You ain't heard Pink Floyd like this...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well, it is a great song, but only this cover version has revealed its true potential (grin).

Seriously, I find Wish You Were Here the much greater album. Also The Wall beats DSOTM, imo.

Say it ain't so!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
DSOTM was released 42 years ago!, Four years after man landed on the bright side of the moon (actually all sides of the moon get dark over a month.) How many of you weren't born yet? :)

Larry
I wrote a review of it for my college newspaper (from a pre-release promo copy), and as a Pink Floyd fan (of their material up to that time) I wasn't too happy with the new direction DSOTM heralded...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wrote a review of it for my college newspaper (from a pre-release promo copy), and as a Pink Floyd fan (of their material up to that time) I wasn't too happy with the new direction DSOTM heralded...

Interesting, as there was already evidence of that with Meddle.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With this insipid version, I 100% agree ;)

So please, tell us, what is so 'insipid' about it?

Or is anything that just happens to be not of your taste, 'insipid'?

And no, I don't see this as 'jazz lite'. I say this as one who listens to the most hardcore avantgarde that would have many people run for the door screaming...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Interesting, as there was already evidence of that with Meddle.
And even more with Obscurred By Clouds, but since that was a soundtrack I hoped it was an aberration...

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
So please, tell us, what is so 'insipid' about it?

Or is anything that just happens to be not of your taste, 'insipid'?

And no, I don't see this as 'jazz lite'. I say this as one who listens to the most hardcore avantgarde that would have many people run for the door screaming...

I like Jazz, however not bland ho hum cover versions like this imo. We have heard this stuff a 1000 times before. Does nobody actually write new Jazz music anymore?

But that is the great thing about music - one persons fillet steak is another's dead cow.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
On a totally different note...

One of my favorite all time singers is the great Bettye LaVette.

Here cover of Wish You Were Here, like the entire, superb album, Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook, takes the gritty, R&B route, as opposed to jazz.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Not a Pink Floyd fan (take away my audiophile membership card), but if I'm gonna listen to a PF cover it's gonna be the Scissor Sisters...

[video=vimeo;63325212]http://vimeo.com/63325212[/video]

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

I felt the opposite. Before DSOTM I felt Pink Floyd was just rambling with no direction. Then all of a sudden, everything came together, and DSOTM was born. I was in my third year of a four year term in the Navy when DSOTM was released.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Not a Pink Floyd fan (take away my audiophile membership card), but if I'm gonna listen to a PF cover it's gonna be the Scissor Sisters...

Now this an inventive cover version. the album is not too bad either.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I felt the opposite. Before DSOTM I felt Pink Floyd was just rambling with no direction. Then all of a sudden, everything came together, and DSOTM was born. I was in my third year of a four year term in the Navy when DSOTM was released.

Hmm. IMO WYWH and Animals returned to a style closer to earlier albums, then The Wall back towards DSOTM. I know which of those I still prefer... )

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

This is an experience that I don't think any of the super systems could even get close to recreating. Like a Pink Floyd show, it involves all of the senses, taste and touch being at the fore.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Not a Pink Floyd fan (take away my audiophile membership card), but if I'm gonna listen to a PF cover it's gonna be the Scissor Sisters..

LOL Your card has officially been revoked :D

I am really not sure how Pink Floyd every became associated with Audiophiles. My friends and I in junior high would spin Floyd albums
for hours and I remember I was 12 when the Wall came out..I had never even heard the term audiophile and would not for decades.

Same applied to Norah Jones and Shelby Lynne.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Best Albums...no particular order...
Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall....
Replace The Wall with The Division Bell and we totally agree.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am really not sure how Pink Floyd every became associated with Audiophiles. My friends and I in junior high would spin Floyd albums
for hours and I remember I was 12 when the Wall came out..I had never even heard the term audiophile and would not for decades.

Same applied to Norah Jones and Shelby Lynne.

I think the answer lies with the fact that PF were some of the first to use electronic effects. ELP were also doing this, and some of their LP's were also used to demonstrate "effects".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing