"A Pressing Matter"

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Can you tell me a few tittles of what you consider truly good current vinyl recordings?

"Current" is a bit more difficult, but certainly I like the way the MoFi One Steps of Blood Sweat and Tears and The Nightfly sound.

My favorite LPs in my collection are the MoFI release of Sinatra's Sinatra and the Analogue Production 45 RPM pressing of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I haven't heard any digital version of Mannheim Steamroller Christmas that sounds as good as the original LP pressing.

I also just picked up a 1958 Columbia deep groove six eye copy of Ellington Indigos that at least to me sounds much more satisfying than the CD, even with ticks, pops and surface noise.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Can you tell me a few tittles of what you consider truly good current vinyl recordings?
Here is a few new release albums I have bought recently. All sound excellent. Lots of others.

This sounds amazing

Reactions: microstrip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My confident level is not to the point "truly good". But I could name a few out of my head. 1) Seong-Jin Cho, Mozart Piano Concerto #20, Deutsche Grammophon. 2) John Williams in Vienna, DG. 3) Christian McBride Trio, Live at the Village Vanguard. 4) John Williams with Sophie Mutter other album that is not 2) I dont recall the exact name.

Yes, many modern DG's are excellent, as was pointed before in WBF. However they are digital recordings - except for the rituals and the quality of our vinyl systems, what is the point of getting vinyl when we can get the HiRez files?

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, many modern DG's are excellent, as was pointed before in WBF. However they are digital recordings - except for the rituals and the quality of our vinyl systems, what is the point of getting vinyl when we can get the HiRez files?

DG quality went downhill when they sold off their tube equipment. You can hear the difference easily between the tulips and the later ones. But you never tried, yet posted to create noise

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
DG quality went downhill when they sold off their tube equipment. You can hear the difference easily between the tulips and the later ones. But you never tried, yet posted to create noise

You really love being noisy. We are discussing current vinyl recordings and the vinyl revival, not tulips or roses.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Understand your point. I bought because my system does not have a digital player but those music are interesting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing