Your top five musical pieces (in any format) regardless of recording quality.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
It would appear some members are posting their 5 top songs while others their 5 top albums. For now, I'll go with songs:

1. Genesis, Supper's Ready
2. Genesis, The Cinema Show
3. Pink Floyd, Echoes
4. Pink Floyd, Dogs
5. King Crimson, Epitaph

Ken, no need to get with the new century. Great music stands the test of time.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
I would have to say RUSH, Subdivisions

Why just this one?? Because I was with two other friends and we were on our way to Big Bend Nat Park. We were out in the hinterlands along IH-10 and my two buddies had been badgering me for the last 250 miles to listen to this cassette tape of a band called Rush. (this was Spring Break 1984 and well before CD)...I refused for miles, and stated the last thing I wanted to hear was some boring rock band with "floor-door-window-ceiling" time meters (conductor talk for 4/4 time) and obscene or inane lyrics.....at that point, one of the guys told me that if I listened to it and hated it, he would pay for the gas for the rest of the trip...so, I bit and that was it. The first song up was the title song Subdivisions....in 7/8 time....the first ever rock music I heard in multi meter.....there were others in multi meter as well....and NO obscene lyrics and, three very talented musicians (one who is a KILLER percussionist).....I have been a Rush fan ever since.....

Cheers,

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
1. "Amazing Grace" -- most beautiful love song in the English language
2. "Here, There, Everywhere" -- is this the 2nd most beautiful love song in the English language?
3. "God Bless America" -- another wonderful love song...could only have been written by an immigrant. Choke up every time I hear it.
4. "Gimme Shelter" -- Embodies the 1960's and predicts the turmoil of the decade to follow. Heard it a thousand times and still get goosebumps.
5. Tie: "Summertime" performed by Stanley Turrentine & "Chelsea Bridge" performed by Mulligan/ Webster. My two favorite jazz compositions

Since I'm already cheating I will add one more: "One For My Baby" by Sinatra. Saw Baryshnikov dance to this....perfection!

It's pretty freakin' hard to leave "Over the Rainbow" off the list!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Keith Jarrett, Koln Concert part III
Beethoven, string quartet opus 131, adagio
Dave Brubeck, Koto song
The Who, Love Reign O'me
Led Zeppelin, Since I've been loving you.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
In no particular order:
All along the watchtower..Jimi Hendrix
Bridge of Sighs...Robin Trower
Brothers in Arms...Dire Straits
In the Air tonight...Phil Collins
Little Wing...EC and/or Jimi Hendrix

That old war horse: Stairway to Heaven...Led Zep
Numerous others that aren't coming to mind yet.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Bryan Lee and his Jump Street Five-Live at the Old Absinthe House Bar: Friday Night
Donny Hathaway-Everything Is Everything
Kurt Elling-Live in Chicago
Stan Getz-Bossas & Ballads - The Lost Sessions
Gil Evans- Gil Evans & the Monday Night OrchestraLive at Sweet Basil

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
1. Can't Find My Way Back Home- Blind Faith S/T (glad SQ is not the issue, I have this on UK Polydor, MFSL and US original and all sound bad, but what a wonderful performance and song).
2. Gimme Shelter- Doc got this one already. I'm not a Stones fan, in fact, I'm passively negative on them at this point, but this song has it all- driving beat, edgy, the vocal parts. It evokes a part of the culture of the time that few songs do. (Used with great effect in the opening sequence of The Departed).
3. People Get Ready- Eva Cassidy (I have it on Songbird, can't remember if it was first released on Blues Alley). Great Curtis Mayfield song, done by a singer with range, passion and nuance.
4. Dirt Floor from the album of the same title by Chris Whitley. If you can find the OOP Classic Records vinyl (Messenger Records in NYC was his label at the time and had stock last year), buy it for this cut alone. Male voice and guitar- haunting, lyrical, i am moved everytime I listen to this song/performance.
I'm taking the 5th on the 5th (for now).

Jim Treanor

Jun 30, 2013
Pacific Northwest
In no particular order of preference:

1. Guitarist George Van Eps' rendering of Cliff Burwell's Sweet Lorraine on a 1950's Paul Weston Columbia LP, Solo Mood. As definitive an instrumental evocation of non-syrupy sweetness as I've ever heard.

2. Morton Gould's ballet Fall River Legend, conducted by the composer on an RCA LSC. Somber drama (what else can one call Lizzie Borden and her ax?) interspersed with brief touches of poignant wistfulness that's elegantly conveyed on (to these ears) one of the best-sounding Living Stereos.

3. Julie London singing Cry Me a River on the Liberty LP, Julie Is Her Name. As smoky torchy as you can get, and the album cover--well, let's just say it's worth the price of admission all on its own.

4. Jerry Goldsmith's film score for Chinatown. As evocative of the noirish underbelly of pre-World War II L.A. as the film's take-no-prisoners script.

5. The second movement of Serge Prokofiev's Fifth Symphony, conducted by Eugene Ormandy on Columbia. A pulsing, motoric toe-tapper.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Great Selection

In no particular order:
All along the watchtower..Jimi Hendrix
Bridge of Sighs...Robin Trower
Brothers in Arms...Dire Straits
In the Air tonight...Phil Collins
Little Wing...EC and/or Jimi Hendrix

Great Selection.
What speakers and other system components do you listen to these on?
zz

Last edited by a moderator:

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Great Classic

1. Can't Find My Way Back Home- Blind Faith S/T (glad SQ is not the issue, I have this on UK Polydor, MFSL and US original and all sound bad, but what a wonderful performance and song).

Great Classic.
zz

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I agree with you, Tim. Crosby and friends made a timeless classic. Really like the DVDA release from a few years ago. Played the lp to death in the 70's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing