Amarra 2.5 Impressions

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've been enjoying Amarra for a few weeks now and now prefer it to Pure and Decibel on my Mac Mini server.

Playback System: I'm running AQ Diamond USB into V-Link 192 into a Stereolab UltraXV cable into a Benchmark DAC1 Pre into the Ref 3.

Playback Files: Various AIFF rips from my vast CD collection, hirez files from 24/88 to 24/192, and my own classical recordings at 24/176. Everything from DCC Nat King Coles to Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live to needledrops of the new Graceland LP.

Very clear and open sounding. Great soundstaging on great files like the new Alison Krauss/Union Station or the Duke Ellington Big Band. Really gets the bass right on Keith Don't Go (I know it's an audiophile cliche but I really like the music and it has been a long term test track).

Ease of use is excellent. No clicks or other digital issues with this software on OSX 10.6.8. Nice integration with latest version of iTunes. I'm loading the songs into memory for playback.

Compared to Decibel, I am hearing more resolution. Compared to Pure, it is very close but Pure might be slightly more forward. Amarra seems a little smoother on my system.

Highly recommended for Mac folks on the forum! :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've been enjoying Amarra for a few weeks now and now prefer it to Pure and Decibel on my Mac Mini server.

Playback System: I'm running AQ Diamond USB into V-Link 192 into a Stereolab UltraXV cable into a Benchmark DAC1 Pre into the Ref 3.

Playback Files: Various AIFF rips from my vast CD collection, hirez files from 24/88 to 24/192, and my own classical recordings at 24/176. Everything from DCC Nat King Coles to Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live to needledrops of the new Graceland LP.

Very clear and open sounding. Great soundstaging on great files like the new Alison Krauss/Union Station or the Duke Ellington Big Band. Really gets the bass right on Keith Don't Go (I know it's an audiophile cliche but I really like the music and it has been a long term test track).

Ease of use is excellent. No clicks or other digital issues with this software on OSX 10.6.8. Nice integration with latest version of iTunes. I'm loading the songs into memory for playback.

Compared to Decibel, I am hearing more resolution. Compared to Pure, it is very close but Pure might be slightly more forward. Amarra seems a little smoother on my system.

Highly recommended for Mac folks on the forum! :)

Thanks Lee!

Have you compared it to Audirvana? Are you using iTunes integration?

I've been impressed with Amarra in the past. I guess they caused a **** storm when the played around
with their pricing structure.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yes, using iTunes integration. Playing around with Audirvana but no conclusions yet. So far I think Amarra sounds better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A lot of folks agree with your findings. Keep us updated!

Will do Andre. Hope to get a new DAC soon but I'm getting really great sound. Adding the Ref 3 was a game changer.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Will do Andre. Hope to get a new DAC soon but I'm getting really great sound. Adding the Ref 3 was a game changer.

What DACs are you considering?

Funny you mention it, a I really believe the Benchmark would be the weak link. Plus a new DAC would eliminate the need
for the V-Link and and additional USB cable.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I also felt that Amarra 2.5 was an evolutionary step forward for them. It sounds very good and uses less CPU power than the older versions that had an active display meter. I've compared it to Audirvana ( but not the newest "plus" iteration ), PureMusic, iTunes, and Play. Personally, I don't link it with iTunes. I set up my external drive with folders, etc. that organize my music well enough for my use. I'm using a mach2Music Mac Mini via USB into a Calyx DAC 24/192, with Purist Audio balanced i/c to my Krell S1200-3D processor in preamp "bypass" mode. I use FireWire to access the external 2TB hard drive.

Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
What DACs are you considering?

Funny you mention it, a I really believe the Benchmark would be the weak link. Plus a new DAC would eliminate the need
for the V-Link and and additional USB cable.

Benchmark DAC2 which I heard for nearly six hours at RMAF, Mytek, BMC.

I don't like the Musical Fidelity DACs so far and I have concerns about an Oppo 105.

Any suggestions?

P.S. The DAC1 Pre sounds really great in my system.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Benchmark DAC2 which I heard for nearly six hours at RMAF, Mytek, BMC.

I don't like the Musical Fidelity DACs so far and I have concerns about an Oppo 105.

Any suggestions?

P.S. The DAC1 Pre sounds really great in my system.

I can only give you my personal preferences, and limiting to things I have actually heard.
Personally I would opt for a Bryston BDA-2, which features a 192 Khz Async USB input.

Additionally, the PS Audio NuWave DAC, the NAD M51, and the M2Tech Young/Palmer combo.

Some of the pricier options that I really like are the Weiss 202, Empircal Audio, MSB Analog, and of course the ARC DAC 7/8

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I can only give you my personal preferences, and limiting to things I have actually heard.
Personally I would opt for a Bryston BDA-2, which features a 192 Khz Async USB input.

Additionally, the PS Audio NuWave DAC, the NAD M51, and the M2Tech Young/Palmer combo.

Some of the pricier options that I really like are the Weiss 202, Empircal Audio, MSB Analog, and of course the ARC DAC 7/8

Thanks for the suggestions Andre.

I like the NAD. I don't like the Weiss gear and I've heard most of it. Don't like Wyred 4 Sound either. Love the MSB Analog and DAC 8 from ARC but above my budget. I like the Bryston DAC but have not heard the latest version.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks for the suggestions Andre.

I like the NAD. I don't like the Weiss gear and I've heard most of it. Don't like Wyred 4 Sound either. Love the MSB Analog and DAC 8 from ARC but above my budget.

The NAD is very cool.

The reason the Bryston is my #1 choice is beside sounding superb to my ears, it has every feature that
I require: Sample rate indicator, optional upsampling (synchronous), every type of input..Toskink, coax, AES/EBU, USB, BNC,etc,
great build, and a 5 year warranty, and firmware upgrades.

If that sounds good to you, definitely arrange an in home audition if you can. I think it would work great with your Ref 3.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The NAD is very cool.

The reason the Bryston is my #1 choice is beside sounding superb to my ears, it has every feature that
I require: Sample rate indicator, optional upsampling (synchronous), every type of input..Toskink, coax, AES/EBU, USB, BNC,etc,
great build, and a 5 year warranty, and firmware upgrades.

If that sounds good to you, definitely arrange an in home audition if you can. I think it would work great with your Ref 3.

I definitely will.

Lee - If you have licensed the full Amarra, then you can run any version you can get your hands on.

I have been using and auditioning Amarra from its beginnings. I used to use 1.2 and then there were a lot of versions that I didn't like. Then version 4318/19 came out just before the RMAF one year and I used it there. I still have yet to hear a better version than this one, although is it a bit buggy with 176.4 and 192 file playback. Memory leaks. It is still my reference and allows me to get best of shows at various shows.

I recommend that you go to the Extras folder and run the "clear or reset preferences"first and then install this version and try it. You will need your password for Amarra (it changes each time) and for your Mac. You can have both versions installed at the same time, but only run one at a time:

http://www.sonicstudio.com/releases/Amarra_233_Release_4319.zip

I think you will like this even better, but if not, let me know.

Thanks,
Steve N.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Sonic released Amarra 2.5.1 today and it sounds superb. Highly recommended.

Sonic released Amarra 2.5.1 today and it sounds superb. Highly recommended.

Agreed. Jon finally got it right. It is almost identical to my reference version.

I managed in the first half hour to send it out to lunch though. The problem seems to be Amarra getting out of sync with the state of iTunes. I actually had them both stopped and yet the music was still playing:confused:

Steve N.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Agreed. Jon finally got it right. It is almost identical to my reference version.

I managed in the first half hour to send it out to lunch though. The problem seems to be Amarra getting out of sync with the state of iTunes. I actually had them both stopped and yet the music was still playing:confused:

Steve N.

It seems to sound best with just a playlist.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Set up your playlist, stop iTunes, then close the playlist window. I went through all of this when having problems with earlier versions of Amarra. Extra windows & features use more CPU power. If you get near the limit, sound degradation is the result.

Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks Lee. That seems to match my experience as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing