Analogue Production / Tape Project tape playback

preilauskas

Oct 7, 2021
Hi,
I am new and proud owner of a refurbished Revox B77 (15ips / 2 track).
Right now I have a few test tapes, which were recorded by the seller, so I just have to listen to something, but I feel the need and want to check The real Deal - 15ips master tapes.
My Revox is calibrated to RTM SM911 tape. Since I'm new, I really don't understand if calibration to specific tape matters only for recording or also for playback. That means, if, let'say, I buy 15ips tape from Tape Project or Analogue Productions - will it play correctly, or I need to know the specific tape model in which you recorded and I need to recalibrate my machine?
Thanks in advance, and please don't judge me - I'm new to Reel to Reel:)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Tape calibration is for recording, not playback. You do need to have the proper equalization for playback. In the case of Tape Project and Analogue Productions (and just about all of the newer 15ips 2 track commercial tapes) the EQ is IEC (also known as CCIR). If you are playing older 7.5ips commercial tapes, those are almost always NAB EQ. I don't own any Revox or Studer machines, so I don't know whether the various versions have switchable EQ.

Larry

Reactions: Amir

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The EQ type of the particular machine is printed on the white label next to the power connector. As Larry said, most present day vendors use the IEC, but some still will do NAB, and some - specifically, UltraAnalogue - actually prefer it.

So first find out what your deck is, and then order accordingly, as there is no switch on B77.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
There are some after market boards for the B77/PR99 that offer switchable EQ for record and playback.
I hope posting the web site is okay?

Reactions: Steve Williams

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Tape calibration is for recording, not playback. You do need to have the proper equalization for playback.

I totally disagree with this statement. When I receive a new tape, Yes... EQ..... AND speed, levels and azimuth, according to the tones. It makes a world of difference... you go from good sounding tape to Euphoria.....

Don't let anyone tell you different.....

Reactions: c1ferrari and Lee

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
I totally disagree with this statement. When I receive a new tape, Yes... EQ..... AND speed, levels and azimuth, according to the tones. It makes a world of difference... you go from good sounding tape to Euphoria.....

Bruce, normal tape listeners won't take the trouble (if they even know how) to adjust Azimuth for each tape though it is ideal. I only do that for a tape I'm producing. But listening for pleasure I don't go through that much just to enjoy. You're right it makes a difference sometimes but most including myself won't go that far in throwing a tape on the deck. And I have found many of the tones on tapes not accurate or matching my decks as to volume. Might just be me. Hope this helps.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, normal tape listeners won't take the trouble (if they even know how) to adjust Azimuth for each tape though it is ideal. And I have found many of the tones on tapes not accurate or matching my decks as to volume. Might just be me. Hope this helps.

I want the best playback and not cut corners...

The tones are for the tape you're playing... not the deck!

Reactions: c1ferrari

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Bruce, thanks. However in my experience, the vast majority of prerecorded commercial tapes don't have test tones. A few have 1Khz tones.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Bruce, when you have some free time (ha ha), it would be great if you could make a video of how to calibrate azimuth using test tones.

Reactions: Bruce B

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bruce, thanks. However in my experience, the vast majority of prerecorded commercial tapes don't have test tones. A few have 1Khz tones.

If you use an oscilloscope to see both channels output phase a 1KHz tone is good enough to align the azimuth.

Reactions: Bruce B

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing