Battery powered SSD - a tweak that really works !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
OK, it is not a new idea. I have been reading about this on various forums for almost two years, but never decided to try this approach myself.

For one, I see no reason why separetely powering an SSD (a few chips in a box) could make any meaningful difference in SQ, when there is MoBo with literaly dosens, if not hundreds of chips sitting next to it, that still get the regular MoBo power. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Secondly, all the solutions that people tried were a DIY ones, that required homebrewing various cables, not to mention the need to periodicly recharge the batteries. All too much for me.

About two months ago I have learned that Jcat introduced their own, plug & play solution - a complete product that comes with all neccessary cables and autocharging battery, that anyone could install within seconds. It also looked like sth that I could finally place next to my hifi rig ...

Unfortunately, I have learned about this too late, and when I finally did - the whole batch was sold out :( I had to wait till mid January to get one and ... it proved to be a true revelation.

The Jcat battery PSU powering the SSD gave me one of the biggest SQ improvement in my 5 years long computer audio adventure. It by far exceeds improvement brought by various software, like Windows Server 2012 or Audiophile Optimizer or different USB cables. In my case, the magnitude of changes is eaqual to going full linear PSU from the swichers (both on the MoBo and the USB card).

The battery power gives you - for a lack of better word - less noise. Noise, that you were not even aware was there, until it was gone. The resolution increases greatly, as is the overal smoothness and fluidity. Colors become more vivid and saturated. Everything starts sounding more analog and more ... real. It is like going from SD resolution to 1080p HD. This is this kind of a difference that you hear within the first 10s on a recording your are familair with. No back and forth changes neccessary to find out the differencies. And once you hear it, there is simply no going back !

This is absolutely amazing piece of gear that I recommend everyone to try.

And for the record:

I have tried the Jcat battery PSU on the Samsung 850 Pro SSD in my C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline server. The only modification I did to Chris recipe was the inclusion of Jcat USB card instead of the SOtM one + a lower TDP, Xeon 1230L v3 CPU.

I did not try this on my C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon, as it uses the mSATA SSD (that would require installing a regular SSD drive).

Jcat comes with all necessary hardware, so all I had to do was to substitute SATA power cable feeding the SSD for the Jcat supplied SATA power cable. I made the cable exit the computer case via the empty PCIe card opening at the back of my Streacom FC-10 case.

The PSU is made for Jcat by the Japanese company Bakoon. The PSU features analogue automatic charging circuit. This design allows the connected device for continual operation by utilising two embedded batteries - one of the batteries is always powering the SSD (beeing completely off the grid) and the second one is beeing charged. After the first one depletes, batteries are changed. The change between the batteries is fully automatic and works completely in analogue domain (relays). Needless to say, the power delivery is uninterrupted when it happens.

The PSU can be used to power other devices that need +5V DC power - like the Jcat USB card for example. I didn't try that yet, as I only have one PSU and my Jcat card is powered by excellent Teddy Pardo LPSU anyway.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
OK, it is not a new idea. I have been reading about this on various forums for almost two years, but never decided to try this approach myself.

For one, I see no reason why separetely powering an SSD (a few chips in a box) could make any meaningful difference in SQ, when there is MoBo with literaly dosens, if not hundreds of chips sitting next to it, that still get the regular MoBo power. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Secondly, all the solutions that people tried were a DIY ones, that required homebrewing various cables, not to mention the need to periodicly recharge the batteries. All too much for me.

About two months ago I have learned that Jcat introduced their own, plug & play solution - a complete product that comes with all neccessary cables and autocharging battery, that anyone could install within seconds. It also looked like sth that I could finally place next to my hifi rig ...

Unfortunately, I have learned about this too late, and when I finally did - the whole batch was sold out :( I had to wait till mid January to get one and ... it proved to be a true revelation.

The Jcat battery PSU powering the SSD gave me one of the biggest SQ improvement in my 5 years long computer audio adventure. It by far exceeds improvement brought by various software, like Windows Server 2012 or Audiophile Optimizer or different USB cables. In my case, the magnitude of changes is eaqual to going full linear PSU from the swichers (both on the MoBo and the USB card).

The battery power gives you - for a lack of better word - less noise. Noise, that you were not even aware was there, until it was gone. The resolution increases greatly, as is the overal smoothness and fluidity. Colors become more vivid and saturated. Everything starts sounding more analog and more ... real. It is like going from SD resolution to 1080p HD. This is this kind of a difference that you hear within the first 10s on a recording your are familair with. No back and forth changes neccessary to find out the differencies. And once you hear it, there is simply no going back !

This is absolutely amazing piece of gear that I recommend everyone to try.

And for the record:

I have tried the Jcat battery PSU on the Samsung 850 Pro SSD in my C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline server. The only modification I did to Chris recipe was the inclusion of Jcat USB card instead of the SOtM one + a lower TDP, Xeon 1230L v3 CPU.

I did not try this on my C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon, as it uses the mSATA SSD (that would require installing a regular SSD drive).

Jcat comes with all necessary hardware, so all I had to do was to substitute SATA power cable feeding the SSD for the Jcat supplied SATA power cable. I made the cable exit the computer case via the empty PCIe card opening at the back of my Streacom FC-10 case.

The PSU is made for Jcat by the Japanese company Bakoon. The PSU features analogue automatic charging circuit. This design allows the connected device for continual operation by utilising two embedded batteries - one of the batteries is always powering the SSD (beeing completely off the grid) and the second one is beeing charged. After the first one depletes, batteries are changed. The change between the batteries is fully automatic and works completely in analogue domain (relays). Needless to say, the power delivery is uninterrupted when it happens.

The PSU can be used to power other devices that need +5V DC power - like the Jcat USB card for example. I didn't try that yet, as I only have one PSU and my Jcat card is powered by excellent Teddy Pardo LPSU anyway.

Is the SSD storing you music files, your operating system or both?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Just the Windows Server 2012 OS. All of my music sits on a Synology 214play NAS.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
From what I read (as I never had a battery PSU for my CAPS - I went linear with Teddy Pardo PSUs) you get the same effect whatever supply you use.

It seems the SSD is outputting a lot of noise via its powerline and separating this power makes all the difference.

For this reason, many hardcore computer audiophiles get rid of SSDs in favour of various flash card readers, which generate less noise.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
From what I read (as I never had a battery PSU for my CAPS - I went linear with Teddy Pardo PSUs) you get the same effect whatever supply you use.

It seems the SSD is outputting a lot of noise via its powerline and separating this power makes all the difference.

For this reason, many hardcore computer audiophiles get rid of SSDs in favour of various flash card readers, which generate less noise.

You must have a defective SSD to be putting out a lot of noise. If that was the case you would have data corruption.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You must have a defective SSD to be putting out a lot of noise. If that was the case you would have data corruption.
Digital systems have very high noise immunity. No so when you try to use them for analog output. So you can get noise but no data corruption.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Digital systems have very high noise immunity. No so when you try to use them for analog output. So you can get noise but no data corruption.

I use my server as a digital output via USB.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Doesn't matter. It is still connected to the DAC. It is that DAC that's gets affected.
It's not connected to a DAC. It's connected to a USB to ST Glass Fiber converter (Bel Canto REFLink) which makes the final signal output to the DAC immune to RF (Noise).

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I use my server as a digital output via USB.
It doesn't matter. Noise can still telegraph to the DAC through any electrical connection. Here is a real measurement of a $400 DAC:

Now this is the same DAC but with different media player driving it:

The difference is the large number of disk reads the latter performs. If you let it settle, the noise and jitter go away. Again, this is through an external DAC connected using USB adapter. The noise is getting through the USB connection due to lack of electrical isolation.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's not connected to a DAC. It's connected to a USB to ST Glass Fiber converter (Bel Canto REFLink) which makes the final signal output to the DAC immune to RF (Noise).
Your statement was generic about noise not being a factor though and hence my correction.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I'm gonna buy the Regen and check out their claims.

The USB transmission for audio is still at the very beging of the curve of development (unlike SPDIF, we have been using for almost 30 years).

I'm not a tweak kind of guy - I do not have Entrec Grounding boxes, still points, Harminix tuning dots, Synergistic dots or any similar crazy tweaks people use (with all due respect to people that do) - and I'm not easily convinced.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I started a new thread because I didn't wish to derail this one. Obviously, this one is slightly more popular. :). Good luck with it.

The USB transmission for audio is still at the very beging of the curve of development (unlike SPDIF, we have been using for almost 30 years).

I'm not a tweak kind of guy - I do not have Entrec Grounding boxes, still points, Harminix tuning dots, Synergistic dots or any similar crazy tweaks people use (with all due respect to people that do) - and I'm not easily convinced.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Out of curiosity, I have just tried powering the SSD from Jcat battery PSU on my CAPS v3 Lagoon, running on two Teddy Pardo linear ultra low noise PSUs. I had to replace the mSATA SSD I was using on CAPS v3 with a regular SSD to try that. Happily, parts for the second CAPS v4 arrived, so I had one spare Samsung 850 Pro SSD to play with.

The effect was not nearly as dramatic as on the CAPS v4 Pipeline running on ATX switcher, but still worthwile. Again - more vibrant colors, more resolution and 'air'.

I can recommend this upgrade to anyone serious about computer audio. You will be glad you did.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Tons of us waiting on the Regen!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing