Aries Cerat Ianus Essentia Owners thread

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Congrats Wil, I bet the Ageto Is absolutely fantastic! I just received my Impera Ref and I’m also really happy with the sound, although just trying to work out which tube combo I like the best with my Essentia amps.

Are you using the AC-link connection?
I am not using AC link. Maybe down the road but at this early stage I do not know what the added benefits would be. Do you use it?

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
I would appreciate if somebody with direct knowledge could explain me some things about Essentia:
(1) in my understanding you can use in the amps several types of tubes: E280f, E180, E810, D3a. These tubes have different amplification, as far as I know D3a has the highest. Does this have any influence on gain of the amp, i.e. if with D3a gain is higher?
(2) you can mix and match those tubes in any combination and and any position in the amp?
(3) are the target/optimal currents T1 and T2 different for each tube type?

many thanks.

Reactions: Willgolf

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I am not using AC link. Maybe down the road but at this early stage I do not know what the added benefits would be. Do you use it?
I haven’t tried with the Impera yet as I’m still waiting on the cables to arrive, but when I tried with the Incito S pre amp, the difference was fairly obvious to my ears. I’ll share more when I get the cables

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I've discovered that the Dual E280F in the Quintessence produces the most balanced sound in terms of dynamics, transparency, and tonal density. It conveys the music with a deep emotional resonance and avoids sounding thin. The details are present without feeling forced or overly pronounced.

When using the Dual 280F, it's generally best to mix tube manufacturers, as using the same manufacturer as Dual sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's a trial-and-error process at this point and not very predictable.

As for the 6J11P, they are cost-effective and offer excellent sound quality. They produce a more linear sound, clean bass, and a slightly less thick tonality in the midrange. I personally love this pairing and often rotate between them.

Regarding the E282F, I've found that using a single tube in each amplifier works best for me; duals don't seem to work as effectively. It takes some time to bias this tube to find its sweet spot, but the effort is definitely worthwhile.

I haven't tried the E180F or the E810F yet (I plan to do so later). For now, I've found my sweet spot that works best for my ears and don't feel the need to experiment further at the moment.

Reactions: Tbzc and Willgolf

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
When using the Dual 280F, it's generally best to mix tube manufacturers, as using the same manufacturer as Dual sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's a trial-and-error process at this point and not very predictable.

Which manufacturer's tubes did you like the best?

an.vamv

Mar 18, 2014
I've discovered that the Dual E280F in the Quintessence produces the most balanced sound in terms of dynamics, transparency, and tonal density. It conveys the music with a deep emotional resonance and avoids sounding thin. The details are present without feeling forced or overly pronounced.

As for the 6J11P, they are cost-effective and offer excellent sound quality. They produce a more linear sound, clean bass, and a slightly less thick tonality in the midrange. I personally love this pairing and often rotate between them.

Regarding the E282F, I've found that using a single tube in each amplifier works best for me; duals don't seem to work as effectively. It takes some time to bias this tube to find its sweet spot, but the effort is definitely worthwhile.

I haven't tried the E180F or the E810F yet (I plan to do so later). For now, I've found my sweet spot that works best for my ears and don't feel the need to experiment further at the moment.
I concur with your findings. My preference with Quintessence is dual E280Fs and dual 6J11P-Es. Single E810F is also nice.All combinations are nice by the way. My only remark with the 6J11Ps would be the large variations in bias as the grid voltage changes during the day and night.

Last edited:

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I concur with your findings. My preference with Quint. is dual E280Fs and dual 6J11P-Es. Single E810F is also nice.All combinations are nice by the way. My only remark with the 6J11Ps would be the large variations in bias as the grid voltage changes during the day and night.
Agree on the dual 6J11P’s - I’m running mine between 20-25 bias on the Essentia’s which seems to work well. Which brand of E280F have you enjoyed the most? Haven’t tried this combo yet…

an.vamv

Mar 18, 2014
Agree on the dual 6J11P’s - I’m running mine between 20-25 bias on the Essentia’s which seems to work well. Which brand of E280F have you enjoyed the most? Haven’t tried this combo yet…
I have only tried dual Valvo ?280F so far .

Reactions: Levitator

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have only tried dual Valvo ?280F so far .
For my part I have found the Valvo E280F to be seductively harmonically textured in the upper base and mids , very fine with Bach Cello Suites, BWV 1007–1012 or Frances Albert … conversely imho Siemens ruggedised E280F pull away where Chamber Ensemble , Girl n Guitar or say a Sibelius Violin Concerto are concerned ymmv etc .

Last edited:
Reactions: Levitator

Mr. Analog

Dec 15, 2021
The last time I checked, the Valvo came from the Siemens factory. The difference can then only relate to the year of production and the margin. But perhaps I am wrong in my assumptions.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
The last time I checked, the Valvo came from the Siemens factory. The difference can then only relate to the year of production and the margin. But perhaps I am wrong in my assumptions.
Correct, well, 99% correct.
As far as i know two factories made these, Phillips and Siemens.Valvo seem to be made by the Phillips ,judging from codes and internals but could also be from Siemens(example i have found Mullard made by both factories.)

As far as SQ, according to our internal rating system you can find a stellar Siemens as well as normal ones, Valvo are all over ,and Mullard as well. All having correlation to on codes etc.

Best
Stavros

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
I would appreciate if somebody with direct knowledge could explain me some things about Essentia:
(1) in my understanding you can use in the amps several types of tubes: E280f, E180, E810, D3a. These tubes have different amplification, as far as I know D3a has the highest. Does this have any influence on gain of the amp, i.e. if with D3a gain is higher?
(2) you can mix and match those tubes in any combination and and any position in the amp?
(3) are the target/optimal currents T1 and T2 different for each tube type?

many thanks.
Hello

1.Yes the gain will change accordingly, depending on the tubes used. The final transfer curve of the amp is a combination of the transfer curves of the two tubes.
Example, using dual D3A would not present same gain as a combo of E282F and D3A(in reality the gain will be much closer to E282F )
2.Yes sockets are interchangable
3.The T2 is independent of the pair used, that is your preference of the T2 would probably remain the same.
The T1 optimal value will depend on the pair used,type, and if single or paired.

Cheers
Stavros

Reactions: Willgolf and Tbzc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing