ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Steve, what are the stock tubes in the ML3? Usually and IME, most tube manufacturers settle on readily available inexpensive tubes from the standard Russian suppliers. The very same manufacturers then spout that these are the best tubes for their gear. This makes sense, since from their perspective it would not be good business to state that their stock tubes can be easily surpassed and since most NOS tubes are not that easy to source and at reasonable pricing. (Never mind condition etc.,)
However, I have NEVER heard any tube gear that couldn’t be improved by rolling in some great NOS tubes. I’m sure you got a nice upswing when you rolled in the Telefunken...question is what more is available with the other tubes.

The only tubes you can roll are the 12AX7s if desired, don't have a choice on the other ones, Lamm simplicity!

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Can anyone think of an inherently bright tube amp..or tube preamp for that matter?

Don't want to go there in this thread, so many that sound very hifi with the worst possible mass market solid state characteristics.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I turned down the chance to buy Nat Audio SETs in 2013, feeling them to be too full blooded tonally, with what SEEMED a reticent treble. I went down the Audion SETs 845 route instead, initially preferring their “lighter” presentation.
But my thoughts were never far from the NATs, and I took the plunge w them in 2015.
And haven’t regretted the decision for a moment.
And living w them has shown me that the centre of gravity tonally may appear to have been lower than I was used to, but this was just the effect of their fully fleshed our presentation, and indeed there is no lack of treble info, it’s just not at the expense of the mids.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Congrats dear Mike

You will enjoy a lot.
I have a room that is around 80 sqm,my speaker is 97 db at 8 ohm and when i had before Kondo Souga,2A3 parallel single end with 8 watt,the power was enough for 80 % music i listen,
so yuo will not have power problems

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, what are the stock tubes in the ML3? Usually and IME, most tube manufacturers settle on readily available inexpensive tubes from the standard Russian suppliers. The very same manufacturers then spout that these are the best tubes for their gear. This makes sense, since from their perspective it would not be good business to state that their stock tubes can be easily surpassed and since most NOS tubes are not that easy to source and at reasonable pricing. (Never mind condition etc.,)
However, I have NEVER heard any tube gear that couldn’t be improved by rolling in some great NOS tubes. I’m sure you got a nice upswing when you rolled in the Telefunken...question is what more is available with the other tubes.

Sorry Davey but Vlad is most emphatic against tube rolling in any of his electronics. As I stated he knows his tubes and where to source them. That's where I buy mine

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) thanks Steve. I did enjoy the ML3's both times at your place.

one attraction was the absence of tube stress; meaning me stressing over tube choices. I already know I love the sound of the amp as it is.

(...)

GM70's with carbon or copper plates? :D

One of the reasons I love the conrad johnson's or ARC's is that we do not need to enter the ultra expensive NOS tube race. They stayed with current tubes.

Steve Williams

The only tubes you can roll are the 12AX7s if desired, don't have a choice on the other ones, Lamm simplicity!

david

and that is precisely what I did. I have used the ECC803S starting with my ML2.1 and now with the ML3 having found literally a brand new and unopened matched pair of Tele's

Vlad literally will provide a matched set with every tube order. In fact he always recommends buying an extra set of tubes for each channel. When a tube blows you take out the old set and send them back to Vlad in their proper boxes and insert the new set. He checks the returned tubes and determines which one is faulty and will send back the old set of tubes with a matched replacement. You remove your extra set and reinsert the set he returned to you

There is NO need to roll tubes with any Lamm component

Steve Williams

One of the reasons I love the conrad johnson's or ARC's is that we do not need to enter the ultra expensive NOS tube race. They stayed with current tubes.

Vlad suplies carbon plate GM-70 tubes and they are excellent UNTIL you hear the copper plate GM-70 which IMO are in a league of their own. They are not cheap and difficult to find matched sets. When I bought the amp from him he had IIRC 6 pair of perfectly matched copper plate GM-70's. IIRC Vlad has a pair, I have a pair and David has a pair. There is another member here who also uses a pair. They are not inexpensive but worth every penny as they are IMO so much more natural sounding

The only tube which needs frequent replacement is the 6N30P quad set as they should be replaced every 18 months. The other tubes last 10,000 hours

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry Davey but Vlad is most emphatic against tube rolling in any of his electronics. As I stated he knows his tubes and where to source them. That's where I buy mine

Same thing goes for most tube designers that I know. For years Ken Stevens was exactly the same way, now he will bend a little on this subject. (I can’t tell you how many times he and I went back and forth on this very issue!) Like I said before, if I were in their position as a manufacturer, I would expound the same thing. (For very good reason).
However, I’m sure you heard the benefit of rolling in the various tubes that you did....only question is what are the other tubes that Vlad uses in his amps and his preamps. In the preamps, I’m very certain that the tubes speced could be improved upon. Personally I really couldn’t care that much as to what the designer believes is the best tube for his product, I’m all about using my own ears, and if they tell me he’s right...great. If not, then onwards we go.
YMMV.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

The Audio Research equipment that I owned (Ref 5 SE and Phono 2 SE) sound much better with upgraded 6H30s over the stock Sovteks.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Audio Research equipment that I owned (Ref 5 SE and Phono 2 SE) sound much better with upgraded 6H30s over the stock Sovteks.

No surprise whatsoever. If you ask ARC what tubes they recommend, they are going to tell you the stock Sovteks.
From their perspective, sourcing and listening to various 6h30’s makes no sense. Sovteks are fairly reliable, easy to source and fairly consistent.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There is NO need to roll tubes with any Lamm component

But, Steve, it sounds like you did change both the 12ax7 and GM-70s or am I misreading what you did?

Steve Williams

But, Steve, it sounds like you did change both the 12ax7 and GM-70s or am I misreading what you did?

No, only the 12AX7 for the Holy Grail an NOS ECC803S matched set. This is the only tube that Vlad has no problem with rolling

I bought the GM-70 Copper plate from Vlad when I bought the ML3/LL1/LP1. He supplies carbon plate as stock. The copper plate is used by Vlad, David, myself and another member here on WBF. Vlad had only 6 matched sets of the copper plate. They can be found online but not like the ones he sold us. The copper plate adds a whole lot more money. I can say that the carbon plate has a better bottom end than the copper plate BUT the copper plate is much more natural sounding

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No, only the 12AX7 for the Holy Grail an NOS ECC803S matched set. This is the only tube that Vlad has no problem with rolling

I bought the GM-70 Copper plate from Vlad when I bought the ML3/LL1/LP1. He supplies carbon plate as stock. The copper plate is used by Vlad, David, myself and another member here on WBF. Vlad had only 6 matched sets of the copper plate. They can be found online but not like the ones he sold us. The copper plate adds a whole lot more money. I can say that the carbon plate has a better bottom end than the copper plate BUT the copper plate is much more natural sounding

Those Tele ECC803s require a home equity loan!

I know how nice the ECC 801s are so I am sure the 803s are equally nice.

Steve Williams

Those Tele ECC803s require a home equity loan!

I know how nice the ECC 801s are so I am sure the 803s are equally nice.

They are truly better than any other 12AX7 I have ever used. They call them the Holy Grail for good reason

I also have a perfect matched quad set of NOS Tele ECC801S on my Doshi Tape pre. That was the only tube I rolled on that component. As Mike L says and I agree, I have no desire to roll tubes especially when the mfr strongly advises against doing such

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing