Audiophile Fuses

Republicoftexas69

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
Wil asked, “Assuming there is in fact a correct direction, how does one know what direction that is in your typical fuse holder?

Are you referring to the fuse holder or the fuse in the fuse holder?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
So here’s a question for y’all, why does directionality for fuses make such a big difference in the sound? After all it’s such a tiny wire in both length and diameter. Is it because the wire diameter is so small that when it’s pulled through the final die the deformation of the metal crystal structure goes all the way through the wire, whereas for larger gauge wire the deformation occurs mostly on the surface and just below it? Thus, more moving electrons are affected, whereas for larger gauge wire only electrons traveling near the surface would be affected.

This is how I think of it from a non technical standpoint: If one thinks of the fuse as a mini power cord (with an extra feature), that is, as both an extension of the cord feeding the component and the entrance point to the component’s power supply, then it ultimately determines the quality of what gets through. From this standpoint, aftermarket fuses are more or less, depending on their make up (“quality” and voicing), telling us about what our power cords have to offer — and what we’ve been missing with OEM fuses due to a faulty assumption about their role.

Wil asked, “Assuming there is in fact a correct direction, how does one know what direction that is in your typical fuse holder?

Are you referring to the fuse holder or the fuse in the fuse holder?

As I mentioned a few posts back, the direction of electricity in the fuse holder is I believe set by industry standard as back to front (screw-in) and left to right (tray). Knowing that, I’m missing the distinction you’re asking Wil about.

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
The electrons flow (wiggle) at slow speed back and forth in the fuse wire so it doesn’t matter which wire + or - the fuse/fuse holder is attached to. It can be either plus or minus. There is no standard. Also, fuses in speakers are not like power cords. Fuses can be at the point AC power comes into the component or *anywhere in the signal path* I.e., non-AC power, non-60 Hz, where electrons alternate at the instantaneous audio frequency, as opposed to 60 Hz.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The electrons flow (wiggle) at slow speed back and forth in the fuse wire so it doesn’t matter which wire + or - the fuse/fuse holder is attached to. It can be either plus or minus. There is no standard. Also, fuses in speakers are not like power cords. Fuses can be at the point AC power comes into the component or *anywhere in the signal path* I.e., non-AC power, non-60 Hz, where electrons alternate at the instantaneous audio frequency, as opposed to 60 Hz.

Have you ever seen an external audio fuse holder that wasn’t back to front or left to right (from the back)? I’ve asked different audio companies several times and always gotten the same answer. Since the fuse holders being used are OEM looking, I’ve assumed it was an industry standard.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Fuse direction depends on the manufacturing process and materials used, which perhaps depends on how much the developer wants to put into it.

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
If the wire is pulled through a die, it’s directional. All (metal) wire is directional, and all fuses are directional, regardless of whether the manufacturer believes in directionality or not. And even if he does believe in directionality but doesn’t control his fuses for directionality like, say, Isoclean, their fuses are still directional. Ditto cable manufacturers.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, good evening to you.

Once again, this thread has veered off from audiophile fuses.....into a different topic. If anyone would like to debate the directionality of fuses further? Please open up another thread.

The folks that come here to learn about fuses keep getting distracted on differing topics, other that what their experiences were with different fuses. It is understood that directionality is part of the equation, but veering off topic like this is a completely different subject.

Tom

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
I submit directionality is at the very heart of fuse discussions. Actually looking back, the 3rd comment on this fuse thread raised the subject of fuse directionality. The subject of directionality also is important generally, for how electricity works in audio systems.

In comment 3 of this thread Steve Williams, site owner and founder, administrator wrote,

“I for one am the "Ultimate Tweak" but I have to ask you how a fuse can reduce distortion and grunge as well as tightening up the imaging

I also have to ask about directionality. I cannot imagine how the fuse is directional and if used in the wrong direction can harm your equipment. This makes absolutely no sense to my simple mind

any electrical engineers out there that can help.”

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
With all due respect, you do not see all of what we see. There have been constant requests by members who subscribe to this thread (publicly and privately) who want to learn about shared observations about audiophile fuses, along with a plethora of reports that reveal members violating the TOS of this forum because they are talking about the poster and not the subject at hand.

All that is being requested here is that if you want to have a heated debate about the directionality of fuses? Make a dedicated thread about it, if you are that passionate about discussing that particular topic.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Gentlemen, please. This is not up for debate. Posts have been deleted and this thread will be closed for a period of time.

When it reopens, the subject matter will remain on topic or it will be closed for good.

A very simple request was made and as mentioned before, if you are passionate about the directionality of fuses? Make another thread about it. It's as simple as that. Enough with the bickering and off topic posts on this thread.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
This thread will reopen now. Please be forewarned that if ANY discussion of directionality happens? All posts will be deleted, so please do not waste your time in trying to respond.

The topic is audiophile fuses and what they can and can not do to your system.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, and for those who have waited patiently? We do appreciate your cooperation and patience. We also offer our sincere apologies for your inconvenience.

Carry on with the discussion, please.

Tom

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
This thread will reopen now. Please be forewarned that if ANY discussion of directionality happens? All posts will be deleted, so please do not waste your time in trying to respond.

The topic is audiophile fuses and what they can and can not do to your system.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, and for those who have waited patiently? We do appreciate your cooperation and patience. We also offer our sincere apologies for your inconvenience.

Carry on with the discussion, please.

Tom
I have responded to the newer opened https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/fuse-and-cable-directionality.38544/ post With the personal and very extended friends experiences on directionality, go there or else "Tom" will dump this 77 page discussion.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you for doing what was asked weeks ago. Such an easy task, yet so hard...

The subscribers to this thread who would like to learn about shared experiences on audiophile fuses can now read about what they have actually subscribed too. I will thank you for them in advance.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing