Are all optical cables created equal?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I have been playing with optical glass between my server and my MUTEC MC3+/REF10 reclocker. I haven't tried any in the higher dollar range. Do different designs and constructions matter? Are the SP/DIF AES/EBU digital cables better?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
They are not by a mile
It’s complex too. Good glass beats all. But there are variants too. Single or multiple and how they get terminated too.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have my primary audio pathway, and I have a lesser audio input from my TV. I use the Nvidia Shield Pro with USB out with the signal downsampled from surround to full range stereo. The downsampling to full range stereo option is starting to be lost on new products and definitely some apps; they do not pass the the subwoofer channel or the LFE (low frequency extension channel). The result is stereo output cutting off at about 80hz (also probably not the best downmixing algorithms)! I guess they've decided anyone using stereo has a very limited cheap system. For me any dollar spent on surround is money I could be spending on glorious STEREO :)

So I am ditching my USB path (USB out of Shield > Kitsune Tuned Singxer SU02 USB to i2S converter > Holo May Dac) and am using a HDMI Audio extractor (which will downsample up to Dolby Atmos surround into full range stereo and even allow some bass control etc.) with toslink out to my May dac. I have started with a cheap extractor, have a pro one on order, and cheap found toslink cable. Already I like the sound better than the USB/i2S output, it never sounded right, kind of wooly and muddy. I think that is more about the software/drivers of the Shield than about the interface.

I will be getting a few toslink cables to try here. In the past, I have heard differences between cheap ones and purpose built ones. It will be interesting what a difference will show up with the May, as it has heavy engineering chops to reduce the type of jitter that has been endemic in toslink interfaces.

I am getting a Supra Zac Toslink which is supposed to be good. But in audiophile circles the Lifatec cable is usually recommended as the best sounding one. Also the Wireworld SuperNova 7 is mentioned a lot. I'll post here as I try stuff. Did you find anything?

Wireworld SuperNova 7

Supra ZAC

Lifatec

Reactions: P2C4S

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Optical cables are DIRECTIONAL.

Every single Toslink and ST optical cables that I've tried have exhibited very audible sonic differences when both directionality were compared.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Always clean the tips of your optical cables with alcohol!

but select the right alcohol swaps with care - they should not be the type that is too wet, and leave residue that takes longer time to dissipate.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Some optic gel might need to be used to ensure the optical cables interface optimally at the transmit and receiving receptacles.

But they are a pain in the butt to apply - too much or not enough => can mean vastly variances in sound.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Eons ago when I had an Audio Synthesis Transcend / Dax Discrete combo, they used a bespoke dual ST glass interface. Besides generic and industrial cables, Aural Symphonics were the only audiophile option. I couldn’t get comfortable with the cost but did try their io-gel contact enhancer and found it to be effective.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing