Your Fitness Routine

Frequency of Exercise per Week

• Total voters

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'm interested in canvassing the members as to their activity levels. As audiophiles, etc., most of us have fairly cerebral (and therefore somewhat sedentary) professions. I do know that a few members here do not fit that description!

Please enter the frequency of exercise sessions per week that are at least 20 minutes in duration. No, walking the dog does not count.... Please limit response to include exercise time that is focused on fitness, such as aerobic work, weight training, active participation in tennis (sports with a fitness requirement), etc.

Lee

Last edited:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Since June we have started an exercise routine and a change of diet to lose weight and to improve our health. I normally work out every day on an elliptical machine for 65 minutes per day and 30 minutes a day on a stationary bicycle. Additionally, if the weather is good or we don't have to cut our time short we normally walk the 1.6 mile round trip to our Home Owners Association Club House where we exercise. So far I have lost about 28.5 to 29 pounds and the other half has lost about 35 pounds. I still want to lose about 13 more pounds and the other half about 10 more.

Rich

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Olympic Lifting
Upper body
Rest/Restorative therapy
Upper Body
Olympic lifting
Kettlebell strength and conditioning
Rest

or

Olympic Lifting
Kettlebells Unloading
Rest/Restorative therapy
Upper Body
Olympic Lifting
Kettlebells Strength and Conditioning
Rest

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

45 to 60 minutes of strenuous aerobics every day. ( Varied: elliptical, Stair machine running, jogging. I run less these days, knees were getting painful .
20 to 30 minutes of Yoga/Stretching every day
20 minutes of Sauna 5 times a week
Strength training with free weight 3 times a week about 30 minutes/session for muscle building (This so far has resulted in almost nothing except better muscle tones, no serious muscle growth) :(

I exercise every day 7/7

Very careful about what I eat. Used to be a low fat person. Not anymore. I now follow a high fat ( Real Butter, Real Milk, Real dairy Products, Coconut Oil, NO VEGETABLE OIL,except the occasional Olive Oil, Protein-rich (mostly in the form of undenatured Whey) mostly vegetarian but eat fish, no meat regimen and have never felt better.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Hi

45 to 60 minutes of strenuous aerobics every day. ( Varied: elliptical, Stair machine running, jogging. I run less these days, knees were getting painful .
20 to 30 minutes of Yoga/Stretching every day
20 minutes of Sauna 5 times a week
Strength training with free weight 3 times a week about 30 minutes/session for muscle building (This so far has resulted in almost nothing except better muscle tones, no serious muscle growth) :(

I exercise every day 7/7

Very careful about what I eat. Used to be a low fat person. Not anymore. I now follow a high fat ( Real Butter, Real Milk, Real dairy Products, Coconut Oil, NO VEGETABLE OIL,except the occasional Olive Oil, Protein-rich (mostly in the form of undenatured Whey) mostly vegetarian but eat fish, no meat regimen and have never felt better.

Frantz,

Good work!

Between your level of aerobic work and your age, it's unlikely that you will see a significant change in muscle size at this point. However, muscle mass and density have been called the determinant of youth... you're doing the right thing.

Also, hydrogenated fats and oils are convenient, but far less healthy than their vendors wish us to believe. Natural butter, ice cream , etc. only pose the threat of caloric overload when eaten in "reasonable" amounts. The body is adept at digestion of milk proteins (lactose.... not always, but fairly easily addressed).

Lee

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

Good work!

Between your level of aerobic work and your age, it's unlikely that you will see a significant change in muscle size at this point. However, muscle mass and density have been called the determinant of youth... you're doing the right thing.

Also, hydrogenated fats and oils are convenient, but far less healthy than their vendors wish us to believe. Natural butter, ice cream , etc. only pose the threat of caloric overload when eaten in "reasonable" amounts. The body is adept at digestion of milk proteins (lactose.... not always, but fairly easily addressed).

Lee

Man! I am 52 and had expected to see some welcome changes.. Yes. the tone is there ..but man! I have seen commercial of very old men becoming muscular and cut and well... more muscles.. Would it only be Photoshop? No!! say I :cool:.. I will persist !!, I will prove you wrong !! :)
On the hydrogenated oil I am very much against these. It is a not well known fact that most if not all Vegetable Oil must be hydrogenated to have a decent shelf life.. From the Corn Oil to Soy or really any vegetable oil including the strange thing Canola Oil is .. they are all hydrogenated ... MArgarine is that too ... The only oils I consume are Coconut Oil . I cook with it and take directly in my breakfast about 2 Tsb. And of course Extra Virgin really Cold Pressed Olive Oil .. with which I don't cook usually.. Add it after cooking ...

P.S Edited.. I know the dangers of Hydrogenated oils and fats.. They are absolutely out of my diet for the past 3 years...

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There are very steep streets that go up the foothills in my neighborhood.

These lead to trail heads with steep trails that go up the sides of Mount Tamalpais.

Three or four times a week, I hike, taking the steepest paths and trails up the mountain -- anywhere from an 60 to 90 minutes.

It's beautiful up there right now.

The creeks and waterfalls are really flowing.

When the weather is better, I also golf once in awhile and when I do, I carry my clubs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I run to the fridge to grab a beer.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think I read an article about centenarians a few years ago. They found no particular trend or dietary patterns or "secrets", and were surprised a number of them had committed every abuse to their bodies known to man. One doctor stated that some of them had done everything but thrown a nuclear bomb at their bodies, and still lived to be 100. There are populations where longevity seems most associated with lifelong, meaningful work and deep family and community ties but little else.

A lot of those older men sporting muscles are probably also sporting growth hormone injections and anabolic steroids/testosterone patches. That is a genie I would not want to tamper with unless I had an identified deficiency state.

Genetics accounts for a lot, and luck.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm a "southern boy". Raised on deep fried foods and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I haven't strayed far from that routine. Once you reach the big 50, you start thinking about mortality. I don't drink/smoke. I try to raise my heartrate by taking steps instead of the elevator. I either sit in an OR all day or sit behind the mastering console. When I was in the Army, I ran 5-6mi. every single day, but my last military day was in '98. I found my weight fluctuates from 190 in the summer to 200 in the winter. I'm not diabetic or have HBP. I consider myself pretty healthy compared to many of my collegues. What I can't stand is a fat Nurse or Health Professional. I cracked up at an overweight RD I saw the other day. LOL

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
cjfrbw

Could be true but it is wise to not stack the decks against you .. Few of us are "Genetics Warriors" .. Once in a while it is good to rev the engine so that it functions a little better ... For most people and most engines not doing that and not putting/using good food/fuel has been shown to translate in general and (unfortunately) untimely malfunction ...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I tend to believe that if you don't drink excessively, don't smoke, don't have diabetes, don't have a drug addiction, don't have excessive high blood pressure, and you make a point of regular moderate exercise, then you have done 95 percent of what can be done for your general health and longevity.

Outside of that would be to make your life mean something and maintain family and social ties.

If the reaper is going to get you, not much you can do about it and worrying won't help.

I exercise for my mind more than for my body, it just makes me feel better to do it, but I had a physiology professor from England who stated that whenever he had the urge to exercise, he took a nap until it went away.

He thought genetics and metabolism accounted for just about everything, and the rituals surrounding health and nutrition were mostly window dressing and nonsense. He had the attitude that mental toughness and common sense were more important than physical toughness.

He had a lot of neat anecdotes of athletes who had exercised to death, including young ones who thought that the cure for a cold or flu was to "run it off" and collapsed dead.

I do think you have a great exercise and life regimen, Frantz, something to be emulated for those with the discipline.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think it's good to exercise simply because it makes you feel better and reduces stress. As far as longevity, I think the physiology professor is probably right on when he said that genetics and metabolism account for so much.

You read all of the studies and to my mind, this is usually born out.

The holistic types are always touting vitamin and herbal supplements for longevity.

The pharmaceutical companies fund studies that show vitamin and herbal supplements do not result in longer life.

Pharmaceutical companies tout prescription drugs, but if you read the fine print on the studies cited to support them, these have almost the exact same results.

Here's an example;

Statin drugs like Lipitor are huge right now. Almost every doctor is prescribing them. It is quite common to hear health professionals say we should be putting it in our water supply so everyone will be on them. They cite all of these studies.

When I read the studies, it seems to me like Statin drugs reduce some incidents, but you have to read very deeply and carefully to learn that, basically, this does not result in longer life for those in the study, it just means the people on Statin drugs die of something else instead, often suspected side effects from taking -- guess what -- Statin drugs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think it's good to exercise simply because it makes you feel better and reduces stress. As far as longevity, I think the physiology professor is probably right on when he said that genetics and metabolism account for so much.

You read all of the studies and to my mind, this is usually born out.

The holistic types are always touting vitamin and herbal supplements for longevity.

The pharmaceutical companies fund studies that show vitamin and herbal supplements do not result in longer life.

Pharmaceutical companies tout prescription drugs, but if you read the fine print on the studies cited to support them, these have almost the exact same results.

Here's an example;

Statin drugs like Lipitor are huge right now. Almost every doctor is prescribing them. It is quite common to hear health professionals say we should be putting it in our water supply so everyone will be on them. They cite all of these studies.

When I read the studies, it seems to me like Statin drugs reduce some incidents, but you have to read very deeply and carefully to learn that, basically, this does not result in longer life for those in the study, it just means the people on Statin drugs die of something else instead, often suspected side effects from taking -- guess what -- Statin drugs.

Rob, I agree with everything you said until your last sentence. Statins (esp Lipitor is a great drug) might have side effects and perhaps a death (but this is rare) should be used only when the benefits exceed the risks. Careful of what you quote Rob ;)

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Do you believe the studies show that taking statins results in greater longevity?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing