Amplifier comparisons in Atlanta area

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi everyone!

I have done comparisons of a lot of sources before but rarely see a large amount of amplifiers compared. Is this mainly due to warm up time? I've gone through several amplifiers in my own system but there are so many more to try. Specifically, I'd love to compare some Pass Labs, Lamm, or DartZeel to my equipment. The two amplifiers that I have found to gravitate to so far are the Phison A2.120 and the VAC Renaissance amplifiers.

On hand I have a VAC 70/70 Mk III and a Phison A2.120. If anyone is in the Atlanta area and has some stuff that they want to compare I think that'd be really fun.

Also looking to measure and treat my room. Any experts in that department are more than invited. I can cook some outstanding things on the Kamado Joe and always have craft beer and wine in the house. If that sounds like a bribe, it is. =)

Best regards,
Stephen

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi everyone!

I have done comparisons of a lot of sources before but rarely see a large amount of amplifiers compared. Is this mainly due to warm up time? I've gone through several amplifiers in my own system but there are so many more to try. Specifically, I'd love to compare some Pass Labs, Lamm, or DartZeel to my equipment. The two amplifiers that I have found to gravitate to so far are the Phison A2.120 and the VAC Renaissance amplifiers.

On hand I have a VAC 70/70 Mk III and a Phison A2.120. If anyone is in the Atlanta area and has some stuff that they want to compare I think that'd be really fun.

Also looking to measure and treat my room. Any experts in that department are more than invited. I can cook some outstanding things on the Kamado Joe and always have craft beer and wine in the house. If that sounds like a bribe, it is. =)

Best regards,
Stephen

Good luck. I've always wanted to do it (here in LA) but amps are heavy.....

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Amps are heavy! That being said, at least I don't need to go to the gym on the days I move stereo equipment around! I eventually want to do A/B tests of pretty much all components. I did a DAC shootout but this will be really fun if it gets off the ground. I'd be more than willing to go somewhere else with equipment that I own if the weight is an issue for people!

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I got the chance to do some casual comparisons today at Randy's house against some Bryston 28B3 monoblocks powering a set of Theil CS6 speakers. The sound of the system was really quite nice and it was a learning experience! Comparing amplifiers can be a little difficult because I found with both the Bryston amplifiers and the Phison amplifier there was definitely a warm up period. I also am the least patient person alive. That being said here are some of my observations. First, the Bryston amplifiers look to be built like tanks, had outstanding very dynamic lows, and seemed to have a soundstage that was a little forward (Not a bad thing). The Phison amp seemed to give a slightly wider and deeper soundstage. The lows, mids, and highs were all clear and clean. I think the Phison matched pretty well with the CS6 speakers but I think would benefit from monoblocking.. I plan to get another Phison A2.120 amp and am curious to see the sound.

I could easily live quite happily with either of these setups and am very gracious of Randy's hospitality.

-Stephen

ngamountains

Apr 24, 2018
As Stephen said, this was a rather informal "comparison", where rather than level-matching, etc. we simply switched back and forth between his Phison and my Bryston equipment while listening to a variety of source material. This was my first exposure to Phison, and I was very impressed with how engaging and musical it was. The amp drove my Thiels strongly given its much lower power rating than my Brystons, and the DAC/linestage was just a wonderful sounding piece of equipment that appeared to be very well built; I was sad to see it go! I think we both got exposed to some new music and just had a good time hanging out and listening to new equipment. Thanks to Stephen for making the drive to the other side of metro Atlanta, and here's hoping we get the chance to do it again sometime.

Randy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing