Technics SL1000 MKII...Stick Or Twist

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
It seems a while since we have had one of Spirits introspective navel gazing threads ;) therefore I thought that I would step into the breach.

I have been mulling over setting up an analog money pit and I have the option of bringing a complete retail SL1000 MKII set out of mothball, or considering that this example is near mint condition, virtually complete including the retail box, has yet to spin a record in anger, with original and spare Tonearm boards intact and uncut, running bang on all speeds, liquidate the asset and put the funds toward an alternative TT and tonearm.

What say you folks?

LOL!!! I spoke his name and he did appear.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Tricky one Roger. Are you normally more predisposed to DD or belt? I assume you bought this because you were more in the DD camp?

Do you have a phono stage already and a cart and what would be your additional budget?

Cheers

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Tricky one Roger. Are you normally more predisposed to DD or belt? I assume you bought this because you were more in the DD camp?

Do you have a phono stage already and a cart and what would be your additional budget?

Cheers

Evening Bill, if truth be told I am actually more predisposed toward tape:cool:, however that is a whole nother bag of eals. I acquired the SL as a no brainer Fire and forget option, having previously run a Thorens TD124 and an early grease bearing 301.

Your inquiries are most pertinent, as at this time I have neither phono stage or cartridge and therefore those costs form part of my present conundrum.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Evening Bill, if truth be told I am actually more predisposed toward tape:cool:, however that is a whole nother bag of eals. I acquired the SL as a no brainer Fire and forget option, having previously run a Thorens TD124 and an early grease bearing 301.

Your inquiries are most pertinent, as at this time I have neither phono stage or cartridge and therefore those costs form part of my present conundrum.

I totally get the tape thing :)

I think it is key to have a think about your planned funds for the whole lot and then it might be easier to advise. I made a bad mistake in badly underestermating the incredibly important role of phonostage and now believe more than ever this is critical.

I haven't spent any proper time with the sp10 or other very well respected Technics including your deck but no doubt you could achieve exceptional performance with it combined with the right arm/cart/phonostage. Yes the project will be a money pit, but surely worthwhile:)

I see you with a ARC Ref 3, Koetsu Coralstone, and pimp my plinthed sl1000 ;)

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I quite agree Bill, there is little point in hobbling an excellent TT, Cart and Arm with a budget Phono, whereas the converse may still deliver rather well.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hmmmmm, Still wrestling with this one, a further option would be to forget about Vinyl for the near term, Liquidate what I have and put the funds toward a DAC Up to Pacific RRP buy in level instead :confused:

Option Vinyl would involve not insubstantial buy in for an class A level Phono stage plus at least one new high quality stereo cartridge with additional cart should I wish to spin my mostly Jazz and Classical Mono pressings.

Option DAC would require additional hardware funds beyond the cost of the DAC itself In order to feed it.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
how many Lp's do you have in your collection ?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Approx 100 give or take, I pretty much have all the Vinyl titles that I would be interested in spinning, 30% being Mono.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing