Your top five musical pieces (in any format) regardless of recording quality.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Let's see what OUR best recordings are.I am talking about the music that gives you goosebumbs
EVERY time,whether you hear it in your home or in your car.I am not talking about top quality recordings
that please your ear with their masterfull recording technique but for music that relates to your inner core...that soothes or troubles your inner self.It could be music related with some particular moment
in your life or that represents a phase you were once into or you are now...
WITH explanations please!I want to see some becauses here...
Think it as a visit to your psychotherapist where the first question is not about your childhood but about
what specific music pieces rock your boat...

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
RE: goosebumbs

I think the songs heard in my childhood and "coming of age" bring on those "goosebumbs" more often than music I currently enjoy.

1. Almost anything by the Beetles
2. David Bowie: Space Oddity
3. Emerson Lake and Palmer: Lucky Man
4. The Doors: Riders on the Storm
5. Yes: Long distance roundabout

Many Jazz classics have the same affect on me now, but for a pop-rock retro-flashback use the list above. In addition, I think that songs which compel you to sing along have a certain "goosebumb advantage".

Many reference recordings in EL-34 tube review:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?27-Tube-Review-Tung-Sol-EL34

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Maybe just five is too short a list!
Anyway after a thorough inspection of my "software" arsenal i've come up with these:
1))"If you wear that velvet dress" by the U2, because it was the soundtrack of many really personal moments...
2)"The fisherman's daughter+White mustang II" from Daniel Lanois, because they are hauntingly beautiful and take me to a place or rocky coasts
wild seas and thick mist covering myths and legends of the past...
3)"Achilles' last stand" by the Led Zep, because it is a rock song that is conceived and executed in such a way that leaves me stunned all the times!
4)"My vengeance" by the Wipers,because it gives me an adrenaline boost whenever i need it!
5)"Oh, del mio dolce ardor'' an aria from "Paris und Helena" written by Gluck and sung from the divine Elly Ameling, just to remind me that there must be a reason for the human presence on earth...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
there are more than 5 of these, but here's five that come to mind....i had to add a 6th....

i have heard all these recordings in various levels of playback quality or circumstance and my world always stops for that moment to take them in.

1-C,S, & N's 'Helplessly Hopeing'--it's just always grabbed me. who knows why?
2-Bruno Walter's Beethoven 6th Symphony....first movement.--definitive performace of arguably the most beautiful music yet written.
3-Bob Segar and the Silver Bullitt Band, 'Against the Wind'.--the flow of it sweeps me along to 'somewhere else'
4-Ray Charles-'America the Beautiful'--i saw him do it live many years ago and it still affects me.
5-Adderly-Davis, 'Know What I Mean', 'Autumn Leaves'.--magical musical moment in every way.
6-The Freewheeling Bob Dylan-'A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall'.--captures something.....a force of nature.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1. Cascades - Rhythm of the Rain (Valiant WS-405). I never get tired of playing this. I was in Grade school in the late 60s and early 70s and our school public address loudspeaker would always play this album at dismissal time. Everyday. lol.

2. Kornet Har Sin Vila (Proprius 7853). I fell in love with the music in this although I don't understand Swedish. lol. We had a lot of these types of songs with choir, guitar, tambourins in the college chapel and the melody of this album is such a charm.

3. Brothers Four Sings Lennon McCartney 'The Beatles Songbook' - Columbia 360 Stereo CS9302. Ever since I heard this in a friend's place, I bought multiple copies of this because my friends who hear it in my place kept buying them up. LOL. I don't mind the images 'pasted' in the speakers, the blending of their voices is just so nice.

4. Music for Double Bass - Rossini, Hayden, Dittersdorf, Keyper. Neville Marriner/Academy of St Martin in the Fields. (EMI ASD 3264) When I heard it in a friend's house playing through the Quad ESL 63s, I thought I was 'seeing' the performers. One of the most pleasant double bass concerto albums I've ever heard.

5. Original Soundtrack from 'The Mambo Kings'. (German pressed LP). I was bowled over by the CD, and it was memorable because the was the first thing I played through my then brand new Magnepan 2.7s. I searched for the vinyl for years, finally found it last year but the seller in Germany ships only to Europe so I had to ask a German friend of mine to buy it and then ship it to me to the Philippines. Took a long time, but wow....goosebumps.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Mike,you added a sixth!That's cheating!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
1. Tuck and Patti Love Warriors Windham Hill Records Jim Hendrix's "Castles in the Sand"
2. Cassaundra Wilson Thunderbird Blue Note A husky raspy voice that will seduce you.
3. Hugh Masekela The Lasting Impressions Of OOGA BOOGA Verve Records. He mastered the trumpet. His voice truly gives the impression he is calling out over the African plains.
4. Lou Rawls Lou Rawls Live Capitol Jazz Records . Live recording with audience feedback. He has a great deep bass voice and the album really rocks
5. Dana Krall Love Scenes Impulse Records Before she got really famous. She sings and plays true jazz.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My tastes run international, but I do have a few stateside favorites..

Percy Faith - Theme from a Summer Place
Camille Saint-saëns - Symphony Nr 3 in C Maj (the 1959 version with Berj Zamkochian)
Joe Hisaishi - Main Theme from Kaze no tani no Nausicaä
Norihiro Tsuru - I Will (The Ancient Sun)
Please Save My Earth - Mizoguchi Hajime - Awakening

If I had to say I have a favorite modern composer, I would say it's Joe Hisaishi (Mamoru Fujisawa). His music is the key to my inner consciousness. The first time I heard the opening theme for Nausicaä, it was from a tape trader, recording on cassette made with a boom box, off an LP with a lousey cartridge/preamp, but I had an out of body experience listening to it. I sat down and listened to it on CD last night and it was a totally immersive experience.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
No such thing as a "top five," but here are five good ones:

Revolver - Because my older brother, a died-in-the-wool Everly Brothers/Roy Orbison/Beach Boys fan, brought it home and decided he didn't like it. I bought it from him and it is my favorite Beatles album to this day.

If I Could Only Remember My Name - David Crosby - Because it is haunting, spacey, delicious and absolutely iconic of its era even though it is so unique that most of it is as fresh today as it was upon release.

It's Too Late To Stop Now - Van Morrison - You can have Get Yer Ya Yas Out. This is the best live album ever made. I wore out the vinyl twice. I own a couple of versions of the CD. "Listen To The Lion" alone is worth the price of admission.

Under The Table And Dreaming - Dave Matthews Band - Because this band, this album, proved to this old guy that the younger generation could be fresh, be creative and play their asses off. Because it was my little girl's first rock concert and I was her date.

Kind of Blue -- Come on. You need a reason?

P

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Mark good recommendation. Which of Joe Hisaishi's albums would you recommend for a first listen for me

Depends on your preferences..

Electronic-oriented, then I would say "The Universe Within"
Romantic/symphonic, dinner music, then try "My Lost City"
Piano lovers will enjoy his "Piano Stories" series of albums.

He's done so many film soundtracks it's hard to recommend just one. Hint: His "Symphonic Suite" versions of soundtracks are the best. I'm thinking of "Mononoke Hime" as one example.

The "Nausicaä" double CD soundtrack/image is a longtime favorite of mine, despite it's sonic sterility of being recorded with 60 microphones in near-field proximity to each instrument.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
1) Shelby Lynne - You don't have to say you love me

2) Mark Knopfler - The Ragpickers dream

3) Willie Nelson - Sunday mornin comin down

4) Cowboy Junkies - I'm so lonesome I could cry

5) Norah Jones - The long way home from (live from Austin TX)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
1. Cream: Sunshine of my Love

2. Donovan: Atlantis

3. Stravinsky: Rite of Spring (Dorati)

4. Beethoven: Symphony #9 Ode to Joy (Reiner)

5. Miles Davis: Autumn Leaves

Honorable mention: Beatles: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
there are more than 5 of these, but here's five that come to mind....i had to add a 6th....

i have heard all these recordings in various levels of playback quality or circumstance and my world always stops for that moment to take them in.

1-C,S, & N's 'Helplessly Hopeing'--it's just always grabbed me. who knows why?
2-Bruno Walter's Beethoven 6th Symphony....first movement.--definitive performace of arguably the most beautiful music yet written.
3-Bob Segar and the Silver Bullitt Band, 'Against the Wind'.--the flow of it sweeps me along to 'somewhere else'
4-Ray Charles-'America the Beautiful'--i saw him do it live many years ago and it still affects me.
5-Adderly-Davis, 'Know What I Mean', 'Autumn Leaves'.--magical musical moment in every way.
6-The Freewheeling Bob Dylan-'A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall'.--captures something.....a force of nature.

Nice choices :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
RE: goosebumbs

I think the songs heard in my childhood and "coming of age" bring on those "goosebumbs" more often than music I currently enjoy.

1. Almost anything by the Beetles
2. David Bowie: Space Oddity
3. Emerson Lake and Palmer: Lucky Man
4. The Doors: Riders on the Storm
5. Yes: Long distance roundabout

Many Jazz classics have the same affect on me now, but for a pop-rock retro-flashback use the list above. In addition, I think that songs which compel you to sing along have a certain "goosebumb advantage".

Many reference recordings in EL-34 tube review:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?27-Tube-Review-Tung-Sol-EL34

Good stuff!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Here's my attempt, in no particular order:

1. Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

2. Jean-Michel Jarre's Equinoxe.

3. Dire Straits' Love Over Gold.

4. Prokoffiev's Lt. Kije (Rainer conducting the CSO).

5. Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds.

Of course, I have many other faves!

Edit: In all of the above, I'm referring to the whole album, rather than just one song.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Marvin Gaye: What's Going On
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells
Supertramp: Crisis? What Crisis?
Rickie Lee Jones: Self-titled Debut

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
#1 with a bullet - Renaissance Scheherazade

and, in no particular order:
- Genesis Selling England By the Pound
- Kate Bush Hounds of Love
- Mary Chapin Carpenter Time*Sex*Love
- Quicksilver Messenger Service Happy Trails

Man, I need to get with the 21st century. :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing