Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond, Tom Waits and Darlene Love to be inducted into R&R HoF

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11997784

But I especially resonated with this bit:

Cooper, whose hits with his band include School's Out and Poison, said that before they came onto the scene in the late 1970s "there was no spectacle in rock 'n' roll".

"I think what we did was we kind of brought theatre to rock 'n' roll," he added.
We used to see Alice every time he came to the Hollywood Bowl. In a typical show introduction, local car dealer Cal Worthington rode an elephant onto the stage. General mayhem during the shows included Cooper being hanged or guillotined and, for the School's Out tour, a helicopter flew overhead, dropping thousands of womens paper panties (like those found in the LP) on the astonished audience.

Ah, the good old days.....I almost remember them.:p

I remember his commercials well when I lived there. I am amazed he is still around. How old is he now?

Shoot, maybe the elephant was "Spot". Cal just turned 90!

Calvin Coolidge "Cal" Worthington (born November 27, 1920 in Shidler, Oklahoma) is a well-known car dealer throughout the West Coast of the United States. He is best known for his unique radio and television advertisements for the Worthington Dealership Group. He was usually joined by "his dog Spot", except that "Spot" was never a dog. Often, Spot was either a tiger, a seal, an elephant or a bear. Spot was officially retired in the mid 1980s, however he is mentioned in some commercials today.

According to a profile in the Sacramento Bee published in 1990, Worthington grossed $316.8 million in 1988, at the time making him the largest single owner of a car dealership chain. He has sold automobiles since 1945 and owns a 24,000 acre (100 km²) ranch located in Orland, California, north of Sacramento, California. His advertising agency, named Spot Advertising, had Worthington as the only client, and spent $15 million on commercials, the most of any auto dealer at the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Worthington

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing