Free DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 session tracks (stereo, multichannel and binaural)

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Gang,
I wanted to make you folks aware of a new free set of ultra hirez DSD downloads available. As a volunteer employee for NativeDSD.com I must preface this by saying my views are, of course, biased, but this post is not asking you to buy anything.

Our NativeDSD team of artists and producers are using cutting edge recording techniques to bring you the purest high resolution stereo and multichannel music. Well....what if I told you that they also have even more special "session tapes" and unedited performances that, up till now, are only heard by the production teams and those close to the industry. And often these direct recordings are laid down in even higher resolutions and sample rates than when sold, usually due to the fact that no significant commercial playback was available (i.e DSD128 even 12 months ago, and now DSD256 and multichannel dsd128 and above). These include stereo, multichannel and even some binaural recordings, from DSD64 to DSD256.

We've created a members-only label called JustListen (free to register, free to download), and it is dedicated to presenting unedited ultra high resolution session recordings (just as we receive them, often in raw formats like DFF). Also included are other sample rates, converted professionally (Sonoma, Pyramix, etc) to allow more of you who only have DSD64 or high rez PCM (DXD) dacs to experience these recordings as close to the mic as possible......even compare sample rates! You might find your DAC loving one more than the other. Debate them, compare them with your friends' findings.

Oh...did I mention they are FREE!!! Enjoy! Just listen.....

https://www.nativedsd.com/ (and hit the button under "Introducing Just Listen")

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks, Ted!

I do have a question - I don't understand the different formats. What does 'fs' mean? DXD?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
fs64, fs128, and fs256 are DSD.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I thought DSD only went up to 128. Does fs mean frame-per-second? I've only heard DSD referred to as DSD64, DSD128 so I'm just curious.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought DSD only went up to 128. Does fs mean frame-per-second? I've only heard DSD referred to as DSD64, DSD128 so I'm just curious.

DSD goes up to 256 and DSD and fs are interchangeable. It helps with the digital confusion.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

DSD can go to what ever you want. 128, 256, 512, 1024 and beyond. These are multiples of 44.1

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for edifying me.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
fs is a poor way of showing f with a small s subscript....which means sampling frequency. The number refers to the original frequency (so based on 44.1k or 48k). So 8fs is either 352.8k (aka DXD) or 384k. In the case of DSD, the fs has simply, for convenience sake been replaced by DSD. So DSD64 is "regular" DSD and has a "sampling frequency" 64 times that of redbook. Problem, is DSD is not a sample, so even that nomenclature is silly. It's really more like speed (64 x 44.11k is roughly 2.82Mhz). So on we go, DSD128 is also called 2XDSD or 128fs DSD.

As Bruce said DSD can go up as high as modern converters want to go (currently DSD256 is the highest I've seen on any downloads, and DSD512 is lab stuff, a few floating around).

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Bruce had a post asking about Grimm. Jared's stuff (Channel Classics) is Grimm for the past couple of years; Meitner previously. We didn't have access to Grimm when we up or downconverted the session tracks given to us. I have asked the guys running the site to make a better indication of each track;s source sample rate (since many of the session tracks were original DSD128 and original DSD256, unique to our offerings). Although you can hunt it down in the description.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
They don't have a Horus to record DSD128/256?

Yep, that's what Gonzalo used. You mention "they" but realize NativeDSD is a co-op of labels. Not one label has, necessarily, the same equipment as the next.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yep, that's what Gonzalo used. You mention "they" but realize NativeDSD is a co-op of labels. Not one label has, necessarily, the same equipment as the next.

I thought you were talking about Channel.

Sounds like a good business opportunity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing