jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I use Decibal 10th because it's free...

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Get the MicW i436 measurement microphone for iPhone/iPad, while you're at it.

The Studio Six Digital suite is very good.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The JL Audio free SPL app is way off .....

You Bet! I have the "upgraded" version of the JL apps and it is also a total piece of crap. IT'S A TOY, doesn't work worth a damn.

I can go into the quietest closet in my house, hold the iPhone between a rack full of suits and sport jackets, turn off the main circuit breakers in the house, hold my breath and it still registers 40-50 dB. What a waste. I should get my money back.

There is no way any of those apps can even be imagined to replace a real measuring device of any kind.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Tried Decibel 10th it appears worfully inadequte for bass frequencies , actually a fault of the Iphone more so software IMO.
I'm going to drag my LMS system home and measure the room to see how far off the Iphone really is , it does appear pathetic in the bass regions for sure ....

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Check out Faber Acoustical on the app-store if you want a precision tool.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
The problem maybe the jack of all trades master of none Iphone, not necessarily the apps ....:)

With a microphone attached, you get a very reliable measuring instrument. Several of these app's are calibrated for specific mic's.

Such as this one:

I436-banner.jpg

The Faber app's work on the iPad and iPhone. The iPad is used as an instrument emulator for a variety of critical fields. Both iPhone and iPad have computers onboard, and can process properly. So you basically have a Garbage-In/Garbage-Out situation, which can be improved by using an external microphone in this case (as well as a stand, if you want to be accurate.)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You Bet! I have the "upgraded" version of the JL apps and it is also a total piece of crap. IT'S A TOY, doesn't work worth a damn.

I can go into the quietest closet in my house, hold the iPhone between a rack full of suits and sport jackets, turn off the main circuit breakers in the house, hold my breath and it still registers 40-50 dB. What a waste. I should get my money back.

There is no way any of those apps can even be imagined to replace a real measuring device of any kind.
Maybe you have LOUD suits.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
With a microphone attached, you get a very reliable measuring instrument. Several of these app's are calibrated for specific mic's.

Such as this one:

View attachment 7015

The Faber app's work on the iPad and iPhone. The iPad is used as an instrument emulator for a variety of critical fields. Both iPhone and iPad have computers onboard, and can process properly. So you basically have a Garbage-In/Garbage-Out situation, which can be improved by using an external microphone in this case (as well as a stand, if you want to be accurate.)

Yes .. This makes more sense and i can see where this external mic and file would be favorable.........

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/405975.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing