Albums (any format) you haven't played in more than a decade!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The vast majority of WBF members have extensive music collections and surely in those collections there are albums which have seen no action at all for years and years. And many times for no legitimate or valid reason. They just seem to have fallen by the wayside. Several months ago, actually about a year ago, I decided to significantly cut down on new purchases and dive back into my own reasonably-sized collection to give those albums some loving. And I'm having a blast!

One of the things I really like about it, besides the obvious one of reconnecting with some great music, is that the sonics don't even come into play (unless it's an obvious dog or a bad pressing or horrible recording). It is simply music for the sake of music. The other wonderful thing is that I'm appreciating songs I didn't care for 10+ years ago. It's almost like listening to new music all over again...I love that!

A few artists I've been enjoying are Chilliwack, Boule Noire, Cano, Seals & Crofts, Leon Redbone, the earlier Doobie Brothers albums, Focus, Ten Years After, several John Mayall albums and quite a few soul artists.

What about you? Have you gone back in time?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think anyone with over 1000 recordings has plenty of recordings they have not listened to in a very long time. People with over 5000 recordings no doubt have MANY recordings they haven't heard in years and also many they have NEVER listened to.

In reality, 1000-2000 recordings is plenty for a lifetime of listening. I, too, have cut back on buying new recordings.

I have about 2500 recordings and fall into the category of having many I have not heard in years and many I have never listened to that are sitting on the shelf waiting to see the light of laser, I mean day.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
John, I have couple thousand albums (LPs) and three "frugal" turntables, but I haven't listened to them for quite a while. ...For various reasons.
My CD music collection is much larger, but the older ones that I purchased back in the 80's and 90s, they just keep collecting dust (Rock and Pop, etc., music badly recorded).
Music is playing constantly @ my domain, but the radio is on often. ...I do play some CDs every week, the ones I truly like (Classical, Jazz & Blues mostly), but not as much as I used too. Some weeks I might play only a handful or two of them, and sometime none.

I need some motivation/inspiration to play them more, and music threads with music selections that I like by the members, that, is a motivation.
And sure, I have my own inspiration; don't need others for that, ...just that my state-of-mind has to be accommodated; like for example...if I listen to the radio and that I don't particularly like what's playing, I switch station (always Classical and Jazz, and some Blues on the weekends), and if another radio station is not having the right approach with my taste, then I get up and spin a CD music recording, and I can keep @ it for hours on hand.

I think that all of us we all have our own music evolution and routine @ different stages of our life; and for many many reasons.
As Gary said; I too believe that people with large music collection (Michael Fremer), simply don't have enough Earth time to replay them all...simply impossible.

...And the same with my extensive movie collection. ...I know a guy with over 25,000 DVD/Blu-ray titles!
And some folks have LP's collection of over 25,000 records as well...Michael Fremer, and few others like him.

Only today counts, in the moment, in the music we play and we listen to. ...Nothing else matter. ...Except for the world outside; with all the people and wildlife and nature in it.

* I'm listening to Jazz right now (spinning a CD), and another one is comin' up.
Once in a while I pick a dozen selections or so, put them on top of my right front speaker (large flat surface), or on my living room's coffee table, and I'm ready with fast access, but not as fast as the people who have hi-res music servers. ...That's the best, I think.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
As others with thousands of vinyl, cd's, SACD's, DVDA's there are certainly many I haven't played in awhile, but there are none I have never played and only one I have played one and a half times.
'Musica Nuda' someone shoot that woman before she records that voice again for posterity's sake. I'm just thinking of the poor archeologist or off-worlder who may listen by mistake. Interestingly enough I liked the cello work but the torture was unbearable. Use in Gitmo is highly recommended!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
bringing back memories ...

A few artists I've been enjoying are Chilliwack, Boule Noire, Cano, Seals & Crofts, Leon Redbone, the earlier Doobie Brothers albums, Focus, Ten Years After, several John Mayall albums and quite a few soul artists.

Chilliwack's Fly At Night came out in 1977, I still have the original LP. 17yrs old, we'd buy albums, go house to house playing em all. It's seen it's fair share of stylus profiles. That said, I can't remember the last time I played it.

Over the last 3 months, I've been mining my collection for originals to archive to digital. It's really a weeping shame, the originals I've destroyed over the years. Some sonically irreplaceable. As an example, I've just recorded ELP's first LP, a superbly recorded, wide bandwidth, very dynamic original. After much careful cleaning, proper SRA, it still plays nearly as good as new for the most part, however, as a silly teen, I must have tried playing it with a shovel ... it's got a few deep slices.

In this case, I just can't bring myself to listen to my compressed LP reissue, so I'll buy a new "audiophile" version if I find one ...

And I'm having a blast!

Have you slept since you got your arm?:D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Chilliwack's Fly At Night came out in 1977, I still have the original LP. 17yrs old, we'd buy albums, go house to house playing em all. It's seen it's fair share of stylus profiles. That said, I can't remember the last time I played it.

Over the last 3 months, I've been mining my collection for originals to archive to digital. It's really a weeping shame, the originals I've destroyed over the years. Some sonically irreplaceable. As an example, I've just recorded ELP's first LP, a superbly recorded, wide bandwidth, very dynamic original. After much careful cleaning, proper SRA, it still plays nearly as good as new for the most part, however, as a silly teen, I must have tried playing it with a shovel ... it's got a few deep slices.

In this case, I just can't bring myself to listen to my compressed LP reissue, so I'll buy a new "audiophile" version if I find one ...

Have you slept since you got your arm?:D

Haha! I wake up, get my fill of coffee and some breakfast...then I'm off downstairs to look and see what I want to play for the day! Today so far I've played:

Nico - the marble index
Climax Blues band - FM Live
John Fogerty - Centerfield
Santana - Amigos
J Geils Band - Love Stinks
Michael Behnan - Night Shift Live.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing