistance, and work forward to the most expensive pieces. Someone else recommended MSB, I can whole-heartedly agree with this recommendation, it would compliment your gear well. Boulder is awesome stuff, but that and Magico, and DCS AND Nordost...No way no how...Gotta get some warmer gear in there somewhere, my opinion is it's the cables that are the issue.
Interesting, my experience with Nordost cabling is completely different from yours:) In my system they are very nice and warm in my opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing