Your theater style:

What is the desgn of your Home Theater

• It exists in a dual purpose room

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • It is in a dedicated room but makes no pretence of being a fancy decor theater

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • It would put Theo Kalomirakis to shame

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I should add that we watch most of our movies in the living room. We multi-task a ton and except for high production value movies, don't want to go and sit in the theater. The "kids" though spend a ton of time in the theater.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I vote dual purpose because the room contains the audio system, home theater, as well as my home office/computer. For a while, it also held my wife's computer/office until I kicked her out (yay, score one for the lion's den!). I informed her that her transgression was merely temporary, but as usual, she tried to make it permanent. She now sends me e-mails from the bedroom.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
With my Scintillas flanking an 80" screen everyone is in the best seat. There is no real sweet spot, and that is a definite advantage when the family is watching a movie. We have a Sanyo PV 3000 and it provides all the goods we desire. This is our living room. Let me correct myself. It is a dining room, but being the biggest room in this 100 year old house, it works wondrously for audio and theater.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The implication being that you sleep in your theater?:rolleyes:

It's been known to happen. It is a good place for naps, she sometimes sleeps there, too.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Since some of us mentioned we utilize a room for both audio and theater, I thought I should mention that there is a distinct advantage in using a projector. When I want to listen to music, I just collapse the screen. That way, I don't have what would have been a large middle stage suck out as would a large hard box Tv.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Since some of us mentioned we utilize a room for both audio and theater, I thought I should mention that there is a distinct advantage in using a projector. When I want to listen to music, I just collapse the screen. That way, I don't have what would have been a large middle stage suck out as would a large hard box Tv.
Well, with flat panel screens around an inch or so in thickness, I would hardly call one "a large hard box Tv." It is no more of an acoustic problem than a similar sized painting or mirror in the same position and, in fact, all can be dealt with, acoustically, similarly: Folding a hinged acoustical panel over for music listening.

Mr.Poindexter

Aug 1, 2010
Hmm, mine is in a dedicated room, but I chose for simple elegance over ostentacious and ornate detailing. Would that qualify as putting Theo to shame?

I just think that sometimes, less is more.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The theater I'm building now doubles or triples as my home office/home server, library, ht. I'll post pics when I'm done.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Used to have two dedicated rooms. One for Music and the smaller one for HT... Now Living Room is the Media Room, soon to move to a larger .. Living Room ..

I value simplcity, the less the better.. Not a fan of Theo's designs too ornate to...much ...

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'd say our HT is a tweener. Nothing over the top but not exactly plain either...:D

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
My theater shares space with my editing studio. It started out as a music listening room in the early 80s, the I added a 19" NEC monitor in 1986, which was replaced with a 32" CRT in 2001, followed by a 47" LCD in 2007 and finally transformed into a full-fledged theater/screening room in 2009.
On one side, I have my two workstations where I compose music, mix audio and edit video and create 3D animations. One the other side is the speakers, hidden now by a 60 sq ft AT screen, driven by an InFocus IN82 projector, which I got off eBay for 20 cents on the dollar, with only 82 hours on it. I've got about 500 hours now and am very happy with the whole setup.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thank you, thank you, thank you audioguy!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a dedicated theater. With the decor, I went for handsome instead of ornate. The color scheme is black and dark brown. Since it is a dedicated theater, my position is that it should should best when the lights are down, which means the room should disappear. Given that, I think we achieved a really pleasing look that looks good when lights are up or down. We opted for dark brown corduroy couches and ottomans rather than theater seats and you can fold out one of the couches and the room can double as a guest room, although guests have been known to sleep very late due to the lack of light. The kids love to have sleepovers in there.

Based on what I've commonly seen in pictures, our room is a unique design. The acoustics were designed by Keith Yates and IMO he did a marvelous job of incorporating the treatments into the room.

We have black carpet and acoustically transparent black fabric between dark brown (non reflective paint) beams in a beamed ceiling. We have dark brown (non-reflective paint) wainscot on the sides of the room. The slats in the wainscot have 1/8 inch gaps between them to let sound through to be absorbed by acoustic material behind them. The rear wall consists of dark brown black out curtains which hide french doors which can be unveiled when the room is being used as guest quarters (there's a full bath and kitchenette just outside the theater). From wainscot to ceiling, we have medium brown acoustically transparent fabric. The screen is surrounded by a shadow box with black fabric.

The screen is acoustically transparent with the center speaker behind. The front L & R are hidden behind the medium brown acoustically transparent fabric above the wainscot which wraps around the front L & R corners to meet the shadow box.

Surround L & R speakers are hidden behind acoustically transparent medium brown fabric above wainsot.

Rear L & R speakers are hidden behind black acoustically transparent fabric between beams in beamed ceiling.

Velodyne in-wall subwoofers are hidden in the center front wall and rear ceiling and there is a JL Fathom subwoofer on the floor in one of the rear corners. It's the only speaker that shows, but the extra oomph is worth it!

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have a dedicated theater. With the decor, I went for handsome instead of ornate. The color scheme is black and dark brown. Since it is a dedicated theater, my position is that it should should best when the lights are down, which means the room should disappear. Given that, I think we achieved a really pleasing look that looks good when lights are up or down. We opted for dark brown corduroy couches and ottomans rather than theater seats and you can fold out one of the couches and the room can double as a guest room, although guests have been known to sleep very late due to the lack of light. The kids love to have sleepovers in there.

Based on what I've commonly seen in pictures, our room is a unique design. The acoustics were designed by Keith Yates and IMO he did a marvelous job of incorporating the treatments into the room.

We have black carpet and acoustically transparent black fabric between dark brown (non reflective paint) beams in a beamed ceiling. We have dark brown (non-reflective paint) wainscot on the sides of the room. The slats in the wainscot have 1/8 inch gaps between them to let sound through to be absorbed by acoustic material behind them. The rear wall consists of dark brown black out curtains which hide french doors which can be unveiled when the room is being used as guest quarters (there's a full bath and kitchenette just outside the theater). From wainscot to ceiling, we have medium brown acoustically transparent fabric. The screen is surrounded by a shadow box with black fabric.

The screen is acoustically transparent with the center speaker behind. The front L & R are hidden behind the medium brown acoustically transparent fabric above the wainscot which wraps around the front L & R corners to meet the shadow box.

Surround L & R speakers are hidden behind acoustically transparent medium brown fabric above wainsot.

Rear L & R speakers are hidden behind black acoustically transparent fabric between beams in beamed ceiling.

Velodyne in-wall subwoofers are hidden in the center front wall and rear ceiling and there is a JL Fathom subwoofer on the floor in one of the rear corners. It's the only speaker that shows, but the extra oomph is worth it!

So where are the pix?? :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing